athlon has riley ranked #40 among active coaches

I don't think it matters much what anyone has Riley rated this year. He came from a lower tier program that, while a bit inconsistent, had a reputation as a giant killer. Where do you rank a guy like that? I'll be interested to see where coach Riley falls in this same ranking in a couple or three years. It'll mean something then.

Exactly.

While his career so far is nothing to laugh at, all we really care about is what happens now. This is his first real opportunity to have everything he needs at his disposal. His record for developing talent speaks for itself. Now let's see what he is able to do at a place that should allow him to bring in a much higher level of talent.

I know one thing for sure, I'm rootin' for him.

• Fire 1

I don't think it matters much what anyone has Riley rated this year. He came from a lower tier program that, while a bit inconsistent, had a reputation as a giant killer. Where do you rank a guy like that? I'll be interested to see where coach Riley falls in this same ranking in a couple or three years. It'll mean something then.

Exactly.

While his career so far is nothing to laugh at, all we really care about is what happens now. This is his first real opportunity to have everything he needs at his disposal. His record for developing talent speaks for itself. Now let's see what he is able to do at a place that should allow him to bring in a much higher level of talent.

I know one thing for sure, I'm rootin' for him.

You and me both. I think Riley is a great fit to coach Nebraska. A better fit than the last guy IMHO. Or the guy before that. :lol:

• Fire 2

I'm going to ride with Riley for awhile, to me, he's everything we needed and if he can coach, i'd consider him a gift from above! Riley exemplifies everything i wanted in a coach. We need a CEO to run the program. Let the assistants coach, if an assistant can't hold up his end, then replace him with someone who can. Riley knows the expectations, that's enuff for me!

• Fire 1

How can you rank a where a guy stands before he even coaches a game? I know this is merely a ploy to generate clicks but c'mon son...

He's coached lots of games.

but, how many of them have been at Nebraska?

Does it say in the article that it's a ranking of coaches based on their performance at their current schools? It's just ranking active coaches. If it was the former you'd have to leave off Harbough and any other coach that changed schools. Now, if it turns out that last year Riley was ranked 80, then maybe it's silly.

How can you rank a where a guy stands before he even coaches a game? I know this is merely a ploy to generate clicks but c'mon son...

Does it say in the article that it's a ranking of coaches based on their performance at their current schools? It's just ranking active coaches. If it was the former you'd have to leave off Harbough and any other coach that changed schools. Now, if it turns out that last year Riley was ranked 80, then maybe it's silly.

Sorry, I apologize for my lack of enthusiasm...

You don't have to be enthusiastic about him. I just don't agree with your logic about the poll :P

Enthusiasm is good

Where is Bo Pelini ranked on this list? I couldn't find him.

James Franklin seems over-rated to me on this list. I think the guy gets way too much credit for what he's done and in their explanation of why he's ranked highly on the list it's because they just expect him to make Penn St. a contender in the Big Ten. A list based on what you expect a coach to do seems pretty uselss first of all, and secondly, for Penn St. to be a contender they would have to beat Michigan St. and Ohio St. on a regular basis. Good luck with that.