To Coach Riley - RUN THE BALL

ajt1970

Coach Riley,

I have said it before and I will say it again.....you MUST run the ball to be successful at Nebraska. It is the culture and tradition here, and it is the way to success in any brand of football. That pass-first West Coast passing game was tried here before in the Callahan years and it was a disaster. You must coach up the offensive line to be MAULERS, to pancake defenders, and plow thru a defensive scheme. You have the running backs, I feel you have the offensive line if coached right.. Nebraska during its most successful period of decades of winning, was always a running-based offense, consistently leading the nation in rushing, year in, year out. My biggest concerns are you personally and your staff. I am afraid you and Langsdorf simply lack the know-how to put together a powerful rushing attack. You have lived and breathed with a passing game and immobile QBs your whole coaching time that I feel you don't have the knowledge to put it all together....an old dog can't change its spot, which is actually surprising you went down this passing mentality road considering you played for Bear Bryant in the 70's when he ran the ball a LOT out of the Wishbone, I would think you would have a much better appreciation for the running game than you currently do. QBs should not be just hand the ball off and drop back and throw type players....they can be RUNNERS, too.....Inside and Outside Zone Read, QB Draw, QB Off tackle, etc.

All I can say is I really hope you get it together, you and your staff, and figure out that to win a lot of games (not just the .500 record you currently have, which is simply not good enough for a place like Nebraska) you must have an OVERPOWERING rushing attack (examples - Nebraska from the 90's, or in current day....Alabama, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Auburn, Georgia Tech, etc.). Please investigate and invest time into learning how to run the ball and have a rush-first mentality instead of the current throw the ball all over and only occasionally run the ball. I think you will find it leads to much better success!

• Fire 3

Might just be a first game fluke, but our guards were really, really bad yesterday. Simply outmatched by BYU's defensive line.

There's nothing I would love more than to establish the run early, but I'm not sure we have the guys to do it well.

After watching the game today...(yeah I know who plans a stupid wedding on Husker Game Day) Our OL was really missing blocking assignments. I chalk this up as learning new blocking schemes and verbiage. I have no doubts it will be one of the main focal points during this weeks practice.

When your short on talent, no coaching, can make a 'silk purse out of a sow's ear', let the coaches do there jobs and hopefully bring in better talent in the next few years! Trying to run the ball with this bunch won't ever be like it "has been". No blame on any of the players, but the talent isn't there, at this time! good points i saw; Armstrong played better then i expected. Sour points; i didn't see the pass rush i was hoping for, BUT, they made adjustments at halftime and were better. Speaking of adjustments; this coaching staff made them. Something i can't ever remember the old staff doing.

• Fire 1

We averaged 3.4 yards on 37 run plays and 7.8 yards on 41 pass plays. I know I'm being Captain Obvious here, but we don't need to run more often, we need to run better.

Bingo.

I said in a status update we were 48% Run in the game yesterday. It's less than what I want to see, but if the passing game is working well, which it was at 59% completion, the run game should work better. I'm not sure if its scheme or personnel. But you are right, it needs to be more efficient in the run game.

Hats off to BYU selling out to stop the run, they were shooting gaps all day long. Moving in and out of a 4-3 to 3-4 isn't easy for OL to get a feel for where the defense is coming from. I think we'll be alright. I really do. As long as we improve efficiency in the running game NU will be alright. I think the D will play much better two when the QB can't run as well.

Might just be a first game fluke, but our guards were really, really bad yesterday. Simply outmatched by BYU's defensive line.

There's nothing I would love more than to establish the run early, but I'm not sure we have the guys to do it well.

After watching the game today...(yeah I know who plans a stupid wedding on Husker Game Day) Our OL was really missing blocking assignments. I chalk this up as learning new blocking schemes and verbiage. I have no doubts it will be one of the main focal points during this weeks practice.

Perhaps you are correct, I don't know. I hope so. One thing I know the coaches can control is getting Tommy more involved in the run game. He's better than .2 ypc.

Ideally, you want to get the running game established early so you can go to play action later. If it's not there with the RBs early, getting Tommy involved will only help things open up for the RBs, I believe.