At what point do we stop bringing up Bo to defend Riley?

Look, I know we are only 3 games into the Mike Riley tenure, and that Riley is playing with a roster that was put together nearly 100% by Bo and the previous staff. But, at what point do we stop bringing up the negatives of Bo and his staff, just in the effort to defend Mike Riley and his staff?

I fully supported the firing of Bo. Although I didn't care as much about his sideline demeanor as most fans, Bo's win-loss record and performance in big games wasn't getting it done.

When Mike Riley was hired, I fully knew he who he was, and was aware of his performance at Oregon State. He had some good and bad years at OSU, in a very difficult situation. But, I could understand a lot of concerns with him from fans.

I came into this season with moderate expectations. I was very concerned about the overall talent and depth on the team. But, I thought that Riley and his staff could get the team to improve in the on-field performance. The first 3 games have produced extremely mixed results. Yes, the BYU game was lost on a fluke Hail Mary, but NU was also almost blown out in the first half and didn't finish the game in the 4th. The Miami game was also very alarming. I think Miami has more speed and talent than NU, but that doesn't excuse the poor start, lack of execution, and overall lifelessness shown for most of the game. A 1-2 record is still a 1-2 record. Yes, BYU and Miami are good teams, but it's not like NU was starting out with 2 teams ranked in the top ten.

I state the above because it seems like whenever someone brings up negative items regarding the Riley and the new staff, it seems like someone has to follow-up with a negative point or comparison to Bo. Yes, I guess it's good to see a calm demeanor on the sidelines, but it doesn't do much good if the coach doesn't win. Yes, it's a positive is a good representative of the University, handles the media well, and is universally well-liked. But, frankly, those are minor aspects of a coach for me, and winning is the biggest aspect of a coach for me. But, all of these "positives" about Riley seem to be in comparison to the previous guy. When can we let it go with Bo (insert Frozen GIF) and just talk about Riley and his team's performance, and not have every thread be a comparison to Riley and Bo?

A lot of the criticism of Riley is veiled defense of Pelini, which we saw in full bloom following the first game with threads such as "I hope you're happy now."

There's no legitimate justification for the Riley hate after one, two or three games, and there's no explanation other than Pelini's fans are still butthurt. I wish they would take their carnival to Youngstown where I understand Pelini has gotten the old gang back together again.

But there's plenty of room for Riley doubt, regardless of how you felt about Pelini. I know a lot of guys that hated Pelini and couldn't wait for him to get fired, and who are also completely disgusted with the Riley hire. It's rarely accurate to generalize a group of people based on one single criteria.

You can judge Riley on the fact that he has played on National TV twice and both were close losses, he has yet to be blown out, 408 made that a habit.

Huge progress right there....

If Miami had not in essence let us back into the game with their undisciplined play, they would have blown us out of Miami by 4 scores.

Look, I know we are only 3 games into the Mike Riley tenure, and that Riley is playing with a roster that was put together nearly 100% by Bo and the previous staff. But, at what point do we stop bringing up the negatives of Bo and his staff, just in the effort to defend Mike Riley and his staff?

I fully supported the firing of Bo. Although I didn't care as much about his sideline demeanor as most fans, Bo's win-loss record and performance in big games wasn't getting it done.

When Mike Riley was hired, I fully knew he who he was, and was aware of his performance at Oregon State. He had some good and bad years at OSU, in a very difficult situation. But, I could understand a lot of concerns with him from fans.

I came into this season with moderate expectations. I was very concerned about the overall talent and depth on the team. But, I thought that Riley and his staff could get the team to improve in the on-field performance. The first 3 games have produced extremely mixed results. Yes, the BYU game was lost on a fluke Hail Mary, but NU was also almost blown out in the first half and didn't finish the game in the 4th. The Miami game was also very alarming. I think Miami has more speed and talent than NU, but that doesn't excuse the poor start, lack of execution, and overall lifelessness shown for most of the game. A 1-2 record is still a 1-2 record. Yes, BYU and Miami are good teams, but it's not like NU was starting out with 2 teams ranked in the top ten.

I state the above because it seems like whenever someone brings up negative items regarding the Riley and the new staff, it seems like someone has to follow-up with a negative point or comparison to Bo. Yes, I guess it's good to see a calm demeanor on the sidelines, but it doesn't do much good if the coach doesn't win. Yes, it's a positive is a good representative of the University, handles the media well, and is universally well-liked. But, frankly, those are minor aspects of a coach for me, and winning is the biggest aspect of a coach for me. But, all of these "positives" about Riley seem to be in comparison to the previous guy. When can we let it go with Bo (insert Frozen GIF) and just talk about Riley and his team's performance, and not have every thread be a comparison to Riley and Bo?

A lot of the criticism of Riley is veiled defense of Pelini, which we saw in full bloom following the first game with threads such as "I hope you're happy now."

There's no legitimate justification for the Riley hate after one, two or three games, and there's no explanation other than Pelini's fans are still butthurt. I wish they would take their carnival to Youngstown where I understand Pelini has gotten the old gang back together again.

But there's plenty of room for Riley doubt, regardless of how you felt about Pelini. I know a lot of guys that hated Pelini and couldn't wait for him to get fired, and who are also completely disgusted with the Riley hire. It's rarely accurate to generalize a group of people based on one single criteria.

You can judge Riley on the fact that he has played on National TV twice and both were close losses, he has yet to be blown out, 408 made that a habit.

If Miami had not in essence let us back into the game with their undisciplined play, they would have blown us out of Miami by 4 scores.

Soooo....us coming back in the game has nothing to do with our team playing better. It's all about Miami "let us" back in.

