Banker's D

It was 88, not Gangwish. I saw slow, whiteboy DE and instantly thought Gangwish.

Fixed it for you.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's just a joke everyone.

I'd hate to be the guy to break it to ya, since the only "slow" DE you guys like to talk about is Gangwish. But I'd bet money he's faster than McMullen, Faster than Dzuris, and maybe close to the same speed as Freedom.

Y'all watch Randy Gregory for two years and then get this crazy idea in your head that every DE is supposed to look like that.

Maybe you guns should find someone else to rag on for awhile. We got a thread for calling the players soft. Go to that one and talk sh#t. Or hey, there's one about our legacy kicker, his whole family has kicked a football for this place, we rag on him too. Lots of different guys helped us lose that game Saturday. I'd suggest starting a thread for each one.

It was 88, not Gangwish. I saw whiteboy DE and instantly thought Gangwish.

I didn't even know that Dzuris played that much in the game.

He actually played quite a bit. They rotated 8 guys on the d-line pretty much all game, which I was impressed with. The back ups all played at least 20 snaps by me estimation.

It was 88, not Gangwish. I saw slow, whiteboy DE and instantly thought Gangwish.

Fixed it for you.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's just a joke everyone.

I'd hate to be the guy to break it to ya, since the only "slow" DE you guys like to talk about is Gangwish. But I'd bet money he's faster than McMullen, Faster than Dzuris, and maybe close to the same speed as Freedom.

Y'all watch Randy Gregory for two years and then get this crazy idea in your head that every DE is supposed to look like that.

Maybe you guns should find someone else to rag on for awhile. We got a thread for calling the players soft. Go to that one and talk sh#t. Or hey, there's one about our legacy kicker, his whole family has kicked a football for this place, we rag on him too. Lots of different guys helped us lose that game Saturday. I'd suggest starting a thread for each one.

Dude, calm the eff down. It was a freaking joke. I am a slow white guy too.

I agree that the whole defensive line was pretty disappointing on Saturday. Valentine is still out of shape, maybe that is due to him missing the first few weeks of camp with his knee injury. Collins is going to get double-teamed every play. Every now and then he will still have to bust through and make a play. If he wants to be compared to Suh, he will have to make Suh-like plays. I think McMullen got too big to be an effective DE. I am not sure if that was his call or the coaches. Freedom is the next man up in for Gangwish. We will see what he can do in Gangwish's absence. Other than those guys, I think the coaches will need to come up with some other guys who can come up with an effective pass rush.

You got to give BYU a little credit IMO. No matter what you think of them as a non power 5 team, they have some players. They usually have pretty good O-lines and D-lines. I am not saying that Nebraska doesn't need to play better, but there lines are going to be better or comparable to most the better lines in the B10, OSU, MSU not withstanding.

Defense - especially coverages - are somewhat hard to determine on TV but I think the main "adjustment" we made in the second half was to be in more of a Cover 1 look - one safety deep, especially on the trips side. We might have tightened up our coverage a little bit but you can also play more aggressive short when you know you have safety help over the top.

We got a little help from them, especially dropping a wide open swing pass on 4th down that would have at least been another FG attempt and might have scored on that play. We got a sack, an INT and a couple penalties at the right time to help stop their drives. We did play better overall but I think we just had better athletes and that showed more in the second half.

We were jamming the receivers in second half and not giving them a free shot down the field. We have not seen defensive adjustments in years!

... which you can do if you have safety help over the top. It's fine to make that adjustment but it doesn't really make much sense to not do that in the first place.

Kind of like the Huskers opening up in a three-man front against Northwestern a couple years ago then switching back to the base defense after a few series (I guess two years does technically count as "years").

We were jamming the receivers in second half and not giving them a free shot down the field. We have not seen defensive adjustments in years!

With the coverage we are going to use, we have got to jam. Slow them down and/or get them off their routes..... It works. Just ask Marvin Sanders!

