Where's Wilbon? Here's where...

knapplc

Yet another thread where people mythologize the unplayed backup, imagining he's some great talent who, for mysterious and probably clandestine reasons, isn't seeing the field. In this mythology, this player is a key piece to this season's puzzle but the coaches, for reasons which are unknown but most likely nefarious, won't play him. If they do, there's no doubt he'd outperform the starter.

Exactly.

I would be very surprised if Taylor sticks around next year. With him being a Jr next season with 0 career carries. He's outtie - which stinks cause I think he's our 2nd best RB on the team currently.

If he was in fact the second best RB on the team than he would be playing.
  • Fire 2

My personal opinion about the running game is to run power out of the spread. That may sound like an oxymoron, but it's really not. Power is a blocking scheme associated with pulling guards, assignment blocking, and using a fullback (when under center) or H-back (when in a shotgun or pistol) as a lead blocker.

This is what Ohio St was doing in the playoffs last year. They killed Bama/Oregon with the same power play all night long. It was a beauty to watch.
I agree that it was a beauty to watch, but the blocking scheme was actually a zone. See the center would point out the middle of the opponents defense. Usually a MLB, but it could also be a nose guard when going against a 3-4 defense. The left guard and tackle would double team the D lineman immediately to the left of the center's middle guy, but the guard would only hold him long enough for the tackle to engage and then move ahead to block the second level. The backside DE would be taken care of by the H-back who would go from the play side to the backside and seal it off. The QB would read the unblocked backside OLB. If the OLB moved towards the middle, the QB would run the ball outside. If the OLB stayed outside, he would hand it off to the HB, who would find the best running lane in the middle where they had 4 blockers (LG, C, RG, and RT) on four defenders (RDT, RDE, ROLB, MLB). Elliot would just hit the hole and be gone. Almost every time they ran that play, it was a Safety that made the tackle. It was a beautifully designed and very well executed play, but it was a zone play. Sure, it had elements of power, but at its heart it was a zone play.

They call it "wham", and what a thing of beauty...

ez.0.gif

Also takes a running back that will put his foot in the ground and get up field which Newby is not, (Ameer was one of the best I've seen at it) he would have been tackled for a 2 yard gain on that play because the hole would have closed by the time he decided to go through it

Yet another thread where people mythologize the unplayed backup, imagining he's some great talent who, for mysterious and probably clandestine reasons, isn't seeing the field. In this mythology, this player is a key piece to this season's puzzle but the coaches, for reasons which are unknown but most likely nefarious, won't play him. If they do, there's no doubt he'd outperform the starter.

I can't +1 this enough.

For some reason, fans like to pick a backup as "their guy". And then if "their guy" isn't playing, the coaches must be idiots or there is some conspiracy going on why he isn't playing. And then if "their guy" does get a chance and takes off, they can say/think/feel they are smarter than the coaches. And if "their guy" never makes it, they can move on to "their next guy".

Wasn't someone claiming Imani Cross should be the starter just a year ago?

I would be very surprised if Taylor sticks around next year. With him being a Jr next season with 0 career carries. He's outtie - which stinks cause I think he's our 2nd best RB on the team currently.

Disagree. The last staff had Freedom at tight end LMAO - where was that judgment? Taylor is better suited in an offense that is less shotgun runs, but to me he is still the second best option on the team. Gifford started at LB over Newby and I was the first to say how dumb that was....Look who is starting now - Newby.

Is Davie still starting? Nope. I am not saying myself or the fans are always right, but the coaches aren't always either.

• Fire 1

Disagree. The last staff had Freedom at tight end LMAO - where was that judgment? Taylor is better suited in an offense that is less shotgun runs, but to me he is still the second best option on the team. Gifford started at LB over Newby and I was the first to say how dumb that was....Look who is starting now - Newby.

Is Davie still starting? Nope. I am not saying myself or the fans are always right, but the coaches aren't always either.

Good lord...just stop the "Freedom was a TE so the coaches were idiots" line. I've seen this posted a number of times.

Players come into a program all the time and then switch positions. This happens under every single coaching staff and sometimes as late as even their Junior or Senior year and in pretty much every coaching change in college football.

Freedom was a true freshman in his redshirt season last year. It's not like the previous staff had him out playing TE and sucking for 3 years only to have the new staff come in and discover this great talent as a DE.

How can you say he is the 2nd best without ever seeing him have a college carry and coming off injuries? Unless you have watched most practices there is zero way you can claim he is the 2nd best

How can you say he is the 2nd best without ever seeing him have a college carry and coming off injuries? Unless you have watched most practices there is zero way you can claim he is the 2nd best

Watching HS film. Good size, runs hard, can run between tackles, has a good attitude, hard worker. Looked good in the spring game carrying the ball.

How can you claim he isn't the second best on the team at RB? Strictly because he doesn't get any carries?

Good lord...just stop the "Freedom was a TE so the coaches were idiots" line. I've seen this posted a number of times.

Players come into a program all the time and then switch positions. This happens under every single coaching staff and sometimes as late as even their Junior or Senior year and in pretty much every coaching change in college football.

Freedom was a true freshman in his redshirt season last year. It's not like the previous staff had him out playing TE and sucking for 3 years only to have the new staff come in and discover this great talent as a DE.

Again, looking at his stats in HS and watching the film - seemed pretty obvious.

Again, looking at his stats in HS and watching the film - seemed pretty obvious.

Freedom wanted to play TE right? Wasnt that his choice and they were going to give him a chance to play TE and then see how it played it out. Like Jamal Turner at QB.

Watching HS film. Good size, runs hard, can run between tackles, has a good attitude, hard worker. Looked good in the spring game carrying the ball.

How can you claim he isn't the second best on the team at RB? Strictly because he doesn't get any carries?

You can tell by his HS film that he has a good attitude and is a hard worker? Wow.

And his HS film was for 3 or 4 years ago? A lot can change development-wise between when you are 16/17 or 20/21.

* I'm not saying he doesn't have a good attitude or is a hard worker

HS film doesn't mean everything. A lot of recruits have amazing HS film but that doesn't translate to college ball. That's just a fact.

HS film doesn't mean everything. A lot of recruits have amazing HS film but that doesn't translate to college ball. That's just a fact.

Plus, I believe he has had two serious leg injuries since those amazing HS films were produced.

Another thing that I think gets lost a little on the whole poor Wilbon thing is that Devine is a true freshman and he is getting reps. Maybe bc he is working extremely hard as a fresh and learning the system were the coaches can trust putting him in the game. They must not trust Wilbon enough right now to put him in the game. Maybe why RIley mentioned in an interview about how some guys come in more advanced at the position bc of high school system and work ethic to learn a new system.