Lack of tackling?

Does this going "live" mean O vs D or does it also include tackling drills.

We suck in the fall and witness teams rolling NU on the ground again, I'll be right in line as a naysayer. Until then, I am trusting a defensive staff with like 300 yrs experience will get things to work.

We have been an unsound team on both sides of the ball for 7 years........ I am hoping to see this staff change that.

• Fire 2

You dont get to a Major Div 1 level as a football player by not already knowing how to tackle. Do those skills need freshed and refined? Sure. Just like anything else. But under the circumstances this spring with a new staff and pretty new systems and the extremely limited time, I'm of the opinion that we have far more important things to worry about. Not tackling guys to the ground creates efficiency. Like the radios in the helmets to call the plays. Any second you save here and there adds up in a two hour practice. And I agree with getting the x's and o'x down first. Let's perfect getting the guys there first. They can worry about getting them on the ground later. Cuz tackling skill does no good if youre not in the correct position.

Until then, I am trusting a defensive staff with like 300 yrs experience will get things to work.

I think the experience thing is getting way too much importance put on it. Just because you've done something for a long time, doesn't mean you're excellent at it.

I saw what a complete lack of experience got us. The awesome 9 wins and monumental losses. I'll try experience this year.

While I agree, experience doesn't translate to excellence, but at least this staff will have a knowledge base to draw from in an attempt to negate one guy from getting 408 yrds or giving up like 30 unanswered points, giving up 60+ points etc.... No way will this experience hurt us IMO.

Will it get us back to conference championships? I have no idea. My concern is with the lack of success the staff had at Oregon St. I hope that our talent level,coupled with the staff's experience will get us another win or two per year and avoid the embarrassments that have been a part of NU history for the past like 11 years..... I also hope that their collective experience will allow them to realize we might not have a true "passing threat" QB to completely and effectively run Riley's vision so the O gets tailored to where talent meet technique. Recruit for what you want to be, but use what you have to compliment what you know.

Until then, I am trusting a defensive staff with like 300 yrs experience will get things to work.

I think the experience thing is getting way too much importance put on it. Just because you've done something for a long time, doesn't mean you're excellent at it.

I saw what a complete lack of experience got us. The awesome 9 wins and monumental losses. I'll try experience this year.

While I agree, experience doesn't translate to excellence, but at least this staff will have a knowledge base to draw from in an attempt to negate one guy from getting 408 yrds or giving up like 30 unanswered points, giving up 60+ points etc.... No way will this experience hurt us IMO.

Will it get us back to conference championships? I have no idea. My concern is with the lack of success the staff had at Oregon St. I hope that our talent level,coupled with the staff's experience will get us another win or two per year and avoid the embarrassments that have been a part of NU history for the past like 11 years..... I also hope that their collective experience will allow them to realize we might not have a true "passing threat" QB to completely and effectively run Riley's vision so the O gets tailored to where talent meet technique. Recruit for what you want to be, but use what you have to compliment what you know.

I agree with that sentiment, but I just think too many people are hanging their hats on the fact that our new staff has more experience. The fact that we have 3 DC's on the defense doesn't really get me exited either, especially since none of them produced great defenses.

I'm playing wait and see with everything because I'm jaded from the last 15 years.

Dude....Hank Hughes produced great defenses at Connecticut...some nationally ranked in the top 10. I realize it's Connecticut but being ranked in the top 10 is hard regardless of where you coach. His defenses versus the run were ranked even higher.

I'm excited that we have this much experience on our defensive side of the ball...I know this: After watching Wisconsin run all over and us making little to no adjustments, it can't get much worse...the only way to go is up.

Hughes had 2 "top 10" defenses (YPG only), and a bunch of average/bad ones, playing in the old Big East/AAC. My wife's a USF grad, so I've watch alot of that conference, and UConn's D wasn't impressive against any team that had speed.

I surely hope we improve, but I just haven't fully bought in yet. Maybe after the pre-season mags hit...