First Depth Chart of the Season

Anyone else alarmed at how thin we are, and how little starting experience we have, at the three LB spots? Our three starters have 11 starts between them--not even a full season. Rose-Ivey has tons of talent but he hasn't played in 19 months due to injury. Bando started about half the time last year. And the other spot is manned by a guy who was playing high school ball a few months ago.

I think our three starters have tons of natural talent. All three were (are) good enough to start games during their freshman year. I don't have any data for that, but I have the feeling that it's pretty unusual for a LB to start as a freshman. (Rose-Ivey started as a RS frosh. The other two as true freshmen.)

Our LBs this year could turn out to be great. Or we might struggle. It's just hard to say what we have at this point. But I'm cautiously optimistic. It's gonna be fun to watch these guys!

Count me as a guy who is very concerned about the depth at LB. There is not a lot of experience there, and Rose-Ivey is coming off an ACL tear a year ago.

However, I think Banker's scheme will allow the LB's to think less, and have the freedom to run and make more plays. That will play to the strength of Bando and the young guys.

The practice reports have been very complementary about the linebacker play over training camp.

From Sam's last practice write-up:

Like this bunch. There are six - Josh Banderas, Michael Rose-Ivey, Dedrick Young, Marcus Newby, Luke Gifford and Tyrin Ferguson. Those last two - Gifford and Ferguson - are not that far away, either. Ferguson wants to play physical, and he's a big dude - he doesn't weigh the same as Banderas, but he's the same frame. So is Gifford, arguably camp's most pleasant surprise. That's no joke. He makes plays. Young is the best athlete of the bunch, which you can see when he changes directions and moves laterally. Newby isn't quite that fluid, but he can hit.

This unit has gone from a question mark to a strength, and it may have the most talent per capita of any position on the team. And position coach Trent Bray will be getting defensive coordinator offers soon enough.

OWH

Nice! I hadn't seen that. :thumbs:

It's especially reassuring coming from Sam, who apparently hates the taste of offseason Kool-Aid.

Tom Banderas (former NU Tight End and Josh's dad) was on Sharpe and Benning this morning. He tried not to say too many negative things about Bo and the previous staff, but he said Bo's scheme was very difficult on LB's. The scheme basically asked LB's to do too much and was difficult to play in. Tom then mentioned that with the new scheme, and the young talent at LB, Bray will look like a "great position coach". I know Tom may be biased, but it was interesting to hear.

Tom Banderas (former NU Tight End and Josh's dad) was on Sharpe and Benning this morning. He tried not to say too many negative things about Bo and the previous staff, but he said Bo's scheme was very difficult on LB's. The scheme basically asked LB's to do too much and was difficult to play in. Tom then mentioned that with the new scheme, and the young talent at LB, Bray will look like a "great position coach". I know Tom may be biased, but it was interesting to hear.

I think that analysis is spot on. The key differentiation is Bray. From what I've heard his coaching is on point, the players love him, and he knows his stuff. Yeah the group is thin but I think starting a true freshman at linebacker points to the confidence of the unit. I don't believe it's a situation where they're reluctantly starting Young - I think they're saying "this dude's a baller and we need him on the field." That's directly attributable to Bray being a baller, himself.

Anyone else alarmed at how thin we are, and how little starting experience we have, at the three LB spots? Our three starters have 11 starts between them--not even a full season. Rose-Ivey has tons of talent but he hasn't played in 19 months due to injury. Bando started about half the time last year. And the other spot is manned by a guy who was playing high school ball a few months ago.

I think our three starters have tons of natural talent. All three were (are) good enough to start games during their freshman year. I don't have any data for that, but I have the feeling that it's pretty unusual for a LB to start as a freshman. (Rose-Ivey started as a RS frosh. The other two as true freshmen.)

Our LBs this year could turn out to be great. Or we might struggle. It's just hard to say what we have at this point. But I'm cautiously optimistic. It's gonna be fun to watch these guys!

Count me as a guy who is very concerned about the depth at LB. There is not a lot of experience there, and Rose-Ivey is coming off an ACL tear a year ago.

However, I think Banker's scheme will allow the LB's to think less, and have the freedom to run and make more plays. That will play to the strength of Bando and the young guys.

Don't forget that the defensive line in this new scheme will help the LB's out. Especially given our talent.

Don't forget that the defensive line in this new scheme will help the LB's out. Especially given our talent.

Good point. There are a lot of space eaters up front who will occupy blockers, allowing the LB's to roam freely.