Only intelligent responses please...

Okay, so now that we've had meltdown 3.0. I have a couple questions about some things that happened in the game.

What actually happened on that "5 down" play where Illinois HC lost his sh#t?

How was that a catch on the first play of the final series of the game?

Why did the refs allow that play after to completely finish before any sort of recognition that the play before was going to be reviewed? I didn't hear a single whistle.

Also, did anyone else think holding should've been called on LT on the deep ball at the end?

Thanks!

Okay, so now that we've had meltdown 3.0. I have a couple questions about some things that happened in the game.

What actually happened on that "5 down" play where Illinois HC lost his sh#t? The refs lost count of the downs and almost gave them 5 downs ala Colorado vs Mizzou in 1990. Riley caught it after 4th down and we got to ball. The problem for Illinois was that the marker said 3rd down and they called a play accordingly. So they had every right to lose their mind on the refs incompetence.

How was that a catch on the first play of the final series of the game? Don't remember the play.

Why did the refs allow that play after to completely finish before any sort of recognition that the play before was going to be reviewed? I didn't hear a single whistle. B1G refs are incompetent.

Also, did anyone else think holding should've been called on LT on the deep ball at the end? Wasn't paying attention to the line, I was praying for this not to be BYU part 2. My prayer wasn't answered.

Thanks!

I hope that helps a little.

• Fire 1

I wanna assume they blew a whistle before the play was snapped, but it seemed like they just simply went back and reviewed a dead play. That crew was terrible. Want proof? We had our least amount of penalties on the season I believe, and I doubt that was a fix on our part.

What actually happened on that "5 down" play where Illinois HC lost his sh#t?

How was that a catch on the first play of the final series of the game?

Why did the refs allow that play after to completely finish before any sort of recognition that the play before was going to be reviewed? I didn't hear a single whistle.

Also, did anyone else think holding should've been called on LT on the deep ball at the end?

Thanks!

Confusion started on the end of the previous series, I remember the down marker saying second and short when it when it could have been marked as a first down. I could go back and look, but you would have to pay me to re-watch almost any part of yesterdays game.

The first catch on the final drive looked like a catch to me. His arm was underneath the ball IMO. Sure it was at a weird angle but he seems to have control. In the end I think they were gonna score even with or without that catch, We would have figured out how to give up a score.

Yeah, it was lame that they let the entire next play play out, but if he had caught it, it would have been us catching a break instead of Illi-noise.

I don't recall the holding penalty in question. I did get the sense that the refs were letting teams (on both sides) get away with a lot more. I don't recall a single holding penalty on either team the entire game. Which is cool since it was balanced in that way. The DPI's on the last red zone score though......most of them were BS IMO.

I hope the above meets your intelligence criteria.

I believe the replay booth buzzes the head official if they want to review a play. He may have gotten the buzz before the snap on the next play and decided to allow the review, and just didn't blow the whistle before the play started or forgot to. Or just blew it softly. Who knows? Just speculation. But it wasn't an egregious game-changing error.

As to that reviewed catch on the last series, they have to have enough evidence to reverse beyond a shadow of a doubt. It looked like his arm may have gotten under the ball. It's one of those where if you just look at the video and have to decide what the call should be, you'd probably say "incomplete". But to overrule a play, there's a much higher standard of evidence. They would have to clearly see that the arm did NOT get under the ball, and the ball clearly hit the ground first. If they can't see that, they can't overrule the call on the field. Likewise, if they had ruled incomplete on the field, I don't think the review could've reversed that one either.

• Fire 1

I have to look up an AA chapter after yesterdays game. Drinking does not mix with Nebraska football, not this year...

I am actually drinking less and less with each game.

Actually, it was worse for me because I drank a Rock Star before the game. I was a jittery pi$$3d off mess by the end of it thanks to the energy rush. I had to go run around the neighborhood for about an hour just to calm down

I was at the game, and the officials running the game clock and the down and distance must have been drunk, off the street for a new job, or both.

They couldn't keep up with the down and distance all game. Illinois accidentally went for it on 3rd down, because the game clocks in the stadium all said 3rd down - it took us a long time to figure out what was happening, but I finally made sense of it when our next drive following, on 3rd and 10, the down and distance in the stadium said 4th and 10. This happened a few more times, once on 4th and 19, the PA guy said 4th and 10, and the clock showed 4th and 10, then 4th and 27, then 4th and 19.

Everyone staffing that game, from an officiating standpoint, and from Illinois game management staff standpoint, was utterly incompetent.