What did everybody expect in Mike Riley?

Getting the right coach is at least 50% in making of a great program (recruiting, changing attitudes/expectations, game coach, etc). Either spend the money and get a known quantity like Alabama, OSU, Mich did or take a risk on an up and comer like Tom Herman at Houston or like OU did with Stoops. Getting a re-tread in Riley is not what a program like Nebraska should strive for. He would have been a decent hire for a program like Illinois, Pitt, Kansas - not a blue blood like Nebraska.

Nebraska better get their next coaching right.

Thanks for the turd in the punch bowl, Arch.

Sigh.

I ain't mad at you, I appreciate your post and thank you for it. But it didn't make me feel any better about the prospects heading forward.

But you seem cool, thanks again.

Sorry, 74Hunter. It wasn't my intention to kick you while you were down.

No problems, man. It's not you.

Reality sucks sometimes. Appreciate your insight.

Thanks for your kind words, man. I'll do my best to limit my posts here. As I mentioned in my bio, I view myself as a visitor here and as such, I will do my best to be respectful of the regular members here. I have no beef with Husker fans. You guys aren't like Ducks fans that disrespect anyone and everyone who isn't a Ducks fan and doesn't believe that the Ducks will win the naty every year before the season is even played. And I don't see you guys kicking others while they're down. But after my post, I can see how I might come across as kicking you guys while you're down. My apologies if I made anyone here feel that way. Like I said, I got no beef with Husker Nation and its fans. Good luck, Huskers.

There was just an OSU fan on USC who stated exactly what these two OSU fans have said. Even more.

Stunning. I did the research, why didn't our AD?

I didn't expect much this year but I've been underwhelmed even still. Too many head scratching moments in just 5 games so far.

Clock/game management, personnel decisions, being completely lost in basic coverages, NFL play calling mentality etc. Having Tommy throw 35 to 40 times a game is part of the plan, even in bad weather situations. How could that have been seen as a wise move?

Just too much amateur hour for any staff, let alone an experienced one. Hope to start seeing some competent coaching the rest of the season.

Every loss this season has been expected from me, especially when I predicted a 7 - 5 season. But Illinois was not apart of that loss column. Nor did I expect an Iowa team to beat WIsconsin on the road. I don't believe we will see a repeat of the Illinois game this season, as a coaching mistake like poor clock management can be easily fixed. You just wouldn't expect it from a coach that has many years of head coaching experience.

I would love to say 7 - 5 is still very much on the table, and realistically, it can be attained. This is college football in the Big Ten where anything is possible. But a 6 - 6 season seems more likely than anything else.

I expected him to assemble a championship-caliber staff. Instead, he brought in his old buddies. FAIL

I expected us to play clean, disciplined football. FAIL

I expected him to maximize our strengths and minimize our weaknesses. FAIL

This ^^^

I wasn't concerned with putting a W/L on it. Without considering the first point, I figured W/L would take care of itself if the second 2 points had been as I/we had thought.

Poor-mediocre coaching as he has shown for 20 years

A guy to win the press conference.

Undisciplined teams as he has shown for 20 years

Dinky-dunk offense as he has shown for 20 years

UNphysical teams as he has shown for 20 years

Terrible coordinators as he has kept for years

2-3 years of suffering until people realize the staff just aren't good football coaches, then a new AD and hopefully an actual good coach.

I was pissed when he was hired. Firing a coach costs money and disrupts recruiting. It is something you do not want to do. When it is necessary, make sure you do not have to do it again soon by hiring the right coach. I expected 5 to 7 years of 8 to 9 win seasons followed by another coaching change. Now I hope the decision makers have the vision to end this mistake quickly and rid the University of the people that allowed it to happen.

• Fire 1

Any chance he is gone after this year or is he too nice of a guy? I see 5 wins (2 current plus Minn, Rutgers & Purdue). What if he only gets to 3 or 4?

After this season? Only possible way is to lose every game, including Rutgers and Purdue, and maybe he gets fired.

It's possible after next season. As for the coach, I wasn't a fan when he was hired, I didn't drink the Kool-Aid during the summer like normal, and I'm not surprised by the seasons results so far.

Any chance he is gone after this year or is he too nice of a guy? I see 5 wins (2 current plus Minn, Rutgers & Purdue). What if he only gets to 3 or 4?

Almost zero chance as that would mean that Eichorst would have to admit to a colossal mistake, plus we'd have another steep contract buy-out.

Almost zero chance as that would mean that Eichorst would have to admit to a colossal mistake, plus we'd have another steep contract buy-out.

The Dolphins just fired a coach after four games, so I guess anything is possible.