Troy Calhoun (reference to Tom Osborne)

Scratchtown

Here is a great read about the guy I actually WANTED to get the job back in December. Obviously didn't work out, but Bob Davie is quoted in here many times comparing Calhoun to TO.

"They're not Navy or Georgia Tech, where they're in double-slot (formation) a majority of the time. The thing that they do great is that it's too elementary to say they're just a triple option team. You have to spend a majority of your week preparing for triple option and they may not run any triple option against you. They'll be in the I-(formation). They'll run spread, no-huddle, up-tempo. They have a bank of offenses. In some ways it reminds me of Nebraska when Tom Osborne was winning all those championships. It's depending on the quarterback and their personnel, and they can get in and out of so many different things.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mountain-west-conference-air-force-academy-falcons-troy-calhoun-overlooked-072715

• Fire 1

No doubt, I would like his style offense MUCH BETTER. Was surprised at the Riley hire ( I had to google) and honestly not excited then and no more swayed one way or another now.

I also threw out the idea of Jeff Monken as a good choice. Georgia Southern and now Army HC. Travelled with Paul Johnson....

I hope the best for Riley as his success means success for the Huskers. Unsure how much he will "adapt" as he's probably set in his ways after 40 years coaching..... Just not sold on his offensive schemes yet. Maybe when he gets his guys. But I don't want to endure several years of average seasons in the hopes " his guys" turn it around. Just looking at his .504 record at OSU.

I'll stop so as not to derail thread, but Calhoun would have been a great up and coming hire who would have brought an O we have the pieces to run and can recruit for.

No doubt, I would like his style offense MUCH BETTER. Was surprised at the Riley hire ( I had to google) and honestly not excited then and no more swayed one way or another now.

I also threw out the idea of Jeff Monken as a good choice. Georgia Southern and now Army HC. Travelled with Paul Johnson....

I hope the best for Riley as his success means success for the Huskers. Unsure how much he will "adapt" as he's probably set in his ways after 40 years coaching..... Just not sold on his offensive schemes yet. Maybe when he gets his guys. But I don't want to endure several years of average seasons in the hopes " his guys" turn it around. Just looking at his .504 record at OSU.

I'll stop so as not to derail thread, but Calhoun would have been a great up and coming hire who would have brought an O we have the pieces to run and can recruit for.

You need to do some more googling. First, Calhoun is pushing 50 years of age. He's from my hometown of Roseburg and I knew him when I was a kid. Nothing up and coming about a 50 year old.

As for Riley's .504 winning percentage, that is heads and shoulders above what anybody else has ever done at OSU. When I was a student there, we won 5 or 6 games in 4 years and that's counting wins against 1-AA teams. The program was right there with Kansas State's before Snyder took over. OSU fans like to whine about Riley "only" going to lowly bowls. Many aren't old enough to remember when beating Montana and Stanford was a good year for us.

I like Troys style. I will hold out until the end of the season to make a determination on our new staff. Everyone here knows, if they cannot get a healthy tun game going, they won't last long here. Thus then its time we bring Scott home.

I always wondered what type of offense Scott Frost would have brought with him if he got the job here. Would he revert back to a power running game out of the I, or would he bring the Oregon high octane attack?

You need to do some more googling. First, Calhoun is pushing 50 years of age. He's from my hometown of Roseburg and I knew him when I was a kid. Nothing up and coming about a 50 year old.

As for Riley's .504 winning percentage, that is heads and shoulders above what anybody else has ever done at OSU. When I was a student there, we won 5 or 6 games in 4 years and that's counting wins against 1-AA teams. The program was right there with Kansas State's before Snyder took over. OSU fans like to whine about Riley "only" going to lowly bowls. Many aren't old enough to remember when beating Montana and Stanford was a good year for us.

Interesting that you have a relationship with both Riley and Calhoun. In your opinion, who you want to be coached by, and would you rather have Calhoun or Riley at Nebraska?

You need to do some more googling. First, Calhoun is pushing 50 years of age.

As for Calhoun pushing 50 the coach we have now has been there and done that and then some so he's done pushed that already but hey Calhoun is pushing 50!