Everyone is different. I was a little more than upset and still am for that matter when Solich was fired. I was less than thrilled when Clownahan was hired considering the absolute mess he turned the Raiders into after Gruden had more than gift wrapped a pretty good team for him. However, I gave Clownahan a little bit of a chance. At least the chance I gave him was a bit longer than three games. It was game five against Texas Tech that I pretty much lost it. Getting absolutely throttled 70-10 to a Texas Tech team that had managed to lose to New Mexico just a few weeks prior was more than I could handle. I totally get why we're a divided fan base at this time. We've been here before. I have been excited about the Riley hire ever since it was announced. I have followed him for quite a few years now. He's more or less a "poor man's" Bill Snyder which is what I think we need because it's a bit unrealistic to think we will perennially pull in top 20 recruiting classes. So far, we have lost two games. One was lost to a very well coached team, while the other was lost to a more talented and athletic team. The one thing most all of us wanted during the Bo tenure was a competitive team. Barring any lopsided losses with the exception of Michigan State, I'm in Riley's corner for the long haul.

Amen to this post. We need to all remember that these players are not Riley's players, they aren't the guys he brought in and recruited to fit HIS system. We need to allow a little leeway here. Riley seems like a class act, I really liked Bo, and was pissed when he didn't get the job the first go round after Solich left. I think if given the chance after Solich Bo very well could still be the coach and possible have another Championship. Bo turned into more of a sideline spectacle that I think he ended up kind of relishing and didn't mind being the focus on Sports Center instead of what his team was doing on the field. I think with time Riley will get us into the top 10 rankings again which will help bring in better recruits.

i don't know why you don't give Nebraska any credit for the comeback. Miami was trying like heck to score TD's but our coaches made some changes and the defense started holding and that allowed our offense to score enough to get us back into the game. even in ot miami wasn't content to kick the easy FG...they wanted the TD and couldn't get it starting from the 12 1/2 yard line. if anyone thinks our defense hadn't stepped up they are on crack.

• Fire 2

There is a huge difference between having a conversation about Riley's performance compared to Bo and what is coming from the hardcore Riley defenders. more and more the main response to any criticism regarding the team's performance is simply either Melvin Gordon or 408.

Please tell me how that is in anyway relevant to how the team is doing this season.

52 62 38 48 45 36 63 70 f#*k the fans 600+ wyoming 38 unanswered puttin minnesota back on the map fire me if they wanna fire me

Thats all BEFORE gordon and the 408. And its right off the top of my head. There were far more issues with bo than that day by Gordon. But its the most recent in a long line of meltdowns. Its was yhe final straw. And the most drastic. I mean, the guy shattered the single game record in a hair over two quarters. So yeah. Id expect it to get brought up.

Remember when 408 and Carl attacked the man with the camera after the Texas A&M game????

can we ask when are people going to stop bringing up Bo to attack Riley?

Riley's .500 career record over several decades and zero conference championships in his career is enough on it's own. I would guess Pelini and his direct deposit are doing just fine.

Look up Nick Sabans record prior to LSU. Stellar

Saban had only been a head coach a few years prior to LSU......and never had a losing season. Riley has a 9 loss season in recent years.

Stop attacking Riley!!!

How is stating Riley's OSU losses for 2011 an attack?

Soooo....us coming back in the game has nothing to do with our team playing better. It's all about Miami "let us" back in.

Nope, I did not say that. What I am saying is if Miami had not opened the door and made it much easier by committing several bone headed penalties, there would not have been the opportunity for that comeback. The comeback was great to watch, but at the same time very disappointing to see why it was even needed in the first place...

Okay, I guess I am dense, but now I get the "408" for Pelini. It's a way to get back at those who complain about Eichorst hiring ".333" :P

408 is his legacy. 408 rushing yards put on the defensive genius in less than 3 qtrs. Of all the crappy directional schools and others in the history of college football, and he lets it happen to Nebraska.

Remember when he said he did not forget how to stop the run???

• Fire 1

Okay, I guess I am dense, but now I get the "408" for Pelini. It's a way to get back at those who complain about Eichorst hiring ".333" :P

408 is his legacy. 408 rushing yards put on the defensive genius in less than 3 qtrs. Of all the crappy directional schools and others in the history of college football, and he lets it happen to Nebraska.

Remember when he said he did not forget how to stop the run???

So, it is the coaching...not the players, right?

I agree 100%

• Fire 1

I'm a glass half full guy, but Miami definitely let us back into the game.

They were trying to let us back into the game in the first half, but we couldn't oblige.

Miami had two second half touchdowns called back on penalty, and a 15 yarder on their own head coach that let us score on an otherwise stalled drive.

They went into the prevent defense that every team uses when up 33 - 10 in the fourth quarter. They dared Tommy Armstrong to beat them passing. He almost did.

Props to the Huskers. That comeback was genuinely awesome, perfectly executed and cold-blooded. Couldn't ask for more. At least not during Regulation.

But Miami. Jesus. That was a meltdown for the ages.

• Fire 2

Nope, I did not say that. What I am saying is if Miami had not opened the door and made it much easier by committing several bone headed penalties, there would not have been the opportunity for that comeback. The comeback was great to watch, but at the same time very disappointing to see why it was even needed in the first place...

And......if we hadn't made some bone headed plays and penalties early in the game they wouldn't have been that far ahead.

That game can be played both ways.

• Fire 1

That's what the commentators broadcasting the game said. It doesn't mean that they are right, but they probably more objective than many of us here.

Can't find the link right now, but several days ago there was a post where a number of national analysts said that NU was the best 1-2 team in the country. I assume they're objective also.

That's what the commentators broadcasting the game said. It doesn't mean that they are right, but they probably more objective than many of us here.

Can't find the link right now, but several days ago there was a post where a number of national analysts said that NU was the best 1-2 team in the country. I assume they're objective also.

And who is our competition for that title?