Coaching Rankings

Well I think people are over rating our offense as if we are great. Good yes but not great. Throw all the stats out you want, hype up tommie armstrong all you want. If you stare down your receivers, and you can't go through your progressions you can still be good at the college level but not great. You can get away with it some, but have we not noticed the untimely turnovers??? Tommie's shear talent over comes some of it which is why the offense is still good, but we will always be subject to turnovers like OT in Miami, unless that is fixed.

As for the defense. I'm not expecting any improvement from the defense. People just assume the defense will get better, they just disagree on how long it will take. I'm not convinced it will ever happen to be honest. I think the defense needs to find a pulse first before we start thinking about expectations. Right now I don't have any expectations for the team. I don't even expect bowl games anymore, in fact just the opposite, I think we will miss the bowl season from time to time. So why should our staff be ranked higher? It doesn't matter it you refuse to accept it or not. It is what it is.

i know...let's all piss in each others cheerios until mike either wins or gets fired. oh...that suggestion has already taken hold.. carry on.

Let's all cover our ears and eyes and pretend everything is fine.

it takes time to build a house.....we start with the foundation and build up from there. it's not time to bitch about the color of the carpet yet when the framework is still being built.

:yeah

Those who have drank "too much Kool-aid" are just as guilty as those who had their ax sharpened before the first kickoff. The lessor of two evils goes to the Kool-aid drinkers because at least they are looking for the good and supporting the cause rather than finding fault all the time.

Those who are finding joy in ripping on this new staff after only 4 games obviously are stimulated by being miserable or trying to make everyone else miserable. With such a short sample of games to base an opinion, it's one thing to point out our deficiencies and issues that need to be corrected, its quite another to rejoice while delivering the critique!.

I think I can speak for the majority here on HB when I say there is a very large contingent of us who are backing MR and his staff, have seen some improvements while recognizing we have a ways to go and have some hope without saying he is the second coming of TO.

If after the next year or two, we are still sitting here saying the same things, then I will come join the sh*t storm party, pat all the Nostradamus type prognosticators on the back telling them how great they are and go drown my sorrows at the local watering hole.

i know...let's all piss in each others cheerios until mike either wins or gets fired. oh...that suggestion has already taken hold.. carry on.

it takes time to build a house.....we start with the foundation and build up from there. it's not time to bitch about the color of the carpet yet when the framework is still being built.

House is already built. Been built for sometime now. Unfortunately, Banker is starting to slowly trash it from what I've seen in 4 games. Will Banker clean up this mess he's starting to accumulate? I don't know. But if he doesn't, will Mike Riley do what he needs to do to protect this house and kick him out?

This topic is fair (I think the rankings are totally wrong) but at the start of the year we used all of these "rankings" that people found talking about how great Riley and his staff were, most underrated staff, staff you would want your kid playing for, best staff with the least amount of resources. We had a lot of posts and links about those rankings.

This is totally fair, again, it is totally not accurate in my mind but it is a fair topic.

Would you care to link me to at least a couple of each of those examples you list.

If there were "a lot of posts and links about those rankings", then a couple examples of each should be fairly easy. I'd just like to read up on that a bit.

I'm especially interested in the ones where this staff was called "the most underrated staff" and " the best staff with the least amount of resources". I hadn't heard either of those arguments before now.

Are you willfully ignoring the postings on the board for most of last spring and throughout the summer? Not to mention you were probably one of the chief perpetrators of admiring the staff.

I don't know how often it was claimed that the board said that they were the 'most' underrated or that they did the 'best' with the least amount of resources. But don't kid yourself if you think the the general sentiment of the board wasn't that the staff was vastly underrated or that they were one of the best with doing more with less than other programs. Teachercd was hyperbolic to make a point.

The selective memory of some is really quite the sight. I'm not sure if people just talk out of their back sides and don't remember, or if they are just being b dishonest.

So.......no links?

confused048.gif

House is already built. Been built for sometime now. Unfortunately, Banker is starting to slowly trash it from what I've seen in 4 games. Will Banker clean up this mess he's starting to accumulate? I don't know. But if he doesn't, will Mike Riley do what he needs to do to protect this house and kick him out?

Boy you didn't pay much attention during the Bo Pelini era huh? That, or you're choosing to ignore it.

• Fire 2

Boy you didn't pay much attention during the Bo Pelini era huh? That, or you're choosing to ignore it.

Bo didn't improve the house either. In fact he trashed it pretty hard a few weekends as well (408). Hence why I thought he should have been let go.

ARE YOU HAPPY? Or would you like to continually try and tie me and anyone else who doesn't like Banker as a Bo supporter? Even though it's far from the truth. But i guess it's the ONLY ammo you have. Huh?

• Fire 2

Bo didn't improve the house either. In fact he trashed it pretty hard a few weekends as well (408). Hence why I thought he should have been let go.

ARE YOU HAPPY? Or would you like to continually try and tie me and anyone else who doesn't like Banker as a Bo supporter? Even though it's far from the truth. But i guess it's the ONLY ammo you have. Huh?

Oh, for a second there you made it sound as if Banker, Riley, and company took over a great situation. That's a point I would debate. It's not a bad situation by any means, but there's definitely some issues to fix. Injuries and lack of depth at some key positions has hurt us. Still, four games in I still think the 9 win benchmark is achievable.

I don't think Nebraska is quite what it once was, hasn't been for awhile, but I'm a believer that it can be brought back. I don't like to undersell this program at all, I believe we have the ability to be elite again, but that doesn't mean we have been. The last HC was in the business of underselling this place, the new guy seems to embrace this program and see it as a real opportunity.

