What did everybody expect in Mike Riley?

The loss to IL yesterday is just business as usual for Mike Riley. I am sorry what did everybody expect was going to happen with this program with his hiring? His first year at San Diego he was 8-8 and the next two years he went 1-15 and 5-11. After being fired he went to Oregon St. and out of 14 years he had only 8 winning seasons, last year going only 5-7. Somehow Shawn Eichorst thought if we uproot the guy who can't win anywhere else, spread some pixy dust and unicorn farts around, he is going to make us a powerhouse team again. I have tried to stay positive and overlook his past coaching career and hope for the best. Unfortunately Husker Nation is finding out the hard way that moving this guy and his assistants 1400 miles didn't do a damn thing for his coaching ability. I won't sit here and say that Bo was going to ever advance this program more then what he had, but if you are going to fire him at least replace him with somebody who is not a total failure as a coach. The Cornhusker Athletic Dept. is one of if not the wealthiest in the nation. Why can't we spend the money and get somebody worth a damn who will bring us back to our glory days. I know that did not work out real well in 2004, but we had an athletic director problem then also. By looking at Eichorst's investment in Mike Riley, I'm not too sure we don't have the same problem today. With the money Nebraska has and the right leadership at athletic director, there is no reason why we should't be a top 25 team each and every year. To sum it up Mike Riley, his crew, and Shawn Eichorst need to go ASAP, till that happens buckle up Husker Nation we are in for some hard times.

Big Red till I'm dead

• Fire 9

At first, very little. Then I talked myself into some optimism. Now, less than ever.

I would agree with this. At first I was like, "not a good hire". Then posters on here and other people started to talk me into it a little. "Okay, maybe he's not so bad. Maybe he just needs the resources and some good coaches around him". Then he hired Banker and some other crappy coaches and I was like "Not good, not good". Then posters on here and other people started to talk me into it a little. "Okay, maybe it's not so bad. Maybe they just need these Nebraska resources"..... Then the season started and we lost to Illinois...

• Fire 3

At first, very little. Then I talked myself into some optimism. Now, less than ever.

I would agree with this. At first I was like, "not a good hire". Then posters on here and other people started to talk me into it a little. "Okay, maybe he's not so bad. Maybe he just needs the resources and some good coaches around him". Then he hired Banker and some other crappy coaches and I was like "Not good, not good". Then posters on here and other people started to talk me into it a little. "Okay, maybe it's not so bad. Maybe they just need these Nebraska resources"..... Then the season started and we lost to Illinois...

This a million times this. However the straw that broke my back was the BYU lost. The last 10 mins of that games coaching had old Ferentz all over it. Stop running the offense and try to run out the clock.......................

The loss to IL yesterday is just business as usual for Mike Riley. I am sorry what did everybody expect was going to happen with this program with his hiring? His first year at San Diego he was 8-8 and the next two years he went 1-15 and 5-11. After being fired he went to Oregon St. and out of 14 years he had only 8 winning seasons, last year going only 5-7. Somehow Shawn Eichorst thought if we uproot the guy who can't win anywhere else, spread some pixy dust and unicorn farts around, he is going to make us a powerhouse team again. I have tried to stay positive and overlook his past coaching career and hope for the best. Unfortunately Husker Nation is finding out the hard way that moving this guy and his assistants 1400 miles didn't do a damn thing for his coaching ability. I won't sit here and say that Bo was going to ever advance this program more then what he had, but if you are going to fire him at least replace him with somebody who is not a total failure as a coach. The Cornhusker Athletic Dept. is one of if not the wealthiest in the nation. Why can't we spend the money and get somebody worth a damn who will bring us back to our glory days. I know that did not work out real well in 2004, but we had an athletic director problem then also. By looking at Eichorst's investment in Mike Riley, I'm not too sure we don't have the same problem today. With the money Nebraska has and the right leadership at athletic director, there is no reason why we should't be a top 25 team each and every year. To sum it up Mike Riley, his crew, and Shawn Eichorst need to go ASAP, till that happens buckle up Husker Nation we are in for some hard times.

giphy.gif

• Fire 1

At first I said, " NO PLEASE NOT AGAIN!". I remember him being the first coach I ever hated when he was with the Chargers. Then when I saw him at Oregon St. I thought, good that's a good place for him no expectations. And like others have said I talked myself into giving him a chance, maybe he's grown over the years into a better coach. The fact of the matter is I, and basically everyone here is going to support the program so we all want the best. So seeing Southern Miss come back against us, and then blowing that game against Illinois I realized that keeping this guy around is only going to hurt this program. He's going to lower people's expectations which is something we as Husker fans should never do. We have one of the best fan bases in the entire country, Miami can't fill up half their stadium, we send 20,000 fans to Illinois. There's nothing wrong with remembering the glory days, and what's frustrating is we know it's still possible. We all know with better play calling and the right schemes we have the talent to win a lot of games.

