Lack of tackling?

Last staff was dogged for not tackling enough so I guess my concerns would still be there for this staff too until proven otherwise. I think it would be hard to evaluate our RB's as they have only probably done about a handful of live plays apiece. THis should not effect our Line play on either side bc they are live even when we dont tackle. Maybe they are scared at our poor depth at LB and dont want to get anyone hurt.

Exactly...we were all "mad" about the lack of tackling and now we are going to pretend like its all good.

Personally...I don't like a lot of live tackling in practice. I am a firm believer that, especially by college, you are either good at tackling or you are not.

But isn't tackling a fundamental skill? Something that can be improved with coaching?

That said, it's been refreshing to make it through spring camp with fewer injuries than we've seen in the past.

Up to a point...I think like FT shooting...you kind of "are who you are" at a certain point...if not...we could all be hitting 100% of our shots.

Lets face it...tackling is one of two things...wrapping up or taking out the legs.

I don't know if you need 100 reps of tackling 3 times a week at the college level to figure that out.

I have done it both ways...seasons with tons of tackling and seasons with almost no tackling...both have worked great and both have been horrible.

Agree on this. Some kids are just not good tacklers and some are. Just how it is.

I thought that I heard somewhere about how the Seahawks have completely changed the way they teach tackling. I want to say that they basically teach guys to aim their head behind the ball carriers hip and then wrap and fall or something like that. Would be interesting to see that stats on this technique.

2 years ago (2013) IIRC, they had the D staff actually work with some Australian rules footballers to "learn" to tackle without pads. Carroll said this resulted in more sure tackling, less injuries and less penalties for targeting and personal fouls..... Worked/works for them.

• Fire 1

Last staff was dogged for not tackling enough so I guess my concerns would still be there for this staff too until proven otherwise. I think it would be hard to evaluate our RB's as they have only probably done about a handful of live plays apiece. THis should not effect our Line play on either side bc they are live even when we dont tackle. Maybe they are scared at our poor depth at LB and dont want to get anyone hurt.

Exactly...we were all "mad" about the lack of tackling and now we are going to pretend like its all good.

Personally...I don't like a lot of live tackling in practice. I am a firm believer that, especially by college, you are either good at tackling or you are not.

But isn't tackling a fundamental skill? Something that can be improved with coaching?

That said, it's been refreshing to make it through spring camp with fewer injuries than we've seen in the past.

Up to a point...I think like FT shooting...you kind of "are who you are" at a certain point...if not...we could all be hitting 100% of our shots.

Lets face it...tackling is one of two things...wrapping up or taking out the legs.

I don't know if you need 100 reps of tackling 3 times a week at the college level to figure that out.

I have done it both ways...seasons with tons of tackling and seasons with almost no tackling...both have worked great and both have been horrible.

Agree on this. Some kids are just not good tacklers and some are. Just how it is.

I thought that I heard somewhere about how the Seahawks have completely changed the way they teach tackling. I want to say that they basically teach guys to aim their head behind the ball carriers hip and then wrap and fall or something like that. Would be interesting to see that stats on this technique.

2 years ago (2013) IIRC, they had the D staff actually work with some Australian rules footballers to "learn" to tackle without pads. Carroll said this resulted in more sure tackling, less injuries and less penalties for targeting and personal fouls..... Worked/works for them.

That's what I was thinking of. Thanks for providing the details I couldn't remember.

Seems to work pretty well for those guys. Might be something that other coaches should take a look into.

Not concerned at all. Our coaches with 20+ years of experience know better than every single person posting in this forum...

Yep. Cause Tackling hasn't been a problem the last few years...

gordon.0.gif

VacantFemaleJoey.gif

iowa-bounces-off-tackle-for-touchdown-be

stiffgif.gif

HOLY CRAP!!! YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!! THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN TACKING ON DAY 1 OF SPRING CAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sarcasm

Seriously man, there will be plenty of time to actually tackle when they're not learning how to run the offense or how to run the defense.

You think our coaches might want them to figure out where they are supposed to be on a play and what their assignment is so that they can work together as a team before they run and take someone to the ground? I'm pretty sure the coaches do.

No, I don't think they should have been tacking on the first day of spring camp.

