Commitment

RADAR

You act like the coaches spend unlimited time with these kids. This isn't the NFL bro. They are limited in every way and are just coming out of the starting blocks. They can barely decide who should do what and when let alone you expect them to be able to communicate with perfection game management. A child like expectation. Give it time.

excuse-definition.png

• Fire 2

Once you take a coaching change out of the options, one can begin to make productive criticisms and stop sounding like a child. Children go straight to firing the coaches. Do you go straight to firing someone? Well.. Then you're a child.

I don't go straight to firing when I evaluate Riley. That's second. First, I go to "never should have been hired in the first place".

Once again, another child like statement. Im just saying. The original poster is right. Commit to the team and stop with the belly aching. We arnt firing anyone this year and unfortunately Riley was hired. Less childish statements would make for a better hiskerboard.

I guess we're even since I think you're the one with the childlike attitude. I understand, you don't want to hear any bad words or fighting words. Eat your cookie and take a nap.

You act like the coaches spend unlimited time with these kids. This isn't the NFL bro. They are limited in every way and are just coming out of the starting blocks. They can barely decide who should do what and when let alone you expect them to be able to communicate with perfection game management. A child like expectation. Give it time.

I don't think it takes unlimited time with the kids to realize 10/31 passing is pretty terrible, and to call a simple run play on 3rd down with less than a minute left and the other team having no timeouts. But what do we know we have child like expectations

I don't think it takes unlimited time with the kids to realize 10/31 passing is pretty terrible, and to call a simple run play on 3rd down with less than a minute left and the other team having no timeouts. But what do we know we have child like expectations

And maybe even more bewildering, we had three timeouts and went off half-cocked with a non-passing pass play called without using one of them. Take the timeout as the play clock runs to :01 and talk about it! Same thing that happened in the Southern Miss game on our last FG. Just mind numbing.

• Fire 1

Jim McElwain....not taking him 4-5 years at Florida.

Urban Meyer....didn't take him 4-5 years at Ohio State.

Obviously isn't taking Jim Harbaugh long at Michigan....

I mean, Nebraska is one of those blue blood programs. It's time to quit giving the excuse that NU doesn't recruit...blah blah blah, hot beds, blah blah blah....

This staff SUCKS. 2-3? Loss to a 2 loss BYU, loss to Illinois, and a loss to freaking Miami team that we made look like a top 10 team, and they turn around and get beat by Cincy? By more than one possession?

Commitment? How bout the commitment the head effin coach gives the fans by not being a dipwad in playcalling.

Here is another thing that pisses me off. Coaches like MR and his staff are digging they're own grave. Coaches at that level know offense, and it doesn't matter what offense they run, they should know it and it's concepts and should be able to apply ANY offense they want. Yet, they still, despite what the fans WANT, what a legend said they need, run something that makes us pass 30-40 times a game.

Cool, thanks MR....

Excellent post and exactly how I am feeling right now as well.

We have plenty of evidence to accurately judge Riley and staff. We certainly don't need 4-5 more years of this nonsense.

Really?? 5 games in with no chance to replenish the team with better talent. We have identified one cancer on the team in Lewis, is McMullen another? Locker room chemistry is very important and is the 408 holdovers are undermining the team, There is no fixing it until Riley can get rid of them.

Five games in for me is plenty of time, I have seen us lose to BYU and Illinois from simple coaching mistakes and then add in the other loss to Miami, I have seen enough. Give Riley the best players in the world and we will still see these same coaching errors, that won't change and his record at OSU is reflective of this as well. Going to be a long 2-3 years:(

Do some of you actually think a light is going to suddenly come on after 40 years of coaching and Riley is going to say, "Oh! Now I understand what they mean by clock management!"

He is what he is. He's a .500 coach. Exactly. He's currently 149-149 lifetime as a head coach. He's not a leopard who can change his spots or a dog capabale of learning new tricks. He's the epitome of mediocrity.

So we should sit back quietly and watch his mediocrity unfold before our eyes for the next 4 years?

• Fire 1

All of you people want to wait three or four years to figure this guy out, look at his last 17 years the head coach. I'm sorry but the man has been nothing but a dismal failure his whole head coaching career. How anybody thinks after the play calling skills in the last five games we will eventually see better results from this so-called experienced coach is soft in the head. The only experience this guy has is losing, and till Nebraska gets rid of him and Eikhorst we should just get used to losing.

As fans, we ask that the coaches and players have commitment to playing well, representing our school well and winning. When we suspect they are not, we are outraged.

The team (staff included) needs as strong a commitment from the fans for support as either of the other commitment scenarios. Judging from what I am reading here and elsewhere, our fan base doesn't have the commitment to remain supportive of a program through this staff's first five games, much less a full season or the 4-5 years required to really evaluate a hire.

You've got it all WRONG about commitment and why we fans commit time, emotion and sometimes money to a football program.

