Banker's D

It is very early in this young season so let's see what the defense can do this week. I predict much improvement across the board, except perhaps in areas where starters were lost to injuries and we are installing new kids without previous starting experience. But keep the defensive schemes simple at this point in time. If So Bama doesn't have a real mobile QB that poses a great running threat, then we should play him honest and keep the front four as the primary pass rush effort. SoBama OLine can't be as good as BYU so we should get a much better rush and control in our DLine. If we don't for some reason, then we blitz frequently assuming they pass on us successfully. Otherwise, play to stop the run and force the pass and plan to intercept and make them punt. Blitzes are fun when they work but painful if we leave ourselves exposed and get burned. We should win this game comfortably without having to resort to gimmicks and gambles. Now, with regard to any possible hail mary situations (3 and 20 +) or 4 and do or die, we should be rushing with speed over size. Play LBs at the DE spots who can go get the QB quick. Make sure they come across and prevent the roll out by the QB where he buys extra time for receivers to get so far down field. Force the throw sooner than later.

I thought our pass rush was sub par for sure. Hill had plenty of time to throw the football to his receivers that were really tall and good with minimal pressure. I thought on third down situations we needed to put freedom in the game cause he was definitely one of our best pass rushers and best rush end in my opinion. It is one game in a new defense and we were without a good CB in Rose and LB in Rose ivey. I thought corners played okay but im not totally blaming them because you can't ask corners to cover for 8 or more seconds on the field. That fourth and one BYU had where that qb escaped to keep the play alive, he broke like two tackles and had like 8 seconds to throw and Davie was still on the receiver but didn't make a play on the ball but got the tackle.

All defenses work much better with great pass rushers and NFLers in the secondary.

Put another way, defenses rarely work very well without great pass rushers. A lack of high or even acceptable caliber DEs this year could be our undoing. Simply put, it's hard to work around. We say on offense, it starts in the trenches. Well, yeah - and on defense, you're in trouble if you let the opposing OL establish too much too easily.

All defenses work much better with great pass rushers and NFLers in the secondary.

I think what we will need to do is more blitzing when we don't have a "Gregory" in the front 4. That can be done and the defensive coaches can make adjustments. Collins is still the stud he was before. He just had 2-3 blockers the entire time. If we can get pressure in other ways, it will free him up.

We also won't go against another team that has 3-4 receivers over 6'5" with a QB that can pass like him.

Yes, but why was Collins constantly double and triple teamed? It was because BYU knew the rush ends weren't going to put any real pressure on their QB.

LOL not as much as the fact they had 5 and 6 in to protect vs 4.

Yes they dbl teamed Collins, but I went back and it wasn't every single time. He was handled by single blockers as well. He was a complete non factor in that game. Something that shouldn't have happened with regard to what we heard all camp long.

Also, they knew that we wouldn't come screaming either because of the mobility of Hill.

It's the worst thing to do on a mobile QB. Open up lanes via hard rush upfield. C'mon. I know you hate our DE's but lets be real here. It was more about scheme and personnel than it was just the "inefficiency" of our DE's.

Gangwish didn't play amazing, no. But you make it sound like both DE's are a liability.

The way Gangwish collapsed inside and lost contain on the Hail Mary allowed the BYU to roll out to his right and make the throw he wanted to. There were a lot of busts on the Hail Mary and throughout he game, but the DE's didn't play well on Saturday.

Oh. So the Hail Mary was his fault? Not the 8 guys just standing in the endzone (Except Gerry) letting the guy come up and make the play?

Unbelievable.

I think what we will need to do is more blitzing when we don't have a "Gregory" in the front 4. That can be done and the defensive coaches can make adjustments. Collins is still the stud he was before. He just had 2-3 blockers the entire time. If we can get pressure in other ways, it will free him up.

We also won't go against another team that has 3-4 receivers over 6'5" with a QB that can pass like him.

Yes, but why was Collins constantly double and triple teamed? It was because BYU knew the rush ends weren't going to put any real pressure on their QB.

Yes they dbl teamed Collins, but I went back and it wasn't every single time. He was handled by single blockers as well. He was a complete non factor in that game. Something that shouldn't have happened with regard to what we heard all camp long.

Also, they knew that we wouldn't come screaming either because of the mobility of Hill.

It's the worst thing to do on a mobile QB. Open up lanes via hard rush upfield. C'mon. I know you hate our DE's but lets be real here. It was more about scheme and personnel than it was just the "inefficiency" of our DE's.

Gangwish didn't play amazing, no. But you make it sound like both DE's are a liability.

The way Gangwish collapsed inside and lost contain on the Hail Mary allowed the BYU to roll out to his right and make the throw he wanted to. There were a lot of busts on the Hail Mary and throughout he game, but the DE's didn't play well on Saturday.

