Commitment

RADAR

Taken from another board, but I could not have said it better myself. The choice of "commitment" for your post really started me thinking about the word and what it means in a football context. We have recruits committed to play for UNL. Coaches and fans rely on the recruit sticking with his "commitment". When a recruit decommits we (fans) are outraged. I'm sure the coaches feel some outrage but more disappointment that they have to go recruit a replacement.

As fans, we ask that the coaches and players have commitment to playing well, representing our school well and winning. When we suspect they are not, we are outraged.

The team (staff included) needs as strong a commitment from the fans for support as either of the other commitment scenarios. Judging from what I am reading here and elsewhere, our fan base doesn't have the commitment to remain supportive of a program through this staff's first five games, much less a full season or the 4-5 years required to really evaluate a hire.

• Fire 5

So we're supposed to commit to mediocrity? This isn't one of the scenarios where our famed HC just retired and we hired a new HC and we have to give him time. We've had four head coaches in less than 20 years. The Husker fan base has been dealing with this sh#t pile for 15+ years. I'm committed to the program but I don't have to be committed to the staff.

• Fire 3

Being committed to the coaching staff is being committed to the program. You can't have one without the other. Sorry, either your 100% in support or not not.

Not necessarily. I can commit to cheering for the team. Celebrating their successes and lamenting their failures. But I don't have to support the coaching staff. It's true because I did that during the Callahan debacle.

It doesn't take 4-5 years, so we can stop with that fallacy. Coaches who finished in the top 25 last year matched or beat their predecessors record around 85% of the time.

With the same players? Against the same teams with those same players? I think we've found today's meaningless statistic. As it stands, the current time period that it takes to truly evaluate a hire is 3 years. That's enough time to get your players in your system. If we still see these same problems in Year 3, then it'd be time to move on.

For fun--and a little history lesson, take a look at Brian Kelly's time at Notre Dame.

• Fire 2

I am always committed to the team and the program. I don't have to stay committed to a coach and staff who have shown nothing but poor decisions and incompetence.

So, instead you're going to "support" the team by bitching about every single thing!? Man, I can feel your support for Big Red all the way over here!

Jim McElwain....not taking him 4-5 years at Florida.

Urban Meyer....didn't take him 4-5 years at Ohio State.

Obviously isn't taking Jim Harbaugh long at Michigan....

I mean, Nebraska is one of those blue blood programs. It's time to quit giving the excuse that NU doesn't recruit...blah blah blah, hot beds, blah blah blah....

This staff SUCKS. 2-3? Loss to a 2 loss BYU, loss to Illinois, and a loss to freaking Miami team that we made look like a top 10 team, and they turn around and get beat by Cincy? By more than one possession?

Commitment? How bout the commitment the head effin coach gives the fans by not being a dipwad in playcalling.

Here is another thing that pisses me off. Coaches like MR and his staff are digging they're own grave. Coaches at that level know offense, and it doesn't matter what offense they run, they should know it and it's concepts and should be able to apply ANY offense they want. Yet, they still, despite what the fans WANT, what a legend said they need, run something that makes us pass 30-40 times a game.

Cool, thanks MR....

• Fire 2

We have plenty of evidence to accurately judge Riley and staff. We certainly don't need 4-5 more years of this nonsense.

Really?? 5 games in with no chance to replenish the team with better talent. We have identified one cancer on the team in Lewis, is McMullen another? Locker room chemistry is very important and is the 408 holdovers are undermining the team, There is no fixing it until Riley can get rid of them.

Jim McElwain....not taking him 4-5 years at Florida.

Urban Meyer....didn't take him 4-5 years at Ohio State.

I mean, Nebraska is one of those blue blood programs. It's time to quit giving the excuse that NU doesn't recruit...blah blah blah, hot beds, blah blah blah....

This staff SUCKS. 2-3? Loss to a 2 loss BYU, loss to Illinois, and a loss to freaking Miami team that we made look like a top 10 team, and they turn around and get beat by Cincy? By more than one possession?

Commitment? How bout the commitment the head effin coach gives the fans by not being a dipwad in playcalling.

Here is another thing that pisses me off. Coaches like MR and his staff are digging they're own grave. Coaches at that level know offense, and it doesn't matter what offense they run, they should know it and it's concepts and should be able to apply ANY offense they want. Yet, they still, despite what the fans WANT, what a legend said they need, run something that makes us pass 30-40 times a game.

Cool, thanks MR....

What happened to you?