Preseason 2016 NFL Draft Prospects.

Cross probably a late round pick. I think somebody will see him as a good 3rd down option in the NFL.

He's pretty much exactly the opposite of what teams look for in a third down back.

Well, you're the expert. I just have an opinion.

On third and short, I'd give it to my bruiser and let him get north and south, probably pick up that couple yards. Third and long most teams aren't throwing the ball to a back in that situation, if anything, they're using a RB as a blitz pickup/pass blocker. You need a guy that can take on a blitzing Lb'er. Cross seems stout enough for either of those jobs.

Just my opinion.

Cross probably a late round pick. I think somebody will see him as a good 3rd down option in the NFL.

He's pretty much exactly the opposite of what teams look for in a third down back.

Well, you're the expert. I just have an opinion.

On third and short, I'd give it to my bruiser and let him get north and south, probably pick up that couple yards. Third and long most teams aren't throwing the ball to a back in that situation, if anything, they're using a RB as a blitz pickup/pass blocker. You need a guy that can take on a blitzing Lb'er. Cross seems stout enough for either of those jobs.

Just my opinion.

Does anyone know if NFL is still talking about moving the conversion up to the 1 yard line. I feel like a big back like Cross could be especially useful in that situation.

All kinds of players have meh years on meh teams and get drafted. Cross is the type of back nfl scouts love. Sure he wouldn't be excellent in a full zone run scheme but there's tons of trap run offenses that would love a good down hill runner thay can wear you out.

• Fire 1

We have four that make the draft if it was today, IMO: Lewis, Davie, Cockrell, and Foltz. Actually, both Collins and Valentine would be drafted, but I am hoping they stay for their senior year.

Besides those four (actually six), J Rose might put himself in draft contention, if he has a great season.

Practice squad free agents: Gangwish, Santos, Cross, Finnin, Kondolo, Reeves, and Sterup (Turner but I doubt he makes a squad)

Edited by Thanks_Tom RR

Well based on this thread, it seems we have 3-5 draft able offensive linemen. I'm going to say that's bullsh#t because if that was the case we win at least 2 more games last year.

I agree.

I've seen our offensive line as the worst part of this team for quite some time really.

Now I've also said that I think there was a lot of confusion and a "basketball on grass" mentality that took some of the aggression away from the offensive line. Still, I've watched our offensive line get pushed around and overpowered. They've been run by because of poor footwork. They've been unable to "pancake" anyone in so long that pancakes isn't even on the menu in Nebraska anymore.

If Qvale, Sirles, and Pensick weren't NFL draft picks, I can't see how anybody on this offensive line aside from Lewis could be even considered. Especially Sterup, he's not been very good at all truthfully.

Any chance Gerry has a stellar Junior year and goes? IIRC correctly, Phillip said if he could "fix his hips" he'd be a first round pick.

He could end up kinda like Urlacher did where he played safety in college and transitioned to lb in the league. He's got a great nose for the ball and plays within his space well.

Any chance Gerry has a stellar Junior year and goes? IIRC correctly, Phillip said if he could "fix his hips" he'd be a first round pick.

If he has a stellar year this year, I think he stays and gets even better, just because of what the staff was able to tweak in one offseason. Just my opinion, but Gerry will be a 1st rounder if he keeps the work up, next year.

If burkhead is only a sixth round pick with how he performed at Nebraska then cross has no chance of getting drafted unless he runs for like 1500 yards this season

I don't want to sound rude, but that perception couldn't be any more wrong. There is a huge difference between a 215lb 5'10" RB (Burkhead), and a 240lb 6'1" RB (Cross). Had Burkhead also not had health concerns, he would have gone higher.

If burkhead is only a sixth round pick with how he performed at Nebraska then cross has no chance of getting drafted unless he runs for like 1500 yards this season

I don't want to sound rude, but that perception couldn't be any more wrong. There is a huge difference between a 215lb 5'10" RB (Burkhead), and a 240lb 6'1" RB (Cross). Had Burkhead also not had health concerns, he would have gone higher.

That's true but that's only on aspect of a guy getting drafted. Burkhead was also #2 among RBs in the Vertical Jump, #2 in the broad jump, #4 in the Cone Drill, #2 in the 20 Yard Shuttle, and #5 in the 60 Yard Shuttle. In short, he is a great athlete. Cross will do well in the bench - the least useful test for RBs, although Burkhead still was #13 - but will not come close to matching the rest of those numbers. And 5'10" is actually right about the average height of NFL RBs. If this article is to be believed, 5'10", 215 are the ideal measurements.

Great article Mavric. We all know Cross can lose weight and become closer to that ideal weight. If I remember right, he is actually less than 240 now, but you can't compare one player to another from a different year on where they will be drafted. That is what I meant more towards my post. While Burkhead had a great combine, his injury prohibited him from becoming a higher draft pick. Even if they want to put him in the draft as a FB, he has a good chance, especially that they are still drafting from that position.