poor performance

I believed a 10-2 record was plausible and coaching would be the difference to put the team in position to win. So far, these coaches haven't held up to their end of the bargain and need to prove that Eichorst made the right decision.

Wait. So you're upset because you personally decided the successful metric for the season and the coaches haven't held up their end of an imaginary bargain with you that they didn't know about?

Say it with me guys. This. Stuff. Takes. Time.

Also, you thought coaching would be the difference to put us in a position to win? We've played 3 games. We've been in position to win all 3.

that this staff would coach kids up and play clean football is what I expected. You do those things, you win those games, but we didn't. Penalties increasing? Scheming a run defense against passing teams? Are we calling plays to the players strengths? Are we limiting Tommy's abilities? You gotta be kidding me if you're not upset with the way we've looked, for first year transition or not.

These struggles are things I wouldn't expect out of an experienced staff. If you can tell me in those two losses that this team/coaches look any different than the past, then I don't know what game you're watching.

all the "level headed" fans OK with a 7-5 or 8-4 season "as long as we see improvement" is a farce. A season like that is making the same mistakes that built up animosity for Bo's teams. Turnovers, drops, penalties, bad decision making by players/coaches is what is troublesome.

I don't want to just look good, I want to win.

that this staff would coach kids up and play clean football is what I expected. You do those things, you win those games, but we didn't. Penalties increasing? Scheming a run defense against passing teams? Are we calling plays to the players strengths? Are we limiting Tommy's abilities? You gotta be kidding me if you're not upset with the way we've looked, for first year transition or not.

These struggles are things I wouldn't expect out of an experienced staff. If you can tell me in those two losses that this team/coaches look any different than the past, then I don't know what game you're watching.

all the "level headed" fans OK with a 7-5 or 8-4 season "as long as we see improvement" is a farce. A season like that is making the same mistakes that built up animosity for Bo's teams. Turnovers, drops, penalties, bad decision making by players/coaches is what is troublesome.

Well, not sure why you expected clean football, because if you'd had done your research you'd see that historically Riley's OSU teams have always struggled with penalties. So I guess that is more on you not doing your homework.

Are we limiting Tommy's abilities? I don't see how you could possibly think so when he's playing the best football of his career right now.

Upset with the way we've looked? Eh. I get frustrated in tiny individual moments, but I've got too many other things more important in life than letting this have any real effect on me. I refuse to do anything other than just enjoy the ride. It's a lot of fun, I'd recommend trying it.

This team has looked very different than teams/coaches of the past. The main reason how is in adjustments. We made great halftime adjustments in the BYU game, and we made really good adjustments throughout the 2nd and 4th quarters of the Miami game as well. That rarely happened in the past.

Yesterday was a bad look. The team did not play well and I hope and believe they can put a better foot forward. But I still had a blast watching the game and cheering for those kids. They're still playing the game they love and giving it everything they can. It's all good, man.

I really appreciate your positive thinking Landlord! We have made adjustments on both defense and offense. They play calling has been very good and I believe will get better as these coaches and players get used to each other. Another year, with the overall improvement I see in Tommy A and I believe he will post some of the best QB numbers ever at Nebraska! While Nebraska is certainly not known as "QB U", we've had a few pretty good ones. I don't see him being compared to our 'greats' but he will own all the records most likely and I feel without question he is a better quarterback than Taylor Martinez! I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tommy put up stats next year (even this year frankly) that are in the 'heisman' area. Of course he won't even be seriously discussed for many reasons (intangibles certainly have room to grow alot).

