Tunnel Walk Chant - Get the Crowd Involved?

Mavric

Honestly, I think the "Husker prayer" should not be chanted by the crowd. That's a team thing, said within the locker room. It's kinda cool they show it as part of the Tunnel Walk, but why does the crowd need to be saying the prayer too?

I am sure I'm in the minority here though. I think it's weird when the Husker prayer is recited on a thread here each Saturday. To me, it's a "player" thing. We aren't players going out there on the field, we are just fans.

Agree with this 100%. It is a team thing and should stay in the locker room. It is odd that it is a thread every game day here too.

I'm all for more hype and energy in the stadium and love the Husker Power chant leading up to the tunnel walk. Some games , the timing is off and there is no chant .. But when there is, it can be pretty intimidating to a visiting team and crowd.

Count me in the "No" bucket. Its a players thing. Keep it that way.

IIRC, I have heard Damon Benning mention how he hates that it has been publicized the last handful of years.

Honestly, I think the "Husker prayer" should not be chanted by the crowd. That's a team thing, said within the locker room. It's kinda cool they show it as part of the Tunnel Walk, but why does the crowd need to be saying the prayer too?

I am sure I'm in the minority here though. I think it's weird when the Husker prayer is recited on a thread here each Saturday. To me, it's a "player" thing. We aren't players going out there on the field, we are just fans.

Agree with this 100%. It is a team thing and should stay in the locker room. It is odd that it is a thread every game day here too.

I'm all for more hype and energy in the stadium and love the Husker Power chant leading up to the tunnel walk. Some games , the timing is off and there is no chant .. But when there is, it can be pretty intimidating to a visiting team and crowd.

IIRC, I have heard Damon Benning mention how he hates that it has been publicized the last handful of years.

Benning has commented numerous times that the "prayer" that is said now, isn't exactly word for word as it is said now. I remember some lines of the prayer being made "public" during the Wistrom & Peter days. Then there might have been a tunnel walk or YouTube video with Cory Ross leading the full prayer.

I think the fans who are "into it" are more of a generational thing, with the fans younger than 30 knowing this "prayer" better than others. I am nearly 40, and have been following the Huskers since the early 1980's, the "Husker Prayer" wasn't a thing until the Callahan years. Until then, it was always kept "inside the locker room". Maybe that's why I am such a big believer of keeping it "inside the locker room."

Benning has commented numerous times that the "prayer" that is said now, isn't exactly word for word as it is said now. I remember some lines of the prayer being made "public" during the Wistrom & Peter days. Then there might have been a tunnel walk or YouTube video with Cory Ross leading the full prayer.

I think the fans who are "into it" are more of a generational thing, with the fans younger than 30 knowing this "prayer" better than others. I am nearly 40, and have been following the Huskers since the early 1980's, the "Husker Prayer" wasn't a thing until the Callahan years. Until then, it was always kept "inside the locker room". Maybe that's why I am such a big believer of keeping it "inside the locker room."

I am in this bucket. I had seen it in some of the 90s videos, but the Callahan/Peterson regime did seem to publicize it. And we hate all things Callahan/Peterson, so we should all be against it. Right?

That'd be cheesy as heck.

But would it be cheesier than a Husker-Power chant or off-beat clapping during the Tunnel Walk? I want the cheesiest experience possible!

I think so. If the fans started doing the entire thing, that would feel a little weird. Can anyone name any other cool chant by any sports teams' fans that is more than just a few words repeated over and over?

I think it would be coolest if everyone was silent for the entire thing and then screamed Can't Be Beat at the end.

That'd be cheesy as heck.

But would it be cheesier than a Husker-Power chant or off-beat clapping during the Tunnel Walk? I want the cheesiest experience possible!

I think so. If the fans started doing the entire thing, that would feel a little weird. Can anyone name any other cool chant by any sports teams' fans that is more than just a few words repeated over and over?

I think it would be coolest if everyone was silent for the entire thing and then screamed Can't Be Beat at the end.