For me, when NU hired Mike Riley (and the staff), there was an understanding that we would go back to Nebraska Ball. More running, usually from simple I formations, with a FULLBACK and I-Back. Our climate really demands it now that it's gotten WINDY and COLD. As well as playing far better defense than we are right now, to the point of NOT being last in the country in pass defense. At this point, being better than 50% would be a marked improvement. Yes, there are injuries, but there is an issue of TECHNIQUE as well. Watch how the DBs just go through the motions of jamming opposing WRs, and watch their "footwork", they run flat-footed instead of backpedaling on their toes. And that's one of the issues off the top of my head.

If you think we fans are non-commitive because of what we see through five games, you are right. I don't want to go back to the Callahan days of using the Pass to set up the Run and playing horrid defense. If you are cool with that "process" path then all the more to you, but I won't follow our beloved Huskers if they are gonna continue losing their traditional identity and become West Coast Nebraska. Langsdorf, and by extension, Riley have shown they understand NOTHING about Nebraska, even with all the good "talks" he supposedly had with Osborne, Tenopir and others last spring. I think the Omaha paper even talked about this, how Osborne told Riley he needed to understand have a strong running game for our climate in late fall, early winter. In one ear, out the other, I guess?

Lastly, as a fan, my only commitment is to the players. They signed to play here and have tried to represent us to the BEST OF THEIR ABILITIES, and for the most part have done a good job with a few obvious exceptions (Alex Lewis). I feel the worst for them, going through the CAPT BLOWUP (Pelini) Era and now stuck with a whole new staff and a West Coast Nebraska mentality (Pass-Run Offense, soft Defense). I think they are holding up as well as young men can in their position. I doubt I would act much better when I was as young.

I'm Out.

• Fire 2

Do some of you actually think a light is going to suddenly come on after 40 years of coaching and Riley is going to say, "Oh! Now I understand what they mean by clock management!"

He is what he is. He's a .500 coach. Exactly. He's currently 149-149 lifetime as a head coach. He's not a leopard who can change his spots or a dog capabale of learning new tricks. He's the epitome of mediocrity.

So we should sit back quietly and watch his mediocrity unfold before our eyes for the next 4 years?

Maybe these aren't games that matter.

If anyone can find the rock that Eichorst is hiding under, maybe they can ask him if these are games that matter.

Jim McElwain....not taking him 4-5 years at Florida.

Urban Meyer....didn't take him 4-5 years at Ohio State.

Obviously isn't taking Jim Harbaugh long at Michigan....

I mean, Nebraska is one of those blue blood programs. It's time to quit giving the excuse that NU doesn't recruit...blah blah blah, hot beds, blah blah blah....

This staff SUCKS. 2-3? Loss to a 2 loss BYU, loss to Illinois, and a loss to freaking Miami team that we made look like a top 10 team, and they turn around and get beat by Cincy? By more than one possession?

Commitment? How bout the commitment the head effin coach gives the fans by not being a dipwad in playcalling.

Here is another thing that pisses me off. Coaches like MR and his staff are digging they're own grave. Coaches at that level know offense, and it doesn't matter what offense they run, they should know it and it's concepts and should be able to apply ANY offense they want. Yet, they still, despite what the fans WANT, what a legend said they need, run something that makes us pass 30-40 times a game.

Cool, thanks MR....

Couldn't have said it better........

As it stands, the current time period that it takes to truly evaluate a hire is 3 years. That's enough time to get your players in your system. If we still see these same problems in Year 3, then it'd be time to move on.

Ain't gonna happen and shouldn't happen. There are too many examples now of coaches coming in a being successful right away. And Nebraska should be at the top of that list since we now have a track record the past decade of firing .700 coaches and replacing them with .500 coaches. We thought Pelini made us a laughing stock.......we are now seeing the true meaning of laughing stock. This Riley experiment is an absolute massive failure in every context of the word.

The original poster is right. Commit to the team and stop with the belly aching.

I'm committed to having the best possible coaching staff in place for this team. Aren't you?

We can salvage Riley and his staff...well, maybe not Banker...but he's going to have to start listening to people who know more about winning football than him.

Once you take a coaching change out of the options, one can begin to make productive criticisms and stop sounding like a child. Children go straight to firing the coaches. Do you go straight to firing someone? Well.. Then you're a child.

I don't go straight to firing when I evaluate Riley. That's second. First, I go to "never should have been hired in the first place".

^100% agree.

Commitment to the school, team, and program doesn't mean blind faith.

I am a proud alumni of UNL, and will always support the team, and cheer them on to victory. If I lived in Nebraska, I would probably go to a number of games each season. I can be supportive of the team, and be critical of the coaching staff at the same time.

I don't think I am being overly critical. The coaches have been in place for 5 games and the results are 3 losses to pretty average teams. One of the wins was a lackluster win. It hasn't been fun to watch these games.