Dirty play and Officiating

C N Red

Okay, BYU fan....if you can't see how dirty your players are, you are VERY myopic. Yeah, Husker fans tend to be myopic about things at times too, but BYU football right now does not reflect the good people of your state and the church that the college is affiliated with. I want to say that, while I am not a Mormon, all of the Mormons I have ever known were wonderful people and this football team reflects very poorly on the university, the church, and the entire state of Utah. I know that all the players on the team don't come from Utah and they aren't all Mormons, but the casual fan sees the antics of your team and it looks bad for your school and your state.

I don't know if Bronco Mendenhall cares about this, or maybe this comes from him? But something has to change and to be honest HE has to change it. I know what you might be thinking...people in glass houses, blah, blah, blah...but when Nebraska had serious coach issues that were hurting the perception of the University, the AD took a major step to change Nebraska's image. The AD fired a coach that was hurting NU's national public perception (whether completely deserved or not) and hired the exact opposite. It was a controversial move in Nebraska and among Nebraska fans all over the country, but it could be argued that even if Nebraska doesn't win any more than it did with Bo, the university's image and the way that it's perceived is as important as winning football games.

I know BYU is trying to shed the image of being a WAC team who is rather undeserving of their one gift national title; trying to build a reputation by playing some of the traditional powerhouses. So they open with Nebraska on national television...and they get a win...good for them. But the cheap shots and dirty play isn't lost on true college football fans and when that is on display on such a large stage the program will continue to be perceived as bush league. Mendenhall needs to get a handle on this sooner rather than later.

Seriously? Why does everything have to be about religion with all of you. Has nothing to do with it. I don't even think Preator is LDS. He's a young kid playing college football. He's not out there intentionally trying to hurt someone. I thought you guys played "big boy" football. I seriously enjoyed my time in Lincoln and was treated well by most people. Your fanbase prides yourself on being courteous, and most people were. A number of times walking down the street were heard negative "Mormon" comments. I know that this isn't the thought of most people and almost everyone that I've talked to that went to the game loved the experience, but after hearing all of you on this board, I'm starting to change my mind a little bit.
Unfortunately it's still a conservative traditional christian state. But some of us are more tolerant and don't go after the low hanging fruit. Like you said before every fan base has their idiots.

Okay, BYU fan....if you can't see how dirty your players are, you are VERY myopic. Yeah, Husker fans tend to be myopic about things at times too, but BYU football right now does not reflect the good people of your state and the church that the college is affiliated with. I want to say that, while I am not a Mormon, all of the Mormons I have ever known were wonderful people and this football team reflects very poorly on the university, the church, and the entire state of Utah. I know that all the players on the team don't come from Utah and they aren't all Mormons, but the casual fan sees the antics of your team and it looks bad for your school and your state.

I don't know if Bronco Mendenhall cares about this, or maybe this comes from him? But something has to change and to be honest HE has to change it. I know what you might be thinking...people in glass houses, blah, blah, blah...but when Nebraska had serious coach issues that were hurting the perception of the University, the AD took a major step to change Nebraska's image. The AD fired a coach that was hurting NU's national public perception (whether completely deserved or not) and hired the exact opposite. It was a controversial move in Nebraska and among Nebraska fans all over the country, but it could be argued that even if Nebraska doesn't win any more than it did with Bo, the university's image and the way that it's perceived is as important as winning football games.

I know BYU is trying to shed the image of being a WAC team who is rather undeserving of their one gift national title; trying to build a reputation by playing some of the traditional powerhouses. So they open with Nebraska on national television...and they get a win...good for them. But the cheap shots and dirty play isn't lost on true college football fans and when that is on display on such a large stage the program will continue to be perceived as bush league. Mendenhall needs to get a handle on this sooner rather than later.

Seriously? Why does everything have to be about religion with all of you. Has nothing to do with it. I don't even think Preator is LDS. He's a young kid playing college football. He's not out there intentionally trying to hurt someone. I thought you guys played "big boy" football. I seriously enjoyed my time in Lincoln and was treated well by most people. Your fanbase prides yourself on being courteous, and most people were. A number of times walking down the street were heard negative "Mormon" comments. I know that this isn't the thought of most people and almost everyone that I've talked to that went to the game loved the experience, but after hearing all of you on this board, I'm starting to change my mind a little bit.
Unfortunately it's still a conservative traditional christian state. But some of us are more tolerant and don't go after the low hanging fruit. Like you said before every fan base has their idiots.

