What made BYU the better team on Saturday?

RedSavage

The second one is calling TO with 1 second left. IMO that just gave them a chance to catch their breath and get straight what they wanted to do.

Nebraska? or BYU?

I'd say they both got a chance to catch their breath and get straight what they wanted to do. If I had to choose the team that needed this opportunity more, I'm gonna say Nebraska did simply for the fact that this is their first ever possible time this staff and these players have encountered this situation as a group.

We only question it because it didn't work out for us, but I don't think the timeout was questionable at all. I know one thing, we'll have a better idea of what to do in that situation from now forward.....that seems fairly certain.

BYU was playing to win at the end, we were playing not to lose.

As to Bo question, let it Bo.

I thought the exact same thing.
gave me flashbacks of Bill Callahan

Heh. I re watched the game except sober this time and that's exactly what they remind me of.

Just like Cally (pro coach), just like Bo (started in NFL ranks) and now Riley. When you have a teams throat exposed, you press your foot down until it breaks. You do not stop what got us the lead and then go conservative to keep it. You continue to apply pressure to increase the lead and cause them to question why they chose to play us in the first place.

As mentioned in another thread, regarding "are we a soft team", killer instinct builds killer mentality. If the leader (coach) goes for the the throat every down, every play, win, lose or draw and plays to win the team starts to do the same thing. Hit with ferocity, play to the whistle, a little extra shove, push, some smack talking, aggressive posturing. Mean. Nasty. INTIMIDATING.........

QUIT PLAYING NOT TO LOSE. More often than not, you do. At least at the college level. Plus I hate that crap.

Had we blocked the Hail Mary though, people would be talking about the resilience of the team. Their ability to recover from adversity. Showed great heart, didn't quit, this year might be special etc....... Instead we got the sky is falling and we are in trouble......... (for the record, I would like some things to improve, but I will give it time)

The second one is calling TO with 1 second left. IMO that just gave them a chance to catch their breath and get straight what they wanted to do.

Nebraska? or BYU?

I'd say they both got a chance to catch their breath and get straight what they wanted to do. If I had to choose the team that needed this opportunity more, I'm gonna say Nebraska did simply for the fact that this is their first ever possible time this staff and these players have encountered this situation as a group.

We only question it because it didn't work out for us, but I don't think the timeout was questionable at all. I know one thing, we'll have a better idea of what to do in that situation from now forward.....that seems fairly certain.

I mean, I doubt BYU changed their playcall during that timeout. Mark May criticized the decision heavily. That should tell you everything you need to know about how silly of a criticism it is.

Nebraska? or BYU?

It gave BYU a chance to catch their breath. I will take my chances against a second string QB running hurry up. NU set up exactly the same way before the TO as after the TO. I noted this as I watched it in the stadium. When I say catch their breath I really mean calm their nerves and think about things. No I don't question it because it didn't work, I questioned it the second he called the timeout. In a scramble situation I will take the defense anytime.

Some of you guys read way too much into one game though.

Out athlete? Recruiting? Schemes?

Wow I thought the teams were evenly matched for the most part. Except the Huskers missed some opportunities to finish them off in the 4th. I still don't think the Huskers got beat. The loss is from a midfield, last second desperation play. Hats off to BYU for pulling it off.

Nebraska? or BYU?

I get why Riley called it, but I think we were better off letting them franticly run the play. They woulda been more nervous and out of sync and we likely pressure Mangum harder.

Nebraska? or BYU?

I get why Riley called it, but I think we were better off letting them franticly run the play. They woulda been more nervous and out of sync and we likely pressure Mangum harder.

Are you sure?

I like the idea of pressuring more too in that situation, really I do. But I've seen teams win a lot of Hail Mary situations doing it exactly the same way we did it. We just didn't knock the ball down.

The problems wasn't how we defended it. The problem is that they were able to catch it and win.

Personally I like the timeout. Everything came down to that one play. Riley wanted to be sure his guys had a plan.

Had he not called a timeout, we'd have the exact same people sitting here whining the last two days that Riley didn't call a timeout!

Nebraska? or BYU?

Are you sure?

I like the idea of pressuring more too in that situation, really I do. But I've seen teams win a lot of Hail Mary situations doing it exactly the same way we did it. We just didn't knock the ball down.

The problems wasn't how we defended it. The problem is that they were able to catch it and win.

Personally I like the timeout. Everything came down to that one play. Riley wanted to be sure his guys had a plan.

Had he not called a timeout, we'd have the exact same people sitting here whining the last two days that Riley didn't call a timeout!

According to Riley's press conference yesterday, they practiced it several times. In fact, they practiced it the previous Saturday and a player was supposed to come underneath and didn't.

Nebraska? or BYU?

Are you sure?

Yeah I'm sure, me personally I let them scramble to get that play off. Probability goes down on it being successful. We had a bunch of guys behind the receiver, yet nothing in front.

It was a close game. They don't complete that Hail Mary -- a rare, but still surprisingly higher percentage play than you'd expect! -- and we aren't even having this discussion.

Anyway, this was a team that last season clawed its way past the likes of McNeese State (thanks to Ameer's heroics) and Iowa. They also challenged Michigan State (thanks to some breakout play from DPE) and had their moments. Losing Ameer, losing KB, losing RG4, losing DPE...

It's disappointing but not crushing that, in Week 1, we found a solid-but-not-spectacular BYU team to be an even match for unranked Nebraska. By season's end, very hopefully, this will no longer be the case. It's too bad we couldn't have warmed up with a cupcake, though. Like Utah :lol: