Changing The Culture of Mediocrity

chamrocck

When BYU converted the 4th down in their own territory I called the game as over and that BYU would win. When they set up for the hail mary I still called they would win. How do I know this? I do because Nebraska has played at this mediocre level for so long...it is now our culture. The culture is not championships and kick ass defenses...it is bleck.

Would Bo Pelini have won today? Maybe, maybe not. We gave Pelini a fair shot and he had several years. I supported him for a long time. But I was in favor of going a different direction. I am not stupid enough to call out and say after one game that Mike Riley is not the right guy. He might be or maybe he won't be. But what I know is that it is up to him and his staff to change this culture. I'll give them time to do that.

I saw some good things from this team today.

Tackling was more sound

Coming back in the second half...wow, pretty good

Pretty good throws and receptions

Young or new players made some good contributions

But what remains are problems like

DL can't get to the QB when it matters

Offense can't get the first down when it matters...no one on this team has a nose for the first down marker (no Abdullah or Burkhead...someone please step up now)

Can't get the 4th down stop

Can't kick FGs

OL could not protect

Stupid penalties

And all this culminates with a big fail at the end giving up a hail mary play which everyone knows is coming but I can still call that BYU will make that play

After a tough loss like this I used to come on this board and rip certain players, etc. I can't do that anymore...it's a team game. The bigger problem is a team that doesn't know how to win and to do the things you need to win consistently. I mean how many of our players are hot and cold? I saw some great things from players today but then saw those same players not know how to win the game when it mattered.

I'll be looking for consistently better play from the team throughout this season. I think that's all we can do and I hope Riley can do it (just like I hoped Pelini could do it prior). We shall see. #GBR #GetBetterRiley

• Fire 6

One thing to consider. In Saban's first year at Bama he lost to UL-Monroe.

We just lost to a solid BYU team on a lucky play, Bama lost to a bad SUn Belt team.

I liked that we seemed to adjust at halftime and looked way more composed than we have in a long time, especially after mistakes.

There was a lot of positive and I look for us to have a good year,.

• Fire 1

Great post, thanks for writing this. One of your points upsets me a lot as well, the inability to get a 1st down as that would have kept our momentum alive on several possessions. Too much east-west running on those short downs and not enough power plays to get that 3 feet. A couple of those really killed the game for us. Kicking? Ugh.

Just so you know, Pelini would've been throttled by Hill. Riley's staff made great adjustments at halftime allowing only 3 points until the Hail Mary in the 2nd half. Outstanding turnaround.

Just stop. I'm glad Bo's gone, but I'm getting tired of these damn Bo Pelini excuses. BYU's defense is ok. You just wait until Miami... Ugh, I'm not looking forward to it already.

You know the moron that said the title of your thread was fired a LONG time ago, and has absolutely nothing to do with the situation currently?

Using terminology by one of the more hated people in the history of the Nebraska AC is probably not the best route to go when making a point.

You know the moron that said the title of your thread was fired a LONG time ago, and has absolutely nothing to do with the situation currently?

Using terminology by one of the more hated people in the history of the Nebraska AC is probably not the best route to go when making a point.

See your point and I didn't even realize it but I also don't give a rip. It is what it is and it's the truth. Callahan was a bad experiment. Pelini had misdirected passion and was in over his head. Did we get it right with Riley? I don't know but he may have the best temperament to get this ship righted over the long term. I am betting he will be here longer than his 2 predecessors.

When BYU converted the 4th down in their own territory I called the game as over and that BYU would win. When they set up for the hail mary I still called they would win. How do I know this? I do because Nebraska has played at this mediocre level for so long...it is now our culture. The culture is not championships and kick ass defenses...it is bleck.

Would Bo Pelini have won today? Maybe, maybe not. We gave Pelini a fair shot and he had several years. I supported him for a long time. But I was in favor of going a different direction. I am not stupid enough to call out and say after one game that Mike Riley is not the right guy. He might be or maybe he won't be. But what I know is that it is up to him and his staff to change this culture. I'll give them time to do that.

Tackling was more sound

Offense can't get the first down when it matters...no one on this team has a nose for the first down marker (no Abdullah or Burkhead...someone please step up now)

Can't kick FGs

OL could not protect

Stupid penalties

And all this culminates with a big fail at the end giving up a hail mary play which everyone knows is coming but I can still call that BYU will make that play

After a tough loss like this I used to come on this board and rip certain players, etc. I can't do that anymore...it's a team game. The bigger problem is a team that doesn't know how to win and to do the things you need to win consistently. I mean how many of our players are hot and cold? I saw some great things from players today but then saw those same players not know how to win the game when it mattered.

I'll be looking for consistently better play from the team throughout this season. I think that's all we can do and I hope Riley can do it (just like I hoped Pelini could do it prior). We shall see. #GBR #GetBetterRiley

Good stuff. Level headed. Good and bad issues.

One thing I have also noticed. Many fans have developed the culture of mediocrity. Look at the BYU thread (not game thread). BYU is given little respect. A mid major as many said. They win today and all of a sudden they are a great program, solid school, giant receivers etc.... My a$$. They are a mid major that beat NU in our house and ended the longest home winning streak in college football. We let a 2nd string QB burn us. They converted most of their 4th down tries..... Mediocrity. Its in this boards excuses...........

Fans have become accepting of this.... #9wins

Just so you know, Pelini would've been throttled by Hill. Riley's staff made great adjustments at halftime allowing only 3 points until the Hail Mary in the 2nd half. Outstanding turnaround.

Just stop. I'm glad Bo's gone, but I'm getting tired of these damn Bo Pelini excuses. BYU's defense is ok. You just wait until Miami... Ugh, I'm not looking forward to it already.

I will wait for Miami. I'm excited for husker football and the direction were headed. I'm not a whiny bitch like loads of people posting right now.

I will wait for Miami. I'm excited for husker football and the direction were headed. I'm not a whiny bitch like loads of people posting right now.

whiny bitches are the worst.

Tackling was more sound

Can't kick FGs

OL could not protect

Stupid penalties

So are you saying we have a culture of mediocrity? If so, did we take a step forward or backward today? Also, good post, I think most of us are looking for the same things from the team as you.