Dirty play and Officiating

C N Red

"Dirty play"?! C'mon, Fans, get over it. I thought BYU played a well coached, clean and disciplined game and they have some great athletes on their team: namely those beastly receivers they have. Bad hits, some they can happen, but were in no way intentional, it's just whining to say so. Give them credit for the W, they earned it every bit as much as we did had it gone the other way. I thought the refs called a good game too, BTW. NE just needed to make one more play and guess what, we didn't.

BYU: respect.

Wut?

Diving at a players knees, from behind, is dirty, no matter how you slice it.

cheapbyu.0.gif

• Fire 3

This is the same team that got into a full on brawl - not just a shoving match - with a team in their bowl game. If you don't think that the Sutton hit was dirty, I guess I don't know what to tell you. There's no way he didn't see the ball fly past - he was looking right at Sutton before taking him out. He had plenty of time to stop, but he didn't want to. End of story.

Did you actually watch the bowl game? Or just the fight on sportscenter?

Look out. Here comes the justification for the bowl game brawl.

"BYU players were only defending their brothers."

"Memphis played dirty all game."

"Just make them do up-downs."

Lol knapp. But the stigma the Byu players had to live with all off season was horrible and punishment enough you know.

"Dirty play"?! C'mon, Fans, get over it. I thought BYU played a well coached, clean and disciplined game and they have some great athletes on their team: namely those beastly receivers they have. Bad hits, some they can happen, but were in no way intentional, it's just whining to say so. Give them credit for the W, they earned it every bit as much as we did had it gone the other way. I thought the refs called a good game too, BTW. NE just needed to make one more play and guess what, we didn't.

BYU: respect.

Wut?

Diving at a players knees, from behind, is dirty, no matter how you slice it.

cheapbyu.0.gif

ouch....that does show an deliberate attempt to hit the knee. he clearly looked at his target before he hit there

This is the same team that got into a full on brawl - not just a shoving match - with a team in their bowl game.

Hmmm, I seem to recall a team last year, got in 2-3 brawls with this team from, hmmm, the S. FL area I think it was. Maybe somebody can help me out here...

That's not a brawl

Oh, I guess you're re-defining the English language now to suit your arguments despite the benches nearly emptying not once, but twice--or was it 3 times? Whatever works for ya..

You have no idea what a brawl is. Pushing and shoving happens in every college football game.

These are brawls:

• Fire 1

This is the same team that got into a full on brawl - not just a shoving match - with a team in their bowl game.

Hmmm, I seem to recall a team last year, got in 2-3 brawls with this team from, hmmm, the S. FL area I think it was. Maybe somebody can help me out here...

That's not a brawl

Oh, I guess you're re-defining the English language now to suit your arguments despite the benches nearly emptying not once, but twice--or was it 3 times? Whatever works for ya..

You have no idea what a brawl is. Pushing and shoving happens in every college football game.

These are brawls:

What happened last night on O St between a group of angry women was more of a brawl than anything that happened with Miami and Nebraska last season.

I've been trying to give the BYU player the benefit of the doubt, and in fact was trying to make an argument here for that. After watching that gif though, I can't.

His head begins to lower AFTER the ball goes just beyond Sutton, but is still in the air. And, the BYU defender's head is still level with Sutton's upper body, which means he HAD to have seen he didn't have the ball and therefore had to have known he was hitting a player for no reason.

But, let's say you still want to make the argument that he was in the motion of tackling. Why in the name of everything football is that the proper way to try and tackle a player to the ground? Deliberately going for the knees like that, when there's really no doubt in my mind that defender knew Sutton didn't have the ball. What kind of technique is that? It's cheap, it's lazy, it's deliberate and it's poor sportsmanship.

I would argue the same thing if roles were reversed. Going for the knees is a horrible way to tackle someone and not even proper technique. That kind of stuff should be worthy of a penalty, regardless of the fact that it was a late hit.

• Fire 2