Hank Hughes

Just curious about our D-line coach. I know he is perceived to be the weakest link on the staff by many on the board, but we rarely, if ever, see or hear anything related to him. Nothing in the press, on the recruiting trail or even from the players he coaches.

What is the story here?

"Play fast, play hard, and be very aggressive"- Hank Hughes.

Short interview

Good article on Hank Hughes : http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hughes_hank00.html

And some freaking stunning numbers, kind of shocked at some of the statistics here. Impressive to say the least.

From the uconnhuskies article:

A 34-year veteran of the coaching profession .

2012 defense - one of the finest in school history as the unit ranked seventh in the country in rushing, ninth in total defense and 19th in scoring defense.

Defensive end Trevardo Williams was selected in the fourth round of the NFL Draft by the Houston Texans.

2011- UConn's rushing defense was ranked fourth in the country and first in the BIG EAST. Defensive lineman Kendall Reyes was named First Team All-BIG EAST for the second year in a row.

2010- his defense was ranked 28th in the country and fourth in the BIG EAST in pass efficiency defense and was also ranked 35th in the country in scoring defense.

Following the 2009 season, he was named the Assistant Coach of the Year by the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston.

2008 - ranked sixth in the country and first in the BIG EAST Conference in total defense at 278.00 yards per game and was also ninth in passing efficiency defense (first in BIG EAST), 16th in rushing defense (second in BIG EAST) and 22nd in scoring defense (third in BIG EAST).

Under Hughes, UConn led the BIG EAST in total defense in each of its first two seasons in the league.

2006 -The Huskies finished seventh in the nation in , averaging 297.1 yards per game in total defense while also ranking fourth in passing defense and seventh in passing efficiency defense. The Huskies used their stout defense to gain the 2007 BIG EAST Championship with the team ranking in the top 17 nationally in passing defense, passing efficiency defense and scoring defense.

2002- the Huskies' first Division I-A season, Hughes defense ranked fifth in the nation in passing defense (160.4 yards per game), 18th in passing efficiency defense (102.44 rating) and 19th in total defense (316.1 yards per game). The Huskies ranked 23rd nationally by forcing 32 turnovers.

• Fire 1

Just curious about our D-line coach. I know he is perceived to be the weakest link on the staff by many on the board, but we rarely, if ever, see or hear anything related to him. Nothing in the press, on the recruiting trail or even from the players he coaches.

What is the story here?

lots of thread starters coming in and dropping unsubstantiated bullcrap like this these days

So do we have a nomination for weakest link or we're just saying it's not Hughes?

Does their have to be one? My vote is for the graduate manager that came with Hughes.

How does it go on a coaching staff...if you look around the coaches office and can't spot the weak link...it is you.

My weak links have always been "parent" volunteers...luckily NU doesn't have those (anymore)

I think I'll wait until the Blackshirts play one defensive series before I pass judgement on the guy and dismiss him as the weakest link. Or maybe I'll be patient and give him a whole quarter.

/sarcasm

• Fire 3