Dirty play and Officiating

C N Red

Truth be told, BYU got what they wanted from Nebraska - a win.

If you're a BYU fan and wish to stay here to talk football, you're more than welcome Otherwise, stop coming here and picking fights with Husker fans, on a Husker board, who happen to have opinions about your team.

• Fire 4

Not only was the booing for the Sutton non-call loud, but it happened again later in the game. There were several instances where contact was initiated by BYU defenders well out of bounds and no calls were made. When Foltz got hurt, the crowd exploded again.

Yeah, it looked to me that BYU was leg hunting on many of their tackles. Not sure if that's how they are coached to tackle or what.
What the hell are you guys watching in place of football? Are you that big a bunch of Nancies that you now think low tackles are dirty? They're part of the f'ing game and always have been. BYU does it, Nebraska does it, everyone does it. There's nothing dirty about a low tackle. Fir hell's sake, your guys made an almost identical tackle on our #11 on the first play after you downed the punt on our 1-yard line.

Preator should have been flagged, but it's arguable whether he knew the receiver had the ball or not. It was in bounds (if you've argued it wasn't, see an optometrist), and it wasn't dirty. Your guys do are same thing. Are your guys dirty players?

LOL, I love it when you called us "Nancies". However, the play was dirty. The ball was well past Sutton, on the ground, and Preator dove at the back of Sutton's legs with his shoulders. That is not a "low tackle" that is a cheap shot.

Same f'ing tackle. Watch the film.

By the way, some of you guys laughed when I brought up our Elite 11 freshman backup QB.

One game against a patchwork defensive backfield didn't leave me impressed. He connected on a fluke play and had another play where a 14 ft. tall receiver made a pretty ridiculous jumping catch.

Is he a good recruit? Yes. Could he be a great player? Yes. But, there's nothing else to say about him at this point. BYU is probably going to lose anywhere from 4-6 games this year without Hill.

Losing a Sr. possible Heisman trophy candidate for a true freshman who was eating rice and beans and teaching religion 3 months ago isn't ideal. There will be some ugly freshman mistakes this season for sure. Having a front loaded schedule won't help matters either. Mangum seemed to have the kind of confidence to shake off mistakes and keep his head in the game. He did not shrink from pressure and I love that in a QB.

I'm not willing to give up on the year yet, but history is certainly on your side with that prediction.

Definitely dirty and all regular BYU opponents know it.

Rewatch the game. 2 20 43 all did multiple BS shots late to the legs/out of bounds hits too (recall on Moore and Imani but there were more.). Westy was out for a while from one. Moore had a leg injury after a run play not to his side so it wasn't on cam no doubt it was yet another cheap shot.

NU did not retaliate (kinda irked me) but for the post interception push in the back which of course was called.

Westerkamp had a cramp, it was not from a dirty hit at all. It was clean.

Wrong. Dirty player #43 dove on Westy's legs after he was down and pass incomplete. NOT clean. Q2 play clock ending 13:07.

I was at the game. He cramped. They immediately stretched his calf out and made him drink Gatorade for the 3 or 4 minutes he layed there.

You know Mr. Certainty, the fact that I posted the play clock here might have given you a clue that I just watched the clip. You should try it.

What part of I was at the game do you not understand? I remember the play very well, it was a vicuous looking hit, but I didn't think it was dirty. I immediately thought he had to have broken his leg. It was just a vicious football play, and I was glad it was only a cramp.

Have any of you seen this as well? Got one guy alligator rolling the ankle, next guy in with a right handed wind up to side of the face mask.

https://vine.co/v/eTEpM2WQYid

I missed that one. Alligator roll is an accurate description. Fortunately the guy didn't connect with the hand to the helmet, but watching closely, he does c$%k his arm and try to unload on the way in.

• Fire 1

Have any of you seen this as well? Got one guy alligator rolling the ankle, next guy in with a right handed wind up to side of the face mask.

I missed that one. Alligator roll is an accurate description. Fortunately the guy didn't connect with the hand to the helmet, but watching closely, he does c$%k his arm and try to unload on the way in.
That was blatant.

I wonder if a certain poster can go ahead and explain that away as a clean play.

We never play these clowns again. It's pretty clear Mendenhall coaches his guys up this way and condones it. Still bothers me no hankies hit the ground during the Foltz or Sutton plays.

And for the record, if a Nebraska player ever tackled someone like this, it would still be a cheap shot. He was leg hunting and he succeeded in taking him out. He tried to get Westy earlier in the game, but luckily that time it didn't work.

So, like when we lost our NT on an uncalled chop block by one of your linemen and RB, whi hit him square in the side of the knee?

I understand why you're upset, but these things happen on both sides. And low tackles downfield are far from illegal.

I guess tackling at the legs from behind when he clearly saw that Sutton didn't catch the ball was my problem. Yeah, it was a dirty hit and he did exactly what he set out to do: get a cheap shot hit in. I don't recall the Huskers doing that to your NT, but maybe I missed it.
the refs could have missed it, but sometimes people misunderstand that blocks below the waist between the tackles are legal and regular. It is only a penalty if the player is engaged with another lineman

Which is what happened.

When did this even happen? I saw he was out, but didn't see how it happened.

Well I rewatched it and found what happened, and that was not what happened at all. He got off his block and went to go tackle the running back, and the o-lineman that he got around fell on his knee. Nice try though.

BYU1_zpsnzlcwreg.png

• Fire 1

I've not seen anything mentioned about the BYU player making physical contact with the referee after the Hail Mary. I know it was a jubilation hug and most likely spontaneous, and had no effect on the outcome as it would have been after the end of the play, but isn't ANY intentional physical contact with a referee a penalty?

Nah, our guys give them high fives all the time. Kenny Bell did it, Ameer did it, and Gerry did it last game too.

• Fire 1

Officiating wasnt great, but I think they missed plenty of calls on both sides, just a few more obvious ones that hurt Nebraska.

Their are a few plays that felt cheap, but that will happen on every team. As a whole it was a hard fought game with 2-3 A-holes for BYU.

That being said, i cant stand Bronco Mendenhall. That guy seems like the because D-bag to have ever lived and the way he celebrated after the win was salt in the wound. They escaped Lincoln with a win they probably didnt deserve.

i am starting to buy into the BYU plays dirty thought. i didn't want to...but it's getting hard to not believe it after seeing some of these things.

i wonder if that play might have something to do with tommy in a walking boot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XfAA6m49fk&t=51m37s

Full game here foreign language dub. 51:37 is the time for scumbag 43 late diving on Westy and the dirtbag actually hit 87 low also, and his own player . Too bad dirtbag 43 didn't knock his own loser teammate out for the year now.

Dunno why my time code of 51m37s in the url isn't setting the video time accurately (at least not when I view it).

"Shift <" slows video. > speeds. Left and right arrow keys are 5 seconds back and forward. Fyi.