We may not have won two of our first three but we could have and we are making strides. Offensively our numbers are not great but are not bad. Defensively we are giving up about 100 yards a game too much. The poorest play so far has been our special teams area. There is where the true problems are in my opinion; easily remedied and I believe they will be soon. If you look back, we have suffered about 150 yards a game in net negative field position as a consequence of poor special teams plays such as not fielding punts which roll for another 30 yards to almost no punt returns to few kick off returns, etc. We've missed field goals and have punted very poorly ourselves. All of this, has dramatically HURT us in all three games. Despite these issues, the offense has managed quite a number of long, sustained drives of 50 to 85 yards ending in TDs. We are scoring over 40 a game with two of three opponents being good competition. Those are good enough to win certainly. We have held opponents reasonably well defensively in all but about 3 quarters of the 12 quarters played so far. Again, two of three opponents were pretty decent offenses with talent at the skill positions and OLines. Again, I maintain our offense and defense, while not perfect, are playing well enough to easily be 3-0 with a 2 TD winning margin. Get the special teams where we are 'winning' in those and we will be much more successful. Those things are fixable as our kickers have talent! We have a gifted return man healing up and some other guys capable of making good returns. We are tackling as a team better than we have in years. Our blocking is reasonably good and getting better weekly. We have enough athletes to accomplish good kick/punt coverage. We need to look for some chances to block kicks but need our very fastest guys on the edges to go for those now and then.

Well, not sure why you expected clean football, because if you'd had done your research you'd see that historically Riley's OSU teams have always struggled with penalties. So I guess that is more on you not doing your homework.

Are we limiting Tommy's abilities? I don't see how you could possibly think so when he's playing the best football of his career right now.

Upset with the way we've looked? Eh. I get frustrated in tiny individual moments, but I've got too many other things more important in life than letting this have any real effect on me. I refuse to do anything other than just enjoy the ride. It's a lot of fun, I'd recommend trying it.

This team has looked very different than teams/coaches of the past. The main reason how is in adjustments. We made great halftime adjustments in the BYU game, and we made really good adjustments throughout the 2nd and 4th quarters of the Miami game as well. That rarely happened in the past.

Yesterday was a bad look. The team did not play well and I hope and believe they can put a better foot forward. But I still had a blast watching the game and cheering for those kids. They're still playing the game they love and giving it everything they can. It's all good, man.

"Done my research?" Man, you can tone that down before you know somebody.

We're not OSU and shouldn't expect/settle for that sloppy play. But if that's the case, then I'll continue to expect mediocrity and never winning a conference championships because with your transitive logic we should expect to never win one with this staff.

Tommy is a dual threat QB, he is playmaker with his feet and showed it again with his 3rd and 15+ option keeper for a 1st down. Set him free! Open the field and keep defenses honest by using him more in the run game. I believe we're now 0-4 when he attempts 40+ passes in a game? Either way, he needs to be mixed in on the run game more than scrambling out of the pocket to get his yards.

I expected a 10-2 season if the coaches kept this team within their strengths, so far they haven't, and it is awfully familiar to another staff we've witnessed. We sure did get some coaches speak from Riley about learning the zone reads this past off season about running the football.

I can pick out their mistakes and still enjoy/cheer the Huskers with the same passion whether we win or lose. It's more enjoyable winning and even if we had won those two games, I'd still be voicing these opinions. The first three quarters were pathetic, but Miami pumped the brakes and allowed us back in that game as much as we earned the right to pull that game out. That's why there will still be Fire Golden banners flown over their next home game.

I'm still on board with Riley. I liked him from the beginning, I loved what he did in the offseason, and I'm still excited for this season and conference play, as well as years to follow. We can listen to the coaches talk, but I will question what I see on the field until there is some real progress.

"Done my research?" Man, you can tone that down before you know somebody.

We're not OSU and shouldn't expect/settle for that sloppy play. But if that's the case, then I'll continue to expect mediocrity and never winning a conference championships because with your transitive logic we should expect to never win one with this staff.

Tommy is a dual threat QB, he is playmaker with his feet and showed it again with his 3rd and 15+ option keeper for a 1st down. Set him free! Open the field and keep defenses honest by using him more in the run game. I believe we're now 0-4 when he attempts 40+ passes in a game? Either way, he needs to be mixed in on the run game more than scrambling out of the pocket to get his yards.

