Riley Sucks, Who Do We Steal?

It doesn't make sense to fire someone in their first year unless they are win-less. Riley hasn't been great for you guys but he has been competitive, you've been in every game this year and could very easily be 6-0 right now. Firing a guy like that so early sets a terrible precedent and it's not as if people are beating down the door to coach at Nebraska.

You have to play to your strengths. Some schools have location, others have tons of money, fertile recruiting grounds or a prestigious conference but in Nebraska's case I think we'd all agree that your greatest strength and source of appeal to potential coaching hires and recruits alike is your history and tradition. Flipping between guys every couple of years sort of cheapens that. Were I a Nebraska fan I'd give him at least three years.

You're obviously wrong, don't you know?

I've been saying it all along. Scott Frost is your answer!

Another first time head coach, brilliant!!!

Yeah, it's not like Nebraska has a history of 1st time head coaches having success:

Tom Osborne - 255-49-3 (.836) 1 of only two head coaches in D1 CFB history to never win fewer than 9 games per season

Frank Solich - 58-19 (.753) Never had a losing season

Bo Pelini - 67-27 (.713) The only other head coach in D1 CFB history to never win fewer than 9 games per season

So you define success as being fired as the HC at NU. nice. if they were so successful they would still be coaching at NU :facepalm:

I don't recall Dr. Tom being fired as HC. Now, he was pushed out as AD, not head coach.

I digress, I guess I'd take any of those 3 over what we currently have.

Sorry I should of said FS and BP.

I've been saying it all along. Scott Frost is your answer!

Another first time head coach, brilliant!!!

Yeah, it's not like Nebraska has a history of 1st time head coaches having success:

Tom Osborne - 255-49-3 (.836) 1 of only two head coaches in D1 CFB history to never win fewer than 9 games per season

Frank Solich - 58-19 (.753) Never had a losing season

Bo Pelini - 67-27 (.713) The only other head coach in D1 CFB history to never win fewer than 9 games per season

So you define success as being fired as the HC at NU. nice. if they were so successful they would still be coaching at NU :facepalm:

So, winning over 70% of your games isn't successful? I guess you've never heard of Harvey Perlman or Steve Pederson? Nebraska is the only school in history to fire a 9 win coach without any losing seasons. In fact, they've done it twice!

and yet he got fired. Duh your right I've never herd of them.

What does steve have to do with you coach being sh#t canned.

Steve Eicherson, Shawn Pederhorst -- same difference. Both Harvey's henchmen.

• Fire 2

Mark Richt

Chip Kelly

Jim Tressel

Gary Patterson

Art Briles

All of these guys are proven winners. We can't take a risk on a young, unproven up-and-comer (Frost, for example). Maybe we can lure Kelly from the Eagles the same way Bama lured Saban from the Fins. Bring in Frost as the OC/HC in-waiting and we're all set.

None. I've completely changed my perspective about MR.

I would like to see him get 5 years. I want to see what he can do with just his recruits. If he does well, he better not retire till he's ready for the grave

its the roster situation discussion thats done this to you aint it?

Really makes your head go in circles when you think about things instead of kneejerking.

• Fire 1

None. I've completely changed my perspective about MR.

I would like to see him get 5 years. I want to see what he can do with just his recruits. If he does well, he better not retire till he's ready for the grave

its the roster situation discussion thats done this to you aint it?

Really makes your head go in circles when you think about things instead of kneejerking.

Count, I'm absolutely floored at those numbers. You're 100 percent correct.

Mark Richt

Chip Kelly

Jim Tressel

Gary Patterson

Art Briles

All of these guys are proven winners. We can't take a risk on a young, unproven up-and-comer (Frost, for example). Maybe we can lure Kelly from the Eagles the same way Bama lured Saban from the Fins. Bring in Frost as the OC/HC in-waiting and we're all set.

Tressel was my pipe dream, especially at the close of the 2013 season when I felt very strongly that Bo should have been fired. The whole "show cause" thing may well have been an issue -- well, that, and his (as of 2014) commitment to his administrative role.

Briles - Baylor HC

Patterson - TCU HC

Kelly - Philadelphia Eagles HC

Richt - Georgia HC

Cool names, but it would have been absolutely stunning for any of these guys to leave their jobs at any of those programs. Sometimes it happens, but it's highly unusual. Count guys like Pat Fitzgerald (at his alma mater, Northwestern) on that list or Wittingham at Utah (though I think there's a rumor that we may have tried if Riley declined. That's a solid list. Maybe in the wrong order.)

Another fan favorite (2013) suggestion, Chris Petersen, may have been lured away from Boise, but we don't know that. Others have suggested he would only have left for the West Coast.

I'd be pretty willing to take a chance on Frost if it came down to it. I don't know about his coordinator credentials, but he has that head coach makeup about him. I think for this past hire, though, veteran experience was appropriately a top factor.

• Fire 1

Richt is a class act and an ace recruiter. Knows what it takes to compete against elite SEC talent. Not to mention he's a Nebraska boy. Might be looking for a change to get out of the grind of the SEC.

Like him or not, Tressel has proven himself as a top coach and recruiter as well. He's won a national title. And he's available.

I'm fine w/ Chip Kelly as well. We need someone BIG TIME to attract attention and get this team turned around.

If you want another scrub, fine. You'll get the same results.

I completely agree, Mark Richt understands the Nebraska tradition. Tressel knows what it takes to win in the BIG Ten regardless of the past, and chip Kelly will soon leave the pros just like Saban and will be looking for a college job. If we pass on these then we will never see the light...our current coach will never be anything but a 500 type of guy. That is who he is and that is how he will retire. Expecting Riley to win championships is like expecting a lamb to beat a lion.

• Fire 1

Eichorst hired Al Golden and Mike Riley.

'Nuff said.

Wrong. Please stop the lies and disinformation.

Al Golden was offered and accepted the job at UM on December 12, 2010.

Shawn Eichorst was hired by UM on April 12, 2011.

Please explain to the rest of us how Mr. Eichorst managed to hire a coach 4 months prior to being hired himself.

It took me less than 30 seconds to find this information using my Googler.

• Fire 2