Chatelain: Pin this loss squarely on Mike Riley and Danny Langsdorf

Redux

Even so, it's easy to evaluate this after the fact. Who knew that Illinois would march 73 yards down the field and score after a full 59 minutes without a decent touchdown drive?

After we failed the 4th down conversion, I told my wife we'd lose. I wasn't surprised at all.

When Illinois was at midfield at the start of the 4th quarter, I texted teach "Would you be shocked if NU lost this game 14-13." His reply, "Nope!!! Ha".

This game reminds me so much of 2004 ISU. A coaching staff trying to force the pass when it's obvious that the run can win the game. I just absolutely don't understand why coaching staffs do that. It totally baffles my mind. We have RBs gaining good yardage on a day when it is going to be extremely difficult to pass the ball because of the weather. And, I'm saying that not based on the 3rd and 7 that everyone wants to talk about. This is a game plan issue the entire game.

Hopefully the staff had those same questions on themselves yesterday.

It's like a drug. Listen to Riley's disjointed explanation from the postgame presser. There were a few long pass plays that were close to working. He waxed poetic about the very first pass play being "playable" and how it wasn't impossible to do better than they did on long passes.

It's like someone trying to get rich by buying lottery tickets instead of working hard and investing. Riley and Langsdorf saw the big jackpot out there and kept buying lottery tickets using all the losing tickets they bought as proof that they were bound to hit the jackpot soon.

• Fire 1

Even so, it's easy to evaluate this after the fact. Who knew that Illinois would march 73 yards down the field and score after a full 59 minutes without a decent touchdown drive?

After we failed the 4th down conversion, I told my wife we'd lose. I wasn't surprised at all.

I'm with ya, I had a few Iowa fans over watching the game with me. They were baffled with the decision there as well. It was a basic football decision, we could all see it, but the coaching staff just wouldn't run the ball. The conditions and the way the team was playing basically forced their hands to run the ball and they still didn't do it. SMH

I completely expected it too. Told my wife the same too. A buddy texted me before 4th down with this:

13-14

It was so damn obvious to everyone, just absolutely mond boggling.

Oh, I felt that way too. I know the defense had to feel here we go again. They don't get a pass on the last series, they played it terribly on the long pass play. Nate Gerry has played pretty poorly so far this year. But with that said if you said that Illinois scores 14 in the game before the game I say we we definitely win the game. The defense played pretty well most the game.

This game reminds me so much of 2004 ISU. A coaching staff trying to force the pass when it's obvious that the run can win the game. I just absolutely don't understand why coaching staffs do that. It totally baffles my mind. We have RBs gaining good yardage on a day when it is going to be extremely difficult to pass the ball because of the weather. And, I'm saying that not based on the 3rd and 7 that everyone wants to talk about. This is a game plan issue the entire game.

It's like a drug. Listen to Riley's disjointed explanation from the postgame presser. There were a few long pass plays that were close to working. He waxed poetic about the very first pass play being "playable" and how it wasn't impossible to do better than they did on long passes.

It's like someone trying to get rich by buying lottery tickets instead of working hard and investing. Riley and Langsdorf saw the big jackpot out there and kept buying lottery tickets using all the losing tickets they bought as proof that they were bound to hit the jackpot soon.

I know it won't happen, and I'll qualify my next comment that I was one of the few actually excited about this coaching hire, but sadly, much like BC, this staff doesn't get it, and should be let go. The post game comments Redneck mentions tells me all I need to know about the current staff. They're going to throw the ball, throw the ball, and throw the ball some more regardless of weather, personnel, or game flow. I'm stunned that even after we've seen the result this staff still believes they managed this game appropriately. This staff has way too much experience to now expect them to change their stripes. I can admit I was wrong about this hire, I hope Eichorst can too.

(No "step back from the ledge" comments necessary. I know he's not going to be fired after 5 games.)

I honestly have really liked Lang's play calling up till this game. What is really baffling is that they have become much more creative in the run game than I had ever thought they would. This was a perfect game to ride that creativity in the run game and just win the game.

• Fire 1

Yeah listening to him talk about the pass plays that were close to working had me thinking if he was even at the right game. Sure we had a couple drops, but the majority of those passes were not even close to being completed

I know it won't happen, and I'll qualify my next comment that I was one of the few actually excited about this coaching hire, but sadly, much like BC, this staff doesn't get it, and should be let go. The post game comments Redneck mentions tells me all I need to know about the current staff. They're going to throw the ball, throw the ball, and throw the ball some more regardless of weather, personnel, or game flow. I'm stunned that even after we've seen the result this staff still believes they managed this game appropriately. This staff has way too much experience to now expect them to change their stripes. I can admit I was wrong about this hire, I hope Eichorst can too.

(No "step back from the ledge" comments necessary. I know he's not going to be fired after 5 games.)

I'm not to that point yet. I still see some good things in the program that can be built on. I'm just disappointed. This game did not have to be a loss.

I'm not to that point yet. I still see some good things in the program that can be built on. I'm just disappointed. This game did not have to be a loss.

I think that's what has most people frustrated. Stop losing games. The way Illinois was playing offense, NU should have been ahead by 3 scores after the 3rd quarter. The game plan when the team was going with the wind was just terrible. Then the pass at 55 seconds left (regardless who's fault it was) is just plain dumb. If that play is a run, there is virtually no chance NU loses that game.

• Fire 1

Yeah listening to him talk about the pass plays that were close to working had me thinking if he was even at the right game. Sure we had a couple drops, but the majority of those passes were not even close to being completed

yeah, it pissed me off when he defended the play calling for long passes, saying we could have done better, that's just bullsh#t, they were the wrong calls......admit your mistaken strategy like a man and move on...

when he didn't do that i lost a lot of respect for him.

yeah, it pissed me off when he defended the play calling for long passes, saying we could have done better, that's just bullsh#t, they were the wrong calls......admit your mistaken strategy like a man and move on...

when he didn't do that i lost a lot of respect for him.

That's why I made my thread about the offense being Callahan 2.0. These guys think they are so smart and have all the answers, and think that the game plan was correct no matter what. BC said the exact same stuff after the iSU loss in 2004. Maybe Riley and Langsdorf didn't have to deal with sophisticated football minds at Oregon State, but NU fans are different. We know what good and smart football looks like. The football played on Saturday was not good and it wasn't smart.

• Fire 1

I also thought we would lose, after that throw was missed.

Langsforf has to stop acting like he is still with the Giants and that Tommy is not Eli.

Reading Riley's comment on talking to TO and chuckling , about having to pass to much, could cause problems. Tells me all I need to know what this staff intends to do with the offense. We have the rb's to move the chains. Don't think we have the coaches, that want that.

Lucky to win three more games this season. This is still Nebraska, I will watch and root just as I always have.

GBR!!!