What have Announcers/commentators become?

Last night I got the chance to listen to Trent Dilfer talk for 3 hours and i have to say, it was almost un-listenable at times.

I normally dont mind Trent, but he was bad last night. This got me thinking, why do guys like Trent Dilfer feel the need to get so "cute" with the crap they say?

Chris Berman is also an awful PxP guy. He tries to hard to have his funny sayings and get too fancy with a play call.

I know this is homerish to say, but i wish we could have more Kevin Kuglers. Kevin is witty, but he also just delivers a great call. Most announcers today are so caught up in their catch-phrase or just fall in to bad habits that make some games really hard to listen to.

So, what is your favorite style of Play-by-play/ Color commentator?

Catch phrase guys are awful, and Berman is the worst of the worst. Keith Jackson may have had "Whoa Nellie" and a couple other catch phrases, but he knew not to overuse them and not try to be bigger than the game. Somebody told Verne Lundquist they liked his "My Goodness" and now he brings it out a dozen or more times a game.

It's been a few years since I've listened to a Husker radio broadcast but I really liked Greg Sharpe.

On TV today I like Gus Johnson. He goes pretty hyper but somehow it comes off good to me.

The McDonough/Spielman team is probably my favorite in all of sports. Down to earth, no BS, and they drop some knowlege when they can.

Worst?

Ed Cunningham/Mike Patrick

Gus Johnson/whoever

Beth Mowins/Galloway.

Pretty much agree with this minus Gus Johnson. Though he's better at basketball than football.

I was actually listening to the Vikings/Niners game on the radio for a little bit on Monday. It was a Westwood 1 production. I don't know who the play by play guy was, but he was very good. His color guy was Kurt Werner, not so good.

For me the best all time for football on TV was Kieth Jackson and Frank Broyels on color. Pat Summeral and Madden were good for a while, but Madden just became a caricature of himself for about the last 10 years he broadcasted,

There are no great broadcasting teams anymore, that is the beauty of TV, you don't have to listen to watch the game.

• 1 month later...

I was complaining about Beth Mowins last week as she did the PxP for the game on ESPN2 following ours...I'm all for more Wermin doing games, but not with that harsh of a voice...

I felt like I was being nagged by some country singer (Reba something?) all game long today against NWern..Finally figured out where I'd heard that voice before...although puzzled about how this commercial can be a decade older than me...