Concerns about the D and telling quotes

lo country

Again...this is not Bankers 3rd game as a DC...It is probably his 100th game as a DC.

A lot of people wanted that run stuffing defense...I wanted a complete defense. We have flipped the stats...from bad against the run and good against the pass...to bad against the pass and good against the run (sort of, I guess Miami ran for a decent amount).

I don't see anything in Bankers history that tells me this will change. I thought with all the coaches on defense having so much experience that it might and it still could but it just doesn't seem like it.

This is becoming absurd.

Perhaps Banker isn't the right man for the job here, and perhaps after this season, or a couple of seasons, Riley will choose to go in a different direction. But, how is a three game sample size at a new job with new players learning a new language/scheme a fair way to judge any coordinator?

In 2003, his first year as DC at OSU, they were about 11th in the country in total yards per game. In 2004, they were about 23rd. From 2005-2006 they slipped to around the 40s-50s. But, in 2007, they were back to having the 13th best defense in the nation. His 2008 defense ranked 2nd in the Pac-10.

So, clearly, his history shows he's an incompetent fool.

Give me a break. People are grasping at a small small sample size of his entire career to try and conveniently pigeon-hole him into their argument. His history shows some here have no idea what they're talking about.

• Fire 1

Oregon State has played whom, exactly?

Weber State, San Jose State, Michigan.

Surely an argument this obtuse is disingenuous. There's no other way, right? ...

And all three of those teams did worse than their season average against the Beavers. Every Nebraska opponent (including South Bama) did much better than their season average against the Huskers.

My argument was neither obtuse nor disingenuous. But yours is awfully defensive. ;)

Again...this is not Bankers 3rd game as a DC...It is probably his 100th game as a DC.

A lot of people wanted that run stuffing defense...I wanted a complete defense. We have flipped the stats...from bad against the run and good against the pass...to bad against the pass and good against the run (sort of, I guess Miami ran for a decent amount).

I don't see anything in Bankers history that tells me this will change. I thought with all the coaches on defense having so much experience that it might and it still could but it just doesn't seem like it.

This is becoming absurd.

Perhaps Banker isn't the right man for the job here, and perhaps after this season, or a couple of seasons, Riley will choose to go in a different direction. But, how is a three game sample size at a new job with new players learning a new language/scheme a fair way to judge any coordinator?

In 2003, his first year as DC at OSU, they were about 11th in the country in total yards per game. In 2004, they were about 23rd. From 2005-2006 they slipped to around the 40s-50s. But, in 2007, they were back to having the 13th best defense in the nation. His 2008 defense ranked 2nd in the Pac-10.

Give me a break. People are grasping at a small small sample size of his entire career to try and conveniently pigeon-hole him into their argument. His history shows some here have no idea what they're talking about.

OSU's new D also has a three game sample size at a new job with new players learning a new language/scheme. I guess it isn't fair to say OSU's defense is showing improvement over last year.

This is becoming absurd.

What about 2009-present?

Were they good? I did not check and there is a chance you are correct and that Banker is a stud.

I wonder what people would be saying about Banker if Daniel Davie successfully defended half of the passes he got burned on.

Exactly.

And I don't understand the gripe about the quote from the presser in the OP. Why wouldn't you want to keep giving Davie the reps in order to work on his game in that area?

I wonder what people would be saying about Banker if Daniel Davie successfully defended half of the passes he got burned on.

Probably something like "Davie is picking up where he left off." as opposed to "Wow, Banker's D is really screwing up Davie."

If Daniel Davie needs help from the safety on every pass play thrown his way, he isn't good.

• Fire 2

This is becoming absurd.

What about 2009-present?

Were they good? I did not check and there is a chance you are correct and that Banker is a stud.

They had a pretty substantial drop off from 2009 until 2012. But, I'm not trying to prove Banker is a stud and I'm not even saying I'm 100% confident in his abilities. All I'm saying is the guy has proven he can put together good defenses, and although he's had his struggles, he has had some very good seasons. Therefore, in my opinion, a three game sample size as a new coach, at a new city, teaching players he's never worked with before a new scheme seems reasonable enough to give him time to work and fix the situation. Because, historically, he's found ways to do it.

• Fire 1

They had a pretty substantial drop off from 2009 until 2012. But, I'm not trying to prove Banker is a stud and I'm not even saying I'm 100% confident in his abilities. All I'm saying is the guy has proven he can put together good defenses, and although he's had his struggles, he has had some very good seasons. Therefore, in my opinion, a three game sample size as a new coach, at a new city, teaching players he's never worked with before a new scheme seems reasonable enough to give him time to work and fix the situation. Because, historically, he's found ways to do it.

How long has it been since he "found ways to do it"?

Probably something like "Davie is picking up where he left off." as opposed to "Wow, Banker's D is really screwing up Davie."

If Daniel Davie needs help from the safety on every pass play thrown his way, he isn't good.

The coaches said before the season started Davie was our #1 CB. I don't understand how's there's such a disparity.

I wouldn't say he torched us the entire game. He had basically one good quarter.

You can say what you want, but giving up 379 yards = torched in my book.

141 yards and two TDs in one quarter is torching. 79 yards per quarter after that....not so much.

If you think the other three quarters were "torching", then if the first was like them, he would have ended up with 316 yards. TA ended up with 309 for the entire game. I guess TA was on fire also.

• Fire 1

This is Kalu, but is this an example of what our secondary is expected to defend?

1742065.jpg

If we are relying on 50% success in that coverage scheme, we are screwed.

• Fire 1

This is Kalu, but is this an example of what our secondary is expected to defend?

1742065.jpg

If we are relying on 50% success in that coverage scheme, we are screwed.

Do you really think that is how Banker and the other defensive staff want this pass defended?

• Fire 1