I know. It just gets a little frustrating every time having Christians attack other Christians. We have our fair share of crazies on Cougarboard (especially after a loss). Good luck to you guys this season. Enjoyed the atmosphere and tradition of NU. Take care,

Wow....that's what you got out of that? Just wow. BYU is affiliated with a church....I didn't create that affiliation. I just mentioned it. My point was when your team plays the way they have been playing it makes the program look bush league and reflects badly on everything with which it is associated. If you didn't get that then you obviously have comprehension problems.

Did you also so drastically miss the point here that you think this was about religion? Wow, and you call others "idiots".

Did you also so drastically miss the point here that you think this was about religion? Wow.

I'll be honest I didn't read your post, I usually don't read much of anything you post. That being said, it wasn't my intent to insinuate you as someone poking at Mormonism, but there are more than a few people on this little board who have been bagging on the Mormon religion. I think it was in bad tatse.

Did you also so drastically miss the point here that you think this was about religion? Wow.
I'll be honest I didn't read your post, I usually don't read much of anything you post. That being said, it wasn't my intent to insinuate you as someone poking at Mormonism, but there are more than a few people on this little board who have been bagging on the Mormon religion. I think it was in bad tatse.

You can think it was in bad taste all you want. I have a lot of respect for the state of Utah, for the church with which that university is affiliated and I think that when a university is affiliated with a church it is sometimes held to a different standard. You may think that's fair or not, it just is what it is. I believe that Universities like SMU, Baylor, Notre Dame, BC, etc. should take care of character issues right away because unchecked those reflect poorly on the university. BYU is getting a reputation of players playing dirty. I think it is on the coach to take care of those. In my post I also said that our former coach reflected poorly on our university and our AD finally felt that he had to do something about that because national perception is important. My final point was that Mendenhall needs to take care of this stuff soon if he is serious about wanting this program to be taken serious with the elite programs.

That's too bad, you're missing some good stuff, but to be fair, until you basically called me an idiot here, I don't think I've read much of your stuff either, and no, I was actually very complimentary of Mormons...all the Mormons I have ever known have been great people.

As someone who follows a lot of college football, I went into this game thinking BYU played dirty, and I left the game with the same impression. It also explains a lot about the brawl. I'm definitely not saying all their players are like this or that their fans were unpleasant. But, as a team, their perception is pretty negative.

Religion aside, that's the reality.

• Fire 1

As someone who follows a lot of college football, I went into this game thinking BYU played dirty, and I left the game with the same impression. It also explains a lot about the brawl. I'm definitely not saying all their players are like this or that their fans were unpleasant. But, as a team, their perception is pretty negative.

Geez, I don't want to be misunderstood here. I was not trying to bring their faith into this. I was just saying that when a team gets the reputation of being dirty it reflects badly on everything that the team is about. I guess in retrospect I should have just left it at that and not listed what I meant.

Byu has a well known reputation for playing dirty which is why they will soon have a hard time scheduling games and also finding a conference that wants them. It has nothing to do with religion, except i find it odd that the fans and school seem to find nothing wrong with it given their religion. If Nebraska had players doing things dirty i would be contacting the school/coach/etc demanding change.

Byu has a well known reputation for playing dirty which is why they will soon have a hard time scheduling games and also finding a conference that wants them. It has nothing to do with religion, except i find it odd that the fans and school seem to find nothing wrong with it given their religion. If Nebraska had players doing things dirty i would be contacting the school/coach/etc demanding change.

agreed

Geez, I don't want to be misunderstood here. I was not trying to bring their faith into this. I was just saying that when a team gets the reputation of being dirty it reflects badly on everything that the team is about. I guess in retrospect I should have just left it at that and not listed what I meant.

Sorry, didn't mean to make you think that was directed at you. I was just saying their perception is dirty. I never took your post as you taking a shot at their religion.

That's too bad, you're missing some good stuff, but to be fair, until you basically called me an idiot here, I don't think I've read much of your stuff either, and no, I was actually very complimentary of Mormons...all the Mormons I have ever known have been great people.
Yay for internet misunderstandings! I actually didn't call you an idiot. And after reading your post I don't really disagree with your view either. But the statement about people on this board bagging on the religion still stands. It was a general statement and it doesn't appear you fall into that category. Collateral damage of the quotation system.

Yay for internet misunderstandings! I actually didn't call you an idiot. And after reading your post I don't really disagree with your view either. But the statement about people on this board bagging on the religion still stands. It was a general statement and it doesn't appear you fall into that category. Collateral damage of the quotation system.

LOL, not a problem, you're right, I just kind of thought it was implied. Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding. By the way, calling out people's religion is NEVER cool and I didn't see any of that, but if people were posting anti-Mormon stuff before the game then that is real BS and I totally agree with you.