We need a coach who's going to play an aggressive defense, not give the receivers 8 yards to do what they want, get right there in their face and be aggressive with them.

We need a coach who knows how and when to run the ball. A team like Illinois we should be able to pound the ball 50 times and win. I don't care what the score is, you do what you have to do to win. Remember that first game against Washington in 2010? When we ran about 20+ straight run plays in a row and they couldn't do anything about it? That was the last time I truly enjoyed watching our offense (maybe the Miami game last year too). I'm looking back at the stats, we ran the ball 54 times that game for 383 yards. Seeing Langsdorf and Riley talk about how they didn't think the run game was consistent, and Langsdorf even saying "We got almost 200 yards I'd say that's pretty good" tells me these guys are just not the right fit for the job.

Wisconsin have whooped us at our own game these last few years. Their entire program is built on our dominating run game in the past. Now in a weird twist we need to get back to modeling our game on the team that modeled us. Because if we keep going at the rate we're heading, we're not going to be Iowa, we're going to turn into Purdue.

• Fire 2

Yesterday was bad. The way we chucked the ball downfield in the wind and rain is about as easy a way to identify a moron for a coach as you can find. No two ways about it. I support this team and these coaches still, but I won't try to defend things like this. They will move on and things will get better or I won't give two sh#ts if we move on. You don't do what we did yesterday, you just don't. I lost a ton of respect for these guys' careers and resumes'. As a coaching staff, you don't go through the week preparing for a game like that, hearing all about the weather, and carry that game plan and those play calls into the game.

This staff had better learn how to run the ball. We have shown we can do it. We f'ing' hand it off to Newby 40 times against Southern Alabama in some sort of attempt to send a message that we were committing to the run game and showing we could do it. Then we open Big Ten play, in Hurricane winds, and we go Peyton Armstrong mode.

I got to believe Riley is smarter than that, but maybe he's not. I'll tell you this though, Langsdorf doesn't get the benefit of the doubt with me anymore. That is the worst offensive playcalling I've seen maybe ever. No, I'm not over-reacting, I'm not emotional about it and my Sunday is carrying on just fine. Great day for me. I'm just calling it like it is. That looked to me like an offense that was doing everything they could to piss the game away, and I find that pathetic.

• Fire 4

This is a staff, that worked an hour away from the machine in Eugene...For 7 years they got their behinds handed to them and they never seemed to fix the problem. They had one close game against their biggest rival in 7 years. Oregon ran the same thing over and over for those 7 years.....you knew what Oregon was going to do. Riley and this very same staff, never seemed to remotely figure it out.

• Fire 2

Yesterday was bad. The way we chucked the ball downfield in the wind and rain is about as easy a way to identify a moron for a coach as you can find. No two ways about it. I support this team and these coaches still, but I won't try to defend things like this. They will move on and things will get better or I won't give two sh#ts if we move on. You don't do what we did yesterday, you just don't. I lost a ton of respect for these guys' careers and resumes'. As a coaching staff, you don't go through the week preparing for a game like that, hearing all about the weather, and carry that game plan and those play calls into the game.

This staff had better learn how to run the ball. We have shown we can do it. We f'ing' hand it off to Newby 40 times against Southern Alabama in some sort of attempt to send a message that we were committing to the run game and showing we could do it. Then we open Big Ten play, in Hurricane winds, and we go Peyton Armstrong mode.

I got to believe Riley is smarter than that, but maybe he's not. I'll tell you this though, Langsdorf doesn't get the benefit of the doubt with me anymore. That is the worst offensive playcalling I've seen maybe ever. No, I'm not over-reacting, I'm not emotional about it and my Sunday is carrying on just fine. Great day for me. I'm just calling it like it is. That looked to me like an offense that was doing everything they could to piss the game away, and I find that pathetic.

Well said True. Took the kids to Disney and had a good day. Maybe the fact that I'm not really even upset like I used to get is apathy setting in. And that's the scary part.

• Fire 1

I expected a small step back this year but nothing worse than 7-5 then after a couple of seasons we would be 9-4/10-3 and our coach wouldn't be a giant a-hole. Certainly not a homerun hire but it wouldn't move the program in the wrong direction. We're not going to be bowl eligible this year while this team absolutely has enough talent for 6 wins.

The crazy thing....we're three plays away from being the worst undefeated team in the country at 5-0.