DiNardo, in a Hail Varsity article

NUinID

He really has high praise for the offensive and defensive lines. The praise IMO seems different from years past. It doesn't sound like he is blowing smoke.

• GD: We go to Illinois, we go to Iowa, then you walk on to Nebraska’s practice field and they just look so much more physically imposing at the line of scrimmage. That obviously was impressive…I think (the coaches) feel pretty comfortable with 10 offensive linemen in the two-deep. They’re big and physical.

And you’d have to say that the defensive line is one of the strengths of the team. You get the same feeling when you look at the line of scrimmage as you do at Michigan State and Ohio State. That’s pretty impressive company. I think Mike Riley starts his first year with a pretty strong line of scrimmage.
    HV: From a technique and a coaching standpoint, your impressions of the work Coach Cavanaugh has done so far?
  • GD: I think it’s been terrific. It’s a much different way of approaching offensive line play. He’s obviously a veteran guy. I saw a lot of good things with the offensive line. I’ll be surprised if they don’t control the line of scrimmage most games if not all games that they play

http://hailvarsity.com/news/dinardo-...-2015/2015/08/

• Fire 3

Interesting that he thinks we will be 70 run 30 pass. But I think it's brilliant for our staff to spend 70% of practice working on passing stuff cause we need the most work and coaching on that. If we can have a decent passing game and a good running game coupled with a vicious defense, and spectacular special teams we will win our 8-10 games.

Interesting that he thinks we will be 70 run 30 pass. But I think it's brilliant for our staff to spend 70% of practice working on passing stuff cause we need the most work and coaching on that. If we can have a decent passing game and a good running game coupled with a vicious defense, and spectacular special teams we will win our 8-10 games.

He said he thinks 70% run on 1st and 10 fwiw, not overall.

GiNardo has literally said the exact same things re: our offensive/defensive line for the last three seasons. Not saying he isn't being honest, but you could find something new to say.

It's no secret that the talent on our roster is head and shoulders above an Iowa or Illinois. I mean, that should go without saying.

• Fire 2

Correction.....our 13-14 games. We don't need to be settling for only 8 or 9 or 10 just yet.

• Fire 1

GiNardo has literally said the exact same things re: our offensive/defensive line for the last three seasons. Not saying he isn't being honest, but you could find something new to say.

It's no secret that the talent on our roster is head and shoulders above an Iowa or Illinois. I mean, that should go without saying.

Yeah, I kinda like him and he does rah rah us a bit but, he never really provides any useful analysis. It's like he has a book and under a Nebraska is says to comment on the lines and physicality.....then get back on the bus. It should be no big secret, with Tommy as our QB, that we might be a little run heavy on first down. If that kind of observation is all that is required, anybody on this board could do his job.

IMO this year is different, like I said in the OP, its usually they look like they should be there, but he really talks it up more. Just my opinion. He said Minnesota looked the best in the west line wise coming out of spring ball, but now Nebraska does. That is telling to me. He was being honest IMO. He still said our QB basically look like sh#t throwing the ball.

I'll believe any hype about this offensive line when I see it.

Yes, I believe Cavanaugh is a huge upgrade in coaching, but I don' t care anymore. Tired of hearing about how good this group is supposed to be and then being let down. The standard has dropped big time for what we consider "good" in our offensive lines, that's become obvious through conversations with others. I'm not even talking about 90's Huskers pipeline good, that's not the standard. I'm talking about every guy making their block on a play. I'm talking about finishing blocks. I can look through game after game, play after play and it is very difficult to find even one play where every guy on the offensive line did their job and did it well.

Taylor Martinez struggled, and was even injured when an offensive linemen was shoved straight backward onto his foot. Tommy has caught hell same as Taylor, and his offensive line has not been any better or even worse. Ameer Abdullah would be a two time 2000 + yard rusher and a Heisman trophy winner if his offensive line executed on a consistent basis.

Don't care what you think about it or if you disagree. I've watched the games and I can make .GIF after .GIF demonstrating my point. It's time Nebraska gets these offensive line struggles fixed. Ridiculous that it's been such a problem for so long.

• Fire 1

I'll believe any hype about this offensive line when I see it.

Yes, I believe Cavanaugh is a huge upgrade in coaching, but I don' t care anymore. Tired of hearing about how good this group is supposed to be and then being let down. The standard has dropped big time for what we consider "good" in our offensive lines, that's become obvious through conversations with others. I'm not even talking about 90's Huskers pipeline good, that's not the standard. I'm talking about every guy making their block on a play. I'm talking about finishing blocks. I can look through game after game, play after play and it is very difficult to find even one play where every guy on the offensive line did their job and did it well.

Taylor Martinez struggled, and was even injured when an offensive linemen was shoved straight backward onto his foot. Tommy has caught hell same as Taylor, and his offensive line has not been any better or even worse. Ameer Abdullah would be a two time 2000 + yard rusher and a Heisman trophy winner if his offensive line executed on a consistent basis.

Don't care what you think about it or if you disagree. I've watched the games and I can make .GIF after .GIF demonstrating my point. It's time Nebraska gets these offensive line struggles fixed. Ridiculous that it's been such a problem for so long.

You are the Gerry DiNardo of Huskerboard.
  • Fire 1

It's odd that everything I'm reading or hearing on the radio says the O Line is at best a "work in progress," yet DiNardo says it's a strength. I'll listen to the local guys before a BTN guy who watches one, maybe two practices.

LOMS is right though - they say stuff like this about Nebraska every year. They could at least figure out something else to say.

BTN has been reporting the same thing every fall and it's not necessarily a false narrative. Nebraska does have the depth, talent and look of a big time team. Until now, somebody else was in the drivers seat. I am optimistic that Riley will be able to get the team to execute like it should. Like others have said though, I will believe it when I see it.

Ratings, feel good about your team month, and coach speak - BTN crew!

Yet, millions of people tune in and care. ;)

I would genuinely be shocked if we were 70-30 run. Does anybody think we've had a ratio that imbalanced at any time during the last ~10 years? Maybe 65-35, or 60-40 at some point through that time? And that's run or pass heavy.

I also think it's genuinely understood, at least right now, that TA's greatest improvement will need to come in that 1-to-10 yard pass realm. He's always looked fairly crisp throwing a deep ball, but those short to intermediate routes are where he could make the biggest strides.