I expected a 10-2 season if the coaches kept this team within their strengths, so far they haven't, and it is awfully familiar to another staff we've witnessed. We sure did get some coaches speak from Riley about learning the zone reads this past off season about running the football.

I can pick out their mistakes and still enjoy/cheer the Huskers with the same passion whether we win or lose. It's more enjoyable winning and even if we had won those two games, I'd still be voicing these opinions. The first three quarters were pathetic, but Miami pumped the brakes and allowed us back in that game as much as we earned the right to pull that game out. That's why there will still be Fire Golden banners flown over their next home game.

I'm still on board with Riley. I liked him from the beginning, I loved what he did in the offseason, and I'm still excited for this season and conference play, as well as years to follow. We can listen to the coaches talk, but I will question what I see on the field until there is some real progress.

We are terrified when we play a team with a running QB, and yet we refuse to terrorize our opposition with TA.

Felt like the defense got beat up. Hard to realize they gave up 3 touchdowns all day. 2 in the first quarter and 1 the rest of the game. Is that right?

Also, Miami had a punter that boomed the heck out of the ball, and FG kicker went 5 for 5. I guess if the Hurricanes could have scored more TDs, they would have. So in some strange regards, the defense tightened up and did a decent job keeping them out of the end zone.

yes. That is right. On par in yards and points with what the defensive guru gave up to this tram last year.

I think a lot of people got too caught up with a simpler scheme and penetration and playing faster and immediately thought 90s blackshirts. But if you know football and watch football yards are gained and points are scored. 9-6 games like Missouri and Uconn today are not the norm. Bama/ole miss and miami/nebraska are.

Yeah our defense has to be better. So does every other facet. But it wasnt the cosgrovian disaster folks are makin it out to be. Miami scored 14 points inthe first 5 minutes and only 19 the rest of the way. I was actually impressed with the personnel adjustments and the grind it out attitude by the D. My biggest gripe was leaving Davie in one possession too long.

Yeah, thought he was left in a little too long as well. Was shocked they actually did something and sat him down. It's tough to dig your way out of a hole so quickly. Down 20-3 at half, then immediately 27-3.....But man...the Huskers kept at it and played there way back into it. Was encouraging

Felt like the defense got beat up. Hard to realize they gave up 3 touchdowns all day. 2 in the first quarter and 1 the rest of the game. Is that right?

Also, Miami had a punter that boomed the heck out of the ball, and FG kicker went 5 for 5. I guess if the Hurricanes could have scored more TDs, they would have. So in some strange regards, the defense tightened up and did a decent job keeping them out of the end zone.

That is why I prefer to stop the run instead of the pass if we can't do both. If a team can run the ball they will score TDs. Long pass plays look flashy, but if the long play does not end in a TD, the drive often results in a FG.

I agree with you. That's exactly how I see it too.

I googled the FBS 2015 stats:

Nebraska Defense: Overall #108 out of 127 teams. Passing Defense: #126 Rushing Defense: #21

-- My conclusion is that teams have not tried to run on us in any serious manner.

Nebraska Offense: Overall #23 out of 127 teams. Passing: #22 Rushing: #69

-- My conclusion is that we don't have any balance and a weak offensive line.

• Fire 1

Nebraska Defense: Overall #108 out of 127 teams. Passing Defense: #126 Rushing Defense: #21

-- My conclusion is that teams have not tried to run on us in any serious manner.

This is the issue with the "stop the run" argument. In general, I agree. But we've gone completely to the other end of the spectrum. Only one team IN THE COUNTRY is giving up more passing yards per game than we are. And lest you think it's just because we've played teams that pass a lot (which is true), we're #101 in yards allowed PER ATTEMPT. I think we are somewhat better against the run but we've faced the 12th fewest rushing attempts. It may be true that we won't see as good of quarterbacks in conference play but I can pretty much guarantee you we will see much better offensive lines and running backs. So we'll see how that holds.

And this is what makes our pass defense look even worse: We would have to be giving up nearly 100 FEWER YARDS PER GAME to even crack the Top 100.