Oh. So the Hail Mary was his fault? Not the 8 guys just standing in the endzone (Except Gerry) letting the guy come up and make the play?

Unbelievable.

I didn't say it was completely his fault. I just commented (as many of the media members have) that Gangwish's spin move to the middle didn't help things, as it allowed the QB free reign to the right side of the field.

I know I am hard on Gangwish, because frankly I would prefer someone with more talent to play. I want more talent on the NU roster. Unfortunately, due to recruiting misses, a guy going pro early, and a guy pulling out his dong, Gangwish is the best guy on the roster. McMullen is not a natural pass rusher on the other D-end either, so the D-ends are a weak part of the defense.

• Fire 1

Unbelievable.

I didn't say it was completely his fault. I just commented (as many of the media members have) that Gangwish's spin move to the middle didn't help things, as it allowed the QB free reign to the right side of the field.

I know I am hard on Gangwish, because frankly I would prefer someone with more talent to play. I want more talent on the NU roster. Unfortunately, due to recruiting misses, a guy going pro early, and a guy pulling out his dong, Gangwish is the best guy on the roster. McMullen is not a natural pass rusher on the other D-end either, so the D-ends are a weak part of the defense.

I guess I don't understand the "If only we had someone better". That is so easy to say and we all wish we had all american's at every spot but we have to roll with who we have. I guess I'm also hurting for him too because I know what he's done and the work he has put in. Finally got his shot and he gets hurt. On top of that we have a bunch of grown men throwing him under the bus. I hope he doesn't read this board, and actually given who he is, I'd be shocked if he wasted his time to do so.

• Fire 2

Here's another thing CoHusk. Since were singling out singular actions on a single play. How about if TA doesn't throw like an idiot on that B. Reilly seem route? Lead the guy, we score, and we don't have to worry about a Hail Mary beating us. In that case, BYU has to complete a hail mary and a 2pt conv.

Somehow that pass was probably Gangwish's fault too.

Gangwish deserves a lot of credit for persevering, working hard, and putting him in a spot to lead the defense as a Blackshirt. I am sure it sucks for him to finally reach that level, and then get hurt. I am sure he will also tell you that he didn't play all that great on Saturday.

I do think it's crappy for grown men to be super critical of college aged ball players. I will try to limit myself of being so critical.

• Fire 1

Gangwish deserves a lot of credit for persevering, working hard, and putting him in a spot to lead the defense as a Blackshirt. I am sure it sucks for him to finally reach that level, and then get hurt. I am sure he will also tell you that he didn't play all that great on Saturday.

I do think it's crappy for grown men to be super critical of college aged ball players. I will try to limit myself of being so critical.

You are right, he would tell you that, because he's never satisfied. I'm not dumb I never said he played great either.

About his spin move on the last play. If you look, when he engages the tackle, he chose to spin inside because of the RB got on his outside shoulder. It was his only option. Also, BYU had 7 to block 3. Not making his spin move wouldn't have made any difference because of BYU's protection design. If you wanna blame someone. Blame Banker for only bringing 3.

You are right, he would tell you that, because he's never satisfied. I'm not dumb I never said he played great either.

About his spin move on the last play. If you look, when he engages the tackle, he chose to spin inside because of the RB got on his outside shoulder. It was his only option. Also, BYU had 7 to block 3. Not making his spin move wouldn't have made any difference because of BYU's protection design. If you wanna blame someone. Blame Banker for only bringing 3.

Yes, there is plenty of blame to go around on the Hail Mary. Banker only brought 3 rushers. The DB didn't get a jam on the WR who caught the ball and allowed a free release. Too many defenders got caught behind the front receiver.

Having extra guys in coverage seems like a very sensible (and typical) play on Hail Mary defense. So does not jamming receivers at the line. This isn't your bump-and-run down.

Ya. I would never play bump and run. Not in that situation. However, I wouldn't drop 8 either. I would bring pressure. In my opinion...quicker pressure = less time for QB to throw ball, and throw freely

Yes, there is plenty of blame to go around on the Hail Mary. Banker only brought 3 rushers. The DB didn't get a jam on the WR who caught the ball and allowed a free release. Too many defenders got caught behind the front receiver.
The too many defenders getting behind the front receiver thing isn't really a thing. Both BYU guys in the end zone had a defender directly in front of and behind them, plus two jumpers, which was all set up correctly. Kalu was supposed to be directly behind the front receiver, but was about 5 yards out of position, which maybe didn't end up mattering too much. Williams was supposed to be directly in front of the front receiver, but was also 5 yards out of position. That's what cost us.
  • Fire 1