First Depth Chart of the Season

Yeah, I don't believe this shows the suspensions besides Carter from what the rumors were. People kept bringing up M Rose and possibly J Rose, but they both show as starting.

I may be mistaken, but, I think you can still withhold the names of who is officially starting at what position until shortly before game time. I know teams will do this with injuries all the time, waiting until just before the game to announce if Player X will be suiting up that day. I don't know if suspensions work the same way.

This isn't baseball, where you have to submit a lineup card to the umpire and announce all substitutions, with no re-entry. You don't have to officially name any starters. I mean, if they return the opening kickoff down to our 1, we're going to put a different defense out there for the first play than if it's a touchback.

Yeah, I don't believe this shows the suspensions besides Carter from what the rumors were. People kept bringing up M Rose and possibly J Rose, but they both show as starting.

I may be mistaken, but, I think you can still withhold the names of who is officially starting at what position until shortly before game time. I know teams will do this with injuries all the time, waiting until just before the game to announce if Player X will be suiting up that day. I don't know if suspensions work the same way.

This isn't baseball, where you have to submit a lineup card to the umpire and announce all substitutions, with no re-entry. You don't have to officially name any starters. I mean, if they return the opening kickoff down to our 1, we're going to put a different defense out there for the first play than if it's a touchback.

I think some people get confused with differing rules between HS, college and pro.

I think in the NFL, there is a specific rule and procedure coaches must abide by when reporting injuries, suspensions, starters......etc.

Pretty sure none of that pertains to college.

I think some people get confused with differing rules between HS, college and pro.

I think in the NFL, there is a specific rule and procedure coaches must abide by when reporting injuries, suspensions, starters......etc.

Pretty sure none of that pertains to college.

The NFL mandates injury and suspension reporting for gambling, I mean, informational purposes.

You don't have to name starters ahead of time in the NFL.

Remember when Bo Pelini didn't identify our starting quarterback until he actually trotted out onto the field of the first game?

Yeah. It's a 180 degree difference in how Riley handles the media and treats the fans as compared to that last guy. :lol:

Remember when Bo Pelini didn't identify our starting quarterback until he actually trotted out onto the field of the first game?

I didn't think that was a big deal. Although it was a game against crappy competition, it probably saved some crazy media coverage for Martinez, even if it was only a few days.

I thought it was a smart move by Pelini. Given the situation.

Riley has a different situation. Unless there's a Freshman he's really pining to put in over the returning starter.

And that's not gonna happen till next year, when his own recruits come to town.

Anyone else alarmed at how thin we are, and how little starting experience we have, at the three LB spots? Our three starters have 11 starts between them--not even a full season. Rose-Ivey has tons of talent but he hasn't played in 19 months due to injury. Bando started about half the time last year. And the other spot is manned by a guy who was playing high school ball a few months ago.

I think our three starters have tons of natural talent. All three were (are) good enough to start games during their freshman year. I don't have any data for that, but I have the feeling that it's pretty unusual for a LB to start as a freshman. (Rose-Ivey started as a RS frosh. The other two as true freshmen.)

Our LBs this year could turn out to be great. Or we might struggle. It's just hard to say what we have at this point. But I'm cautiously optimistic. It's gonna be fun to watch these guys!

Anyone else alarmed at how thin we are, and how little starting experience we have, at the three LB spots? Our three starters have 11 starts between them--not even a full season. Rose-Ivey has tons of talent but he hasn't played in 19 months due to injury. Bando started about half the time last year. And the other spot is manned by a guy who was playing high school ball a few months ago.

I think our three starters have tons of natural talent. All three were (are) good enough to start games during their freshman year. I don't have any data for that, but I have the feeling that it's pretty unusual for a LB to start as a freshman. (Rose-Ivey started as a RS frosh. The other two as true freshmen.)

Our LBs this year could turn out to be great. Or we might struggle. It's just hard to say what we have at this point. But I'm cautiously optimistic. It's gonna be fun to watch these guys!

No reason to be alarmed...not going to help anything.

I am going into the year very optimistic about this group. I'm hoping that a new scheme and two of the three being around college football for a long time will allow the freshman to be out there with good leadership.

In short....I think they are going to kick ass.

The practice reports have been very complementary about the linebacker play over training camp.

From Sam's last practice write-up:

Like this bunch. There are six - Josh Banderas, Michael Rose-Ivey, Dedrick Young, Marcus Newby, Luke Gifford and Tyrin Ferguson. Those last two - Gifford and Ferguson - are not that far away, either. Ferguson wants to play physical, and he's a big dude - he doesn't weigh the same as Banderas, but he's the same frame. So is Gifford, arguably camp's most pleasant surprise. That's no joke. He makes plays. Young is the best athlete of the bunch, which you can see when he changes directions and moves laterally. Newby isn't quite that fluid, but he can hit.

This unit has gone from a question mark to a strength, and it may have the most talent per capita of any position on the team. And position coach Trent Bray will be getting defensive coordinator offers soon enough.

OWH

• Fire 2