Oh, for a second there you made it sound as if Banker, Riley, and company took over a great situation. That's a point I would debate. It's not a bad situation by any means, but there's definitely some issues to fix. Injuries and lack of depth at some key positions has hurt us. Still, four games in I still think the 9 win benchmark is achievable.

I don't think Nebraska is quite what it once was, hasn't been for awhile, but I'm a believer that it can be brought back. I don't like to undersell this program at all, I believe we have the ability to be elite again, but that doesn't mean we have been. The last HC was in the business of underselling this place, the new guy seems to embrace this program and see it as a real opportunity.

I get what your saying and I agree with a lot of it. What I'm saying is if Banker doesn't start to clean up this mess or at least improve it (considering we're at the bottom in many defensive categories), at what point does Riley say "this needs to stop" and kicks Banker to the curb. I'm cautious with that because they are buddies and really honestly don't think Banker is a good coach. I hated it when Bo did the same thing with his buddies. Els had no business being a coach and Paps had no business being DC for example.

That said, Nebraska is last or near last in penalties, too. Riley deserves some of that criticism. Just like Bo did when his teams had issues with penalties. Do I think Bo deserves some blame? Sure, a little. He left us bare in some position spots. But to blame Bo for everything and not leave Riley and company accountable for anything like being last in penalties and passing defense is ridiculous.

People can try to pretend that coaching clout doesn't matter, just like they can try to convince themselves that star rankings don't matter in recruiting. But the reality is, a 30-40 staff with a 30-40 ranked recruiting class = a 30-40 finish in the polls. Until we learn the formula of hiring a big-time coach who can land big-time recruits, we'll continue to languish in mediocrity.

Be patient and give the team and coaches a chance to at least play the games and see how they do before you condemn them all to hell. It is not fair to anyone to not give them a chance.

This team has disappointed many because we are not undefeated after 4 games. Sadly, we haven't been undefeated since 1997. that is a long, long, long time. Many new seasons with all the same new hopes, dreams, expectation, etc. Be realistic.

I get what your saying and I agree with a lot of it. What I'm saying is if Banker doesn't start to clean up this mess or at least improve it (considering we're at the bottom in many defensive categories), at what point does Riley say "this needs to stop" and kicks Banker to the curb. I'm cautious with that because they are buddies and really honestly don't think Banker is a good coach. I hated it when Bo did the same thing with his buddies. Els had no business being a coach and Paps had no business being DC for example.

That said, Nebraska is last or near last in penalties, too. Riley deserves some of that criticism. Just like Bo did when his teams had issues with penalties. Do I think Bo deserves some blame? Sure, a little. He left us bare in some position spots. But to blame Bo for everything and not leave Riley and company accountable for anything like being last in penalties and passing defense is ridiculous.

Definitely criticism to dish out to these guys. Being last in the nation is pass defense is unacceptable, new scheme or not. I think too many people have been overcritical for really being so early in the process, and a lot of those same people were very reluctant and sometimes defensive about criticisms to Bo Pelini. That's where I come in with the Pelini smack talk. If we are still looking like that defensively down the road here, and hopefully not as far down the road as Bo and his scheme got, then hell yes there needs to be some changes.

I also think there is an upside to this type of defense we are playing though. I think this scheme will attract some playmakers, especially in the defensive backfield and at the rush end position. I think kids want to be a part of a scheme like this, versus the thinking mans scheme like Bo's. I think we will get some guys in here that are a little bit better fit for the aggressive things we want to do defensively. Some guys love to be challenged and want the opportunity to make plays, and some guys want over the top safety help and play "safe". I'm not a fan of that type of football. Aggression creates turnovers, we just need guys who make plays on the ball.

I also really like the fact that this team looks a lot better tackling at times and does very well against the run for the most part. Banker deserves some credit for that.

The penalty thing is just baffling. I didn't expect us to be so sloppy.

This team has disappointed many because we are not undefeated after 4 games. Sadly, we haven't been undefeated since 1997. that is a long, long, long time. Many new seasons with all the same new hopes, dreams, expectation, etc. Be realistic.

With our schedule, I don't think it was unrealistic to expect that we'd be undefeated at this point.

Once he got into his recruits, he didn't do so well. When Riley took over the second time, they didn't get back to being good and or ranked until he got into his recruits.

You might want to check out Riley's last 5 seasons with Oregon State, which of course would be with his own recruits. You'll see a 9 under the L column. Yikes.

Well I think people are over rating our offense as if we are great. Good yes but not great. Throw all the stats out you want, hype up tommie armstrong all you want. If you stare down your receivers, and you can't go through your progressions you can still be good at the college level but not great. You can get away with it some, but have we not noticed the untimely turnovers??? Tommie's shear talent over comes some of it which is why the offense is still good, but we will always be subject to turnovers like OT in Miami, unless that is fixed.

As for the defense. I'm not expecting any improvement from the defense. People just assume the defense will get better, they just disagree on how long it will take. I'm not convinced it will ever happen to be honest. I think the defense needs to find a pulse first before we start thinking about expectations. Right now I don't have any expectations for the team. I don't even expect bowl games anymore, in fact just the opposite, I think we will miss the bowl season from time to time. So why should our staff be ranked higher? It doesn't matter it you refuse to accept it or not. It is what it is.

I am with you, it's not great but you can glimpse some improvement in certain positions, so I think we can look ahead positively. On the defensive side, well call me a skeptic in that area.