Yes, I believe that they need to install the offense and defense.

Yes, you pay these guys enough money, and they have enough experience to do both. Every practice should have a session where fundamentals are gone over. Yes, Riley is an old pro, he knows the deal.

But when I can continue posting Gifs from different games where there were defensive breakdowns.....

McNeese-4th-and-1-conversion.gif

Along with not getting off blocks and missing tackles....

SecondImaginaryHochstettersfrog.gif

...I think it's fairly obvious where the problem lies....

1Ia6HVL.gif

You can't install a defense if the fundamentals aren't practiced. Plenty of time to install the offense/defense. And, I'm pretty sure that the defense that they're installing is nowhere as complex as the Bo-Fense they've been running for years.

Not concerned at all. Our coaches with 20+ years of experience know better than every single person posting in this forum...

Yep. Cause Tackling hasn't been a problem the last few years...

gordon.0.gif

VacantFemaleJoey.gif

iowa-bounces-off-tackle-for-touchdown-be

stiffgif.gif

HOLY CRAP!!! YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!! THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN TACKING ON DAY 1 OF SPRING CAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sarcasm

Seriously man, there will be plenty of time to actually tackle when they're not learning how to run the offense or how to run the defense.

You think our coaches might want them to figure out where they are supposed to be on a play and what their assignment is so that they can work together as a team before they run and take someone to the ground? I'm pretty sure the coaches do.

No, I don't think they should have been tacking on the first day of spring camp.

Yes, I believe that they need to install the offense and defense.

Yes, you pay these guys enough money, and they have enough experience to do both. Every practice should have a session where fundamentals are gone over. Yes, Riley is an old pro, he knows the deal.

But when I can continue posting Gifs from different games where there were defensive breakdowns.....

McNeese-4th-and-1-conversion.gif

Along with not getting off blocks and missing tackles....

SecondImaginaryHochstettersfrog.gif

...I think it's fairly obvious where the problem lies....

1Ia6HVL.gif

You can't install a defense if the fundamentals aren't practiced. Plenty of time to install the offense/defense. And, I'm pretty sure that the defense that they're installing is nowhere as complex as the Bo-Fense they've been running for years.

I'm pretty sure I can find more examples of sound tackling than you can misses...it proves two things

Jack and $h!t....and Jack left town. How about you stop posting gif since this is supposed to be about THIS YEARS TEAM and not the teams of the past.

No sir. This thread, the last time I checked, was "lack of tackling" and it does have to do with this year's team.

This was coming from a Lincoln Journal Star reporter who, in covering this very same group of young men last year, made a fairly interesting observation that this year's team hasn't gone live but 24 times (at the time posted). Probably from a guy who is at practice and has enough brain sense to put the following together:

Team has remnants of last years team.

Team lacked physicality on the defensive side of the ball at the point of attack.

Team lacked physicality on the defensive side of the ball in shedding of blocks.

Team has new defensive coordinator whose defenses aren't known for doing any of the above well.

Team has nine returning starters from the 2014 - 2015 season, so a majority of the guys in the pics I've posted are yes, still here.

If your defense is out of position, it's a scheme/discipline issue. Hopefully, the lack of discipline departed on November 30, 2014.

If your defense can't shed blocks and misses tackles, it's a technique/strength and conditioning issue.

msu-langford-17.gif

Unfortunately, one of the best games they played defensively last year isn't known for the defense they played. It's more known for this:

nebraska-lineman-falls-over.gif

Lastly - when I coached (yes, seven years I did), the first week, we didn't even put the kids in pads. Everybody was helmets and shorts only. We worked on our playbook and schemes then.

The next week? We went pads....AND worked on our playbook and schemes then.

You have to know who your gamers are. Putting the guys that get your scheme down in the classroom on the field is okay, but they all better be hitters with bad intentions, otherwise it does you no good. Besides. The game is about bare fundamentals at any level. Don't believe me? Let me quote this guy:

"Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist but football is only two things - blocking and tackling."

- Vince Lombardi

I think he knew more about football than most.

Oh, and there is that trusty 'IGNORE' function that you can use if you don't like what I'm saying.

• Fire 2