Preseason 2016 NFL Draft Prospects.

Don't 99% of college football players not get drafted? Saying cross most likely won't get drafted or doesn't end up getting drafted doesn't mean he sucks. He's a good player who has made contributions every year he's been here. Just because he is a hard worker, stays out of trouble and looks impressive coming off the bus doesn't mean he's an NFL quality player. I hope I'm wrong and he has the monster year that would get him drafted I just have yet to see that kind of play out of him.

Very true, a lot of players don't get drafted. Imani MIGHT not. I'd say this though, if this guy:

53fc06ac44dd5.image.jpg?resize=300%2C450

doesn't have the speed or receiving ability to play RB for my NFL team, he probably has the size, speed and knowledge of the RB position that would make him an interesting player at LB'er.

The NFL might be a little late in the game to be making wholesale position changes, but it wouldn't be the first time. An NFL coach or GM might, just might see Cross's size and athleticism as a valuable asset, whether it's at RB or not.

Still, I think it's too early to write him off from RB or anywhere else for that matter. I wish him luck.

Very true, a lot of players don't get drafted. Imani MIGHT not. I'd say this though, if this guy:

53fc06ac44dd5.image.jpg?resize=300%2C450

doesn't have the speed or receiving ability to play RB for my NFL team, he probably has the size, speed and knowledge of the RB position that would make him an interesting player at LB'er.

The NFL might be a little late in the game to be making wholesale position changes, but it wouldn't be the first time. An NFL coach or GM might, just might see Cross's size and athleticism as a valuable asset, whether it's at RB or not.

Still, I think it's too early to write him off from RB or anywhere else for that matter. I wish him luck.

a position move would be interesting it worked for Cody glenn
  • Fire 1

Cross has the misfortune of playing in an offense that doesn't fit his talents. When I saw Le'veon Bell in college, I was never impressed with him or thought he was going to be much of anything at the next level, now he's a stud in the NFL. I think that those two compare in skill sets.

Excellent comparison. Wish I'd have thought of that.

I agree, I think Cross's skills are overlooked because he just plain didn't belong in Becks offense. I think NFL scouts will see more than just stats.

Let's see what Riley and staff have in store. Hopefully it's a bit more north and south run game. Also, I hope this staff recognizes personnel advantages more than the last staff. Cross should see more touches in a more traditional offense, especially in those short yard situations.

Cross has the misfortune of playing in an offense that doesn't fit his talents. When I saw Le'veon Bell in college, I was never impressed with him or thought he was going to be much of anything at the next level, now he's a stud in the NFL. I think that those two compare in skill sets.

Excellent comparison. Wish I'd have thought of that.

I agree, I think Cross's skills are overlooked because he just plain didn't belong in Becks offense. I think NFL scouts will see more than just stats.

Let's see what Riley and staff have in store. Hopefully it's a bit more north and south run game. Also, I hope this staff recognizes personnel advantages more than the last staff. Cross should see more touches in a more traditional offense, especially in those short yard situations.

This is exactly why I think he will get drafted. If 4 FB's can get taken last year, Fowler from Alabama being the only impressive one, I see no reason why Cross would even get checked off the list. If players his size wasn't being drafted in that position, I would agree, but this kid will get drafted unless he has an injury.

• Fire 1

I do not think he will get drafted, however. Yes his measurables might come out good, but when it comes down to playing RB, you have to have something on tape to state your case. And I don't think he will. UDFA is going to be his route, if he goes.

Cross has averaged over 5 yards a carry every season he's played. Against the toughest competition Nebraska has faced, Nebraska's losses, he also averaged over five yards a carry, Newby and Ameer can't say that. Considering the high percentage of short yardage carries, it's even more impressive. If he were put in Iowa's offensive scheme, he would be a 1000+ runner. I bet he doesn't get over looked by the NFL scouts.

• Fire 1

Cross was a victim in Beck's basketball on grass or whatever the heck it was supposed to be. He is not a speedy, juking back. He is a North South plant your foot type of runner IMO. Beck wanted a shifty skat back and Cross tried to become that. Losing weight, trying to run outside etc... The system Riley uses (per reports) with the traps, countwer and draws should play to Cross' talents and allow him to show what he is capable off. IIRC, he did have the longest run last year......

I am looking forward to what he can do. Especially since Riley says he will scheme around the talents of the layers.

I do not think he will get drafted, however. Yes his measurables might come out good, but when it comes down to playing RB, you have to have something on tape to state your case. And I don't think he will. UDFA is going to be his route, if he goes.

Cross has averaged over 5 yards a carry every season he's played. Against the toughest competition Nebraska has faced, Nebraska's losses, he also averaged over five yards a carry, Newby and Ameer can't say that. Considering the high percentage of short yardage carries, it's even more impressive. If he were put in Iowa's offensive scheme, he would be a 1000+ runner. I bet he doesn't get over looked by the NFL scouts.