I would like our DB's to go to that physical style of play where the receiver has to fight to get off the LOS and knows every play they are going to get hit. IIRC, Sanders philosophy was along the lines of knock them down, drive them out of bounds or drive them off their routes.... It worked pretty well.

I guess I don't understand the "If only we had someone better". That is so easy to say and we all wish we had all american's at every spot but we have to roll with who we have. I guess I'm also hurting for him too because I know what he's done and the work he has put in. Finally got his shot and he gets hurt. On top of that we have a bunch of grown men throwing him under the bus. I hope he doesn't read this board, and actually given who he is, I'd be shocked if he wasted his time to do so.

Gangwish played a pretty solid game really.

Here's the problem Coach Power T. Guys like you and me, we let this board know how much we like the kid and respect his game. So now , when he makes a mistake, its instantly going to be brought up. Freedom made his sack when Gangwish brought pressure from the other side and forced Taysom right into Freedoms gap. Not taking away from the kid, but that's how it happened. McMullen didn't do a heck of a lot did he? Not anymore than Gangwish did. I haven't heard anyone bring up McMullen much at all. Its unfortunate how once you let people know where they can target you, its the first place they'll go.

Agree that we didn't get a lot from any of them (Gangwish, Freedom or McMullen). Actually, it's kind of interesting how similar they were on Saturday - they all had one solo tackle, one assist and one sack.

I don't know what all conversation has gone on lately but I think it's possible that Gangwish is being mentioned more now because of all the conversations about him previously. No one was really making an argument for McMullen earlier.

This is the last I will talk about Gangwish. I just don't think he is "good enough" to be a difference maker as the Rush End. McMullen may not be "good enough" either (I don't like how he is now 310 lbs). All summer, I commented on how I think the Rush Ends will struggle, and I got a lot of flak for that comment. People said that RG will be easy to replace, because he didn't play 100% all the time and he missed games due to injury. To be fair, Gangwish didn't ask for all the attention he got from the media. He is a "feel good" story, about hard-work, lifting, and perseverance.

I am listening to Jay Foreman's segment on Sharp and Benning right now. I am sure Foreman knows a LOT more about football than I do. Foreman likes Cover 4. He said when the D brings pressure, they have to be in-tune to what kind of D is being played behind you. When the rushers loses their lanes, it breaks down the coverage, because the DB's just can't cover that long. With RG, the opposing offenses had to gameplan for him. The offense does't have to do that. Foreman also brings up the fact that Gangwish can't do that spin move on the Hail Mary play. They should have 2 10-techniques and a zero-technique, to keep the QB hemmed in the pocket. Gangwish's spin move allowed the QB to roll out, and the WR to come all the way across the field for the catch. These are quotes from Foreman that I am paraphrasing.

One thing that is concerning with me about Banker's D, is that he isn't reinforcing technique. Yes, it's easier, but the guys have to maintain their technique.

As I said earlier. Look at the film the spin move doesn't matter because BYU brought a RB up to dbl Gangwish and ultimately get him hooked. So the qb could roll out either way. It didn't matter. As soon as Jack felt pressure on his outside shoulder he hit the spin move because it's the fastest route to qb. Look at the angles. If Gangwish doesn't get tripped up. He forces QB into a bad throw.

Look at the film. You will see it. Foreman is right but that's as the play is drawn up. Not as the dynamic changes due to protection from BYU.

I just went and watched the first few seconds of the play. The way Foreman sees it, the DE has to stay as wide as the widest guy on the offense. Gangwish doesn't do that, freelances, and spins inside. Yes, Gangwish is trying to "make a play", but he doesn't do his "job" on that play. His job is to take on the blockers, and keep Mangum in the pocket. If Mangum is kept in the pocket, he wouldn't have had ALL DAY to make the throw, as Collins is applying a strong push up the middle. That's why writers and former players are being critical of Gangwish on the hail mary.

This is what Riley spoke about regarding lane/gap integrity. If you don't "push" in a line, we create gaps/lanes that were not and shouldn't be there. Sounds fixable.