Riley Sucks, Who Do We Steal?

Hey PowerT, I don't watch AFA as much as you do. Does Calhoun run a wing-bone, like DeBerry used to? Are all of his plays based off option concepts? Just curious since I don't know. Thanks in advance.

Calhoun was an OC for the Texans so he certainly has experience that goes way post option ball. I imagine at a major program he'd change his O up significantly, being an AF grad not sure if he'd leave though.

I'd hire Doc Holliday, or maybe Tom Herman.

Holliday has done superb work at Marshall. We should have given him a look last season. Tom Herman did great things at OSU and has already made a difference at Houston. IMO Herman is way more qualified than Frost. Either guy would jump at the job.

Herman will end up being Texas' next coach. You watch.

And we'll still be here with Riley winning 4-5 games a year.

Will Texas take another guy who has only been a head coach for 1 year? I think they make a hard run at Freeze

Ah, I didn't think of that. That's a good take. I could see them taking a look at him.

I think herman is a great hire, and probably the best hire. But on the eyes of Texas he would come from an "inferior " school in the same state and an "inferior" conference. Texas ego is their undoing

You guys actually think any coach would want to come here after your fire someone after one season? No.

Urban Meyer came to Ohio Sate after Luke Fickell was fired after ONE year, and Fickell took Ohio State to a bowl game>
Fickell wasn't fired.

None of these names that you all are mentioning are elite recruiters, which is what Nebraska desperately needs.

Richt will always be my #1, for the aforementioned reasons.

The reason Richt scares me is that while he does recruit very well, I believe he has struggled for identity and game management in big games.

I think Nebraska geographically and historically is in a weird position where they would benefit greatly from a unique style of play, like the triple option. Makes me wonder what a coach like Niumatalolo could do if he was allowed to establish the option offense again. Surely his recruiting efforts wouldn't be taken lightly, given his background? I'd rather take advantage of a unique style than try to woo all the elite recruits to come to Nebraska. You'd have to believe a well drilled option team would have killed off a couple of these games this season, at least.

I don't think we should can Riley just yet, but I want to. I'm torn.

If we could take someone.

Anyone.

Guaranteed.

Being real about it.

I'm okay with Scott now.

We have a coach with 30 years experience.

He can't handle the pressures of a game clock.

If this is rock bottom, then we get a promising guy.

Oh and he's a Husker too.

Anything and anyone that brings back:

1. Smash-mouth, power football
  2. Good fundamentals
  3. Clock management
  4. Player Development
  5. And yes.......OPTION FOOTBALL!

I'm pretty sure you and I are on the same page. The only answer, in terms of scheme and style of football for what everyone wants to see, is Troy Calhoun.

I'm probably going to say his name 1000 times this week, and 100000 times this season.

You've convinced me, Power'T. Consider me on the Calhoun bandwagon.

If not him, I'd probably go, in order:

Chip Kelly (as long as he brought in a beastly DC)

Scott Frost

Tom Herman

Lance Leipold

None of these names that you all are mentioning are elite recruiters, which is what Nebraska desperately needs.

Richt will always be my #1, for the aforementioned reasons.

Doc Holliday is a hell of a recruiter.

Richt is in a top5 talent state right next to a top3 talent state. That makes quite a bit of difference. Plus I don't see him leaving UGA anyway.

You guys actually think any coach would want to come here after your fire someone after one season? No.

Urban Meyer came to Ohio Sate after Luke Fickell was fired after ONE year, and Fickell took Ohio State to a bowl game>
Fickell wasn't fired.

Correct, he stayed on as an assistant. But the point is OSU had no intention on settling for a coach. The spent the money required to get the best coach available. I think our boosters aren't as enthusiastic about buying out coaches as the OSU or Alabama boosters. I also had a feeling that part of the reason TO wanted Bo to keep the offensive staff to save money. I still don't understand why MR was given such a long and large contract. It is not out of line with what Power 5 coaches get, but MR was making substantially less, and many people wanted him out at OSU.