This week's coaching point of emphasis...

zoogs

How to NOT get our faces kicked in, in the 1st quarter :D

Good game today. That was a brutal first half. When Tommy threw that goalline pick to close the half and Miami came out and scored to make it 27-3...soon to be 33-10, I thought this game was going to go down a much different way. What an improbable comeback. Frustratingly, tantalizingly close, even down to the final FG nearly missing the uprights.

But a lot of learning to be done and a lot of season left to play. GBR!

Need to work on the penalties. It's hard to win with over 100 yards of penalties. Basic football. Great game poor outcome.

The refs seemed to be quite particular about formations. I don't think I've ever seen so many called in a game before and on both sides too.

Yeah, we really got to get that "five men in the backfield", "12 men in the huddle" stuff sorted out. Crazy.

So...you are saying that if Nebraska keeps on learning, they should be ready to compete by the end of the season?...

No team is the same at the start of the season as they are at the finish.

Defense. Pass defense especially. We need to be able to pressure the QB with our Dline. We were in no means impressive against the pass.

Personally, on offense, I'd like to see Cross getting the ball going north/south next week and more carries. He's not an AA, but the guy runs hard and can get us good yardage if we give him the chance. He isn't a back that can run to the side with our line.

Receivers need to find a way to be ready to catch, and be hit.

Need to work on the penalties. It's hard to win with over 100 yards of penalties. Basic football. Great game poor outcome.

The refs seemed to be quite particular about formations. I don't think I've ever seen so many called in a game before and on both sides too.

That's what people said after the BYU game as well but they were all legit penalties - against both teams.

I know on of our illegal formation penalties was completely legit. We had trips to the bottom of the screen and they were confused about how to line up. I saw it before the snap.

One other time they called Gates for not being on the line. That can maybe be argued to be somewhat nit-picky as tackles are often pushing the limits but it's fairly common to have that called once or twice per game.

That's what people said after the BYU game as well but they were all legit penalties - against both teams.

I know on of our illegal formation penalties was completely legit. We had trips to the bottom of the screen and they were confused about how to line up. I saw it before the snap.

One other time they called Gates for not being on the line. That can maybe be argued to be somewhat nit-picky as tackles are often pushing the limits but it's fairly common to have that called once or twice per game.

Not trying to make an excuse for them. More just an observation that the refs weren't going to let that stuff slide.

Fundamentally, there's a lot to work on. But I simply don't understand how this team can on numerous occasions get hot for a quarter or a half and then look completely lost the other quarter(s) or half. Against Wisconsin we jump out to a 17-0 lead. Against Michigan State we were down 27-3 and nearly won. Against Miami we were down 33-10 and nearly won. Simply put, we apparently have the talent to compete; otherwise these things wouldn't happen. Where I'm at a loss is why it's so inconsistent.

Fundamentally, there's a lot to work on. But I simply don't understand how this team can on numerous occasions get hot for a quarter or a half and then look completely lost the other quarter(s) or half. Against Wisconsin we jump out to a 17-0 lead. Against Michigan State we were down 27-3 and nearly won. Against Miami we were down 33-10 and nearly won. Simply put, we apparently have the talent to compete; otherwise these things wouldn't happen. Where I'm at a loss is why it's so inconsistent.

Good points about those games. Think back to the comeback in 2011 against OSU, all the comebacks in 2012, the near misses you mentioned. Add in the not so great first half against BYU and it certainly does appear that the Huskers can't seem to find a 60 minute game to rely on