Husker fullback Andy Janovich rumbles. Old-schoolers roar

NUance

Chatelain: As Husker fullback Andy Janovich rumbles, the old-schoolers roar

Column by Dirk Chatelain / World-Herald staff writer POSTED: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2015 8:00 PM | UPDATED: 12:20 PM, MON SEP 28, 2015.

<snip>
Janovich’s only prior carries came in garbage time against Idaho State in 2012. Back then, he looked capable of following the great tradition of Husker fullbacks. Then he disappeared from the offense, a victim of the spread offense era. “It’s a dinosaur,” offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf said of the fullback position. “It’s a dying breed.”
“They’re hard to find because no one uses them, even in high school. ... But we continue to look for them and we want to keep it alive in our system.”
<snip>
Critics say Nebraska, like the fullback position, is a football dinosaur. And this final score won’t quiet them. But the current state of the program only enhanced the joy of seeing Janovich burst into the open field. The scene took you back to an era when Nebraska didn’t have to worry about teams like Southern Miss. The Huskers could show up, put up 400 rushing yards and get home in time for supper.
If Janovich had joined the Huskers 20 years ago, he might have been a legend like Rathman and Schlesinger. Instead, he didn’t even get an FBS scholarship offer. His influence has mostly been limited to special teams; Mike Riley calls him one of the best he’s been around.
Maybe he deserves more.

LINK

Danny Langsdorf calling the fullback trap. How awesome is that? :lol:

• Fire 5

Dem are nuts, NUance.

Short story for ya.

My grandpa and I and a friend of his were running some cattle into the squeeze chute to give em their shots and what not and there were a couple young calves that needed castrated. My grandpas buddy takes his pocket knife out of his pants pocket, strolls over to one of the calves and flips it onto it's back, and cuts it. He squeezes out the nuts and cuts em loose. Calf is bleeding like a son of a gun, and this guy wipes his knife blade off on his pants. We head over to the fire shack where we got some PBR and a wood burning stove. He takes those nuts, still bloody and lays em on the top of the hot stove. He rolls them around there a little bit while we each finish off a couple beers. Then when we are ready to head back out into the cold, he takes em off the stove and eats em whole.

Grandpa looks at me as I look back at him like WTF? And he says, that's not how you're supposed to do it. Haha.

• Fire 5

Another wrinkle added by Langsdorf, week after week, he adds something new, it is working and quite refreshing. GBR

This, as well as Tommy's improvement and involvement of the TEs, is a huge positive for the offensive side of the ball.

Now, if we can get the 3rd and short playcalling fixed...