You're going to pull a YPC stat? We will agree to disagree. Unless he gets significant playing time this year, and I'm talking splitting the carries, he's not getting drafted. It's not too great of an accomplishment to average 5 yards when you get maybe 5 to 10 a game.
  • Fire 1

Cross was a victim in Beck's basketball on grass or whatever the heck it was supposed to be. He is not a speedy, juking back. He is a North South plant your foot type of runner IMO. Beck wanted a shifty skat back and Cross tried to become that. Losing weight, trying to run outside etc... The system Riley uses (per reports) with the traps, countwer and draws should play to Cross' talents and allow him to show what he is capable off. IIRC, he did have the longest run last year......

I am looking forward to what he can do. Especially since Riley says he will scheme around the talents of the layers.

I think you have a good point.

Now, if Riley and his staff also do not feed Cross the rock (20 plus times a game) I think that will show that perhaps many of us fans are over-valuing Cross just a bit. I mean, if two staffs don't use his "talents" it would seem that perhaps he is not "all that and a bag of chips"

• Fire 1

You're going to pull a YPC stat? We will agree to disagree. Unless he gets significant playing time this year, and I'm talking splitting the carries, he's not getting drafted. It's not too great of an accomplishment to average 5 yards when you get maybe 5 to 10 a game.

Of course you are right. When a third of your carries are short yardage situations and everyone in the stadium knows you are getting the ball, and you still average 5 yards a carry, nothing at all impressive about that.

Of course you are right. When a third of your carries are short yardage situations and everyone in the stadium knows you are getting the ball, and you still average 5 yards a carry, nothing at all impressive about that.

Ah. Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.

Cross' stats are quite interesting. He averaged 5.9 yards as a freshman, 5.3 as a Soph and 5.1 last year. But for being a big bruiser, those numbers are surprisingly reliant on one long run. His freshman year, he had a 44 yard run against Arkansas State. Removing that run drops his average for the year from 5.9 to 5.1 which is still respectable but noticeably less. His sophomore year he had a 51 yard run right up the middle against Michigan State. Without that play, his average drops from 5.3 to 4.7. And last year a 62 yard run against Fresno State pushed his average to 5.1 where it would have been 4.3 without. Credit to him for making those runs but I would consider them somewhat fluky and make the stats look more impressive. I wouldn't expect him to break a run like that every four games to keep that pace up if he were getting 20+ carries per game.

And I'm not sure your comment about it being done against our toughest competition holds water. His freshman year, over 40% of his carries came against Southern Miss and Idaho State. The only other game he got more than three carries were Penn State (8 carries for 22 yards) and Minnesota (10 carries for 19 yards). His sophomore year, 54 of his 85 carries were against Wyoming, South Dakota State, Illinois and Purdue. Not exactly Murder's Row. The only other games he got more than three carries were Southern Miss (4-14), Northwestern (5-15) and Penn State (8-31). And last year he got 42 of his 75 carries against Illinois and Purdue. So other than the one long run against Michigan State, most of his stats have been against the weakest teams on our schedule.

• Fire 3

Take away Ameer's and Newby's long runs, and see how that affects their averages. Nebraska's toughest opponents are the games in which Nebraska LOST. For his career, Imani is over seven yards a carry in those games. Purdue stacked the house to stop the run last year. Ameer left the game injured with 6 carries for one yard. Imani got 66 yards and two TDs in the game. It is amusing to note that people can Dog Imani for being too slow, and then turn around and say his high YPC is solely due to long runs. Properly used, Imani is a force. Under Bo he was not properly used. We'll see what Riley does with him.

• Fire 1

Ah. Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.

Cross' stats are quite interesting. He averaged 5.9 yards as a freshman, 5.3 as a Soph and 5.1 last year. But for being a big bruiser, those numbers are surprisingly reliant on one long run. His freshman year, he had a 44 yard run against Arkansas State. Removing that run drops his average for the year from 5.9 to 5.1 which is still respectable but noticeably less. His sophomore year he had a 51 yard run right up the middle against Michigan State. Without that play, his average drops from 5.3 to 4.7. And last year a 62 yard run against Fresno State pushed his average to 5.1 where it would have been 4.3 without. Credit to him for making those runs but I would consider them somewhat fluky and make the stats look more impressive. I wouldn't expect him to break a run like that every four games to keep that pace up if he were getting 20+ carries per game.

And I'm not sure your comment about it being done against our toughest competition holds water. His freshman year, over 40% of his carries came against Southern Miss and Idaho State. The only other game he got more than three carries were Penn State (8 carries for 22 yards) and Minnesota (10 carries for 19 yards). His sophomore year, 54 of his 85 carries were against Wyoming, South Dakota State, Illinois and Purdue. Not exactly Murder's Row. The only other games he got more than three carries were Southern Miss (4-14), Northwestern (5-15) and Penn State (8-31). And last year he got 42 of his 75 carries against Illinois and Purdue. So other than the one long run against Michigan State, most of his stats have been against the weakest teams on our schedule.

Thank you, this is where I was going with this but frankly haven't had the time to pull the numbers.