Riley/Langsdorf's Offense is Callahan 2.0

I've been on this all season. I'd love to see these stats for the entire year. I've maintained that most of our "struggles" running the ball are because we simply run an inside zone play straight ahead - no misdirection - into seven or eight guys in the box. There is simply very little room to run and no margin for error when you do that. When we are actually the slightest bit creative with our running game, it works pretty well.

I blame most of that on the o-line, we get no push what so ever. That is why we can't convert a third and one. Working the edges gives the back a chance to find a hole.

It's hard to get outside the tackle box unless the o-line is doing their job. Otherwise your getting hit in the backfield more often than not. We will convert more 3rd downs when the coaching staff realizes you can actually run the ball on third down

They don't do a bad job of holding them from coming free, it is the push forward that I believe we are lacking to move people and clear a lane

I've been on this all season. I'd love to see these stats for the entire year. I've maintained that most of our "struggles" running the ball are because we simply run an inside zone play straight ahead - no misdirection - into seven or eight guys in the box. There is simply very little room to run and no margin for error when you do that. When we are actually the slightest bit creative with our running game, it works pretty well.

I blame most of that on the o-line, we get no push what so ever. That is why we can't convert a third and one. Working the edges gives the back a chance to find a hole.

It's hard to get outside the tackle box unless the o-line is doing their job. Otherwise your getting hit in the backfield more often than not. We will convert more 3rd downs when the coaching staff realizes you can actually run the ball on third down

They don't do a bad job of holding them from coming free, it is the push forward that I believe we are lacking to move people and clear a lane

So we should run to the outside more where they just have to hold their guy in place instead of get a good push.

You were joking but I'd say more "play like the 2010s instead of the 1930s."

Yeah, I mean, I agree. I understand the run game isn't necessarily their strong suite but whether it's players or personnel or philosophy, something hasn't looked too lethal about it this year. It seems they'll really have to think of ways to get yards. Tommy is probably a big part of the stats on those outside runs. I don't think they really wanted him to run very much at all, but they've been forced to go with it.

• Fire 1

So we should run to the outside more where they just have to hold their guy in place instead of get a good push.

You stated yourself that we are making more hay to the outside, there is a reason for that. It is not the play diagram or just the talent of the back

Yeah, I mean, I agree. I understand the run game isn't necessarily their strong suite but whether it's players or personnel or philosophy, something hasn't looked too lethal about it this year. It seems they'll really have to think of ways to get yards. Tommy is probably a big part of the stats on those outside runs. I don't think they really wanted him to run very much at all, but they've been forced to go with it.

I mean ... our "struggling" rush offense is #23 in the COUNTRY in yards per attempt. The only thing struggling about our running game is our OCs ability to get himself to call a rushing play.

We are #56 in the country in yards per passing attempt, in case you were curious.

• Fire 4

I mean ... our "struggling" rush offense is #23 in the COUNTRY in yards per attempt. The only thing struggling about our running game is our OCs ability to get himself to call a rushing play.

We are #56 in the country in yards per passing attempt, in case you were curious.

The art of surprise is working.

How many times did we see TA just go bombs on 3rd and 4 or less yesterday? Seemed like quite a few, when maybe a read-option might have been a decent play once in a while

Watched the SF vs Green Bay today and Troy commented on Kappenick and his issues this year. Said the coach is trying to turn him into a pocket passer, not using his legs or mobility. Said it wouldn't work as they game plan away from his strengths. I watched Kappernick go for long bomb after long bomb in the hopes of connecting with anything. In short throws, they were high, low, off target. Anything, but accurate. I immediately thought of TA and Langs. Square peg, round hole.

TA was the leading returning rusher and they completely took away 1/2 of his game. This board says time and time again the hardest thing to defend is a dual threat QB. Riley an all his awesome experience has completely made this team one dimensional. Yes we run. Sporadically, not enough and sure not at the right times so I do not consider we have a running game. Then throw in a QB who struggles with certain passes and we have issues. Let TA run, use Oz and Jano. RUN THE BALL 2 OR 3 TIMES IN A ROW. Langs would be amazed that it works......

I find it comical that people use Callahan and Cozgrove as their examples of poor offense and defense when Bill's offense was better than Frank's or Bo's and Bo's defenses put of 7 of the top 10 worst performances in school history. That doesn't mean that Bill/Coz didn't suck but I find it funny that just because TO picked Frank and Bo that they get a pass. When the truth is that all three sucked (with most of the blame going to Frank for putting us in this situation in the first place) and it isn't looking good for this staff at the present time either.

What?

Solich's offenses at Nebraska scored an average of 4 points per game more than Callahan's. And about 10% of Callahan's points were scored in the last 3 minutes of games that were already decided. Take those away and Solich's offenses were a full TD per game better.

And W/L record is what counts. That's why people use these guys as examples. Frank and Bo had really good W/L records. Callahan and Riley do not.

Take away the first four years when Frank was handed National Championship talent and pissed it away. Crouch and Co won in spite of him for his first 4 years. They left and all of a sudden we had to beat McNeese State to make a bowl game in 2002. That isn't a coincidence. Frank and Bo were handed a lot better talent than Bill and Mike were and that isn't debatable.

I find it comical that people use Callahan and Cozgrove as their examples of poor offense and defense when Bill's offense was better than Frank's or Bo's and Bo's defenses put of 7 of the top 10 worst performances in school history. That doesn't mean that Bill/Coz didn't suck but I find it funny that just because TO picked Frank and Bo that they get a pass. When the truth is that all three sucked (with most of the blame going to Frank for putting us in this situation in the first place) and it isn't looking good for this staff at the present time either.

What?

Solich's offenses at Nebraska scored an average of 4 points per game more than Callahan's. And about 10% of Callahan's points were scored in the last 3 minutes of games that were already decided. Take those away and Solich's offenses were a full TD per game better.

And W/L record is what counts. That's why people use these guys as examples. Frank and Bo had really good W/L records. Callahan and Riley do not.

Take away the first four years when Frank was handed National Championship talent and pissed it away. Crouch and Co won in spite of him for his first 4 years. They left and all of a sudden we had to beat McNeese State to make a bowl game in 2002. That isn't a coincidence. Frank and Bo were handed a lot better talent than Bill and Mike were and that isn't debatable.

Bullsqueeze. Bill was handed just as much if not more raw talent than Bo. There was a huge number of players on Callahan's first roster that went on to sign NFL contracts. Callahan wasted a lot of talent trying to flip the culture. Riley is doing the same thing.

Nebraska ran 27 first-down plays Saturday — 11 passes, 16 rushes.

On first down, Tommy Armstrong was 2-for-11 for 15 yards, including a completion for minus-1. In other words, one of 11 attempts produced a gain.
Meanwhile, 16 first-down rushing plays produced 94 yards. Seven of Nebraska’s first eight first-down rushes gained four yards or more, putting NU on schedule to move the chains.
As the game wore on, it became more and more clear that Armstrong was off. Yet NU kept taking shots downfield. The Huskers averaged 5.5 yards per carry and 3.4 yards per pass attempt.

OWH

• Fire 1

This game looked a lot like what was going on during McNeese last year, Tommy dropping back and just chucking 50 passes to no one.

I'm not sure who that was on, Tommy or the respective OC in each game. But from what I heard from Riley's presser ramblings, it was part of the game plan this week.