Illinois Trip

So me and 5 friends get into Illinois around 5pm, after stopping at a sweet BBQ joint along the way.

We check in and hit the town.

Friday night we hit up, Legends, Murphey's, KAMS and Firehaus...Lots of NU fans and not a huge sense of excitement for the game. The Illini fans were fantastic.

KAMS is awesome! Super dive, cheap drinks and a smell that will make you sick! Also the floor was super sticky.

Saturday we ended up at Joe's Bar...the location is amazing, 10 feet away is a huge frat house, can't remember which one but basically it would be a college students dream! The place was pretty packed and rocking with fans.

We hit up some tailgating spots at the Grange Grove...right in front of the stadium. Get this...you grab your spot the night before and THEY watch it for you. It opens at 7am the day of the game and get this...IT IS FREE! So I saw some dudes with a keg and went up to them, they said they did not even know if they could bring kegs into the spot but they had a two wheel dolly and brought it from their frat house that was just a block away! That's right...frat houses right by the stadium AND you can bring in kegs! So they let us drink with them...it was a blast!

We grabbed tickets on stubhub, 7 rows up from the sideline (30 dollars) and went into the game. It was so freaking windy the entire time and rained a bit as the game went on.

I still rank the bar scene in Lincoln as 1...but now my list goes

Lincoln

Illinois

Wisconsin

Northwestern

Minny

The fans were great...one guy when we were walking out said "Man, that kind of stuff usually happens to us" he was an Illini fan.

• Fire 4

Didn't know you were there, Teach. Or I would've stopped by to say 'hi'. Walked right past Grange Grove on our way into the stadium. I did meet up with LOMS and Tood at a tailgate spot near our parking lot. :lol:

Yeah...but did you hit the over?

My morning bets were on fire! Hit about everything and a parlay...my afternoon bets were HORRIBLE...lost about everything I bet!

Haha...check out my status update from 10-3 ;)

I could not find it...but I am guessing WAY UNDER! haha

"Over/Under that Teach will be called "creep" by Illini coeds by the end of the day. Conservatively setting the number at 11.5"

I keed, I keed!!!

Yeah...but did you hit the over?

My morning bets were on fire! Hit about everything and a parlay...my afternoon bets were HORRIBLE...lost about everything I bet!

Haha...check out my status update from 10-3 ;)

I could not find it...but I am guessing WAY UNDER! haha

"Over/Under that Teach will be called "creep" by Illini coeds by the end of the day. Conservatively setting the number at 11.5"

I keed, I keed!!!

Ha! Oh that? OVER!!!!

• Fire 1

Didn't know you were there, Teach. Or I would've stopped by to say 'hi'. Walked right past Grange Grove on our way into the stadium. I did meet up with LOMS and Tood at a tailgate spot near our parking lot. :lol:

who has the picture on their phone?

I do

Not even factoring in the outcome of the game, I have to say this was the most disappointing atmospheres I've experienced. We didn't do the bar scene, but we walked around the lots for a while and there was just no excitement. Not one Illinois fan said anything to us before the game. I usually expect a little bit of trash talk on the road, but they just seemed to be indifferent. I am not exaggerating when I say the pregame for the Spring Game has more intensity. It even seemed to subdue the Nebraska fans around the stadium. It was just quiet everywhere.

The game experience wasn't much better. It probably had something to do with how bad both teams were performing, but it was still close the whole game and it never got loud until they scored at the end. The best part was the Go Big Red chant after they played our fight song and that even impressed the U of I fans around us since it was loud enough to have the echo effect in the stadium. But that was as loud as we got all game. I think alot of it was because the crowd was dispersed throughout the stadium. We were so intermingled with the Illini fans that you couldn't really build off of each other. It almost seemed to be rude to make any noise. Even the true visitor section had quite a bit of orange in it. It was just hard to get any chants or noise going. They had a nice big section for their students in the open end of the horse shoe, but it was only a third full, so it looked pretty weak. They did some cool things with colored cards at half time, but I wasn't sure what half of it was supposed to be. I have to say the best part of the entire day was watching our marching band.

Luckily the post game was about the same. I only had one guy yell "2-3" at me as he walked past me as we were leaving the stadium. There were a few "ILL-INI" chants, but nothing like you would expect for a last second win like they had. It just seemed like everyone was just waiting for the game to end so they could go home and it was just a perk that they were able to win the game. My experiences at KU were significantly better than this and I thought that was the worst of the Big 12.

Illinois fans are pretty snakebit and have some internalized disbelief in their team, as evidenced by how many people left the game before the 4th quarter started. "Where are you going? You're only one score down" I asked a couple in front of us. "Oh we know better than that by now." he said.

Never been and no desire to go. Just seems like glorified MAC experience in a crap stadium. Just seems like UI doesn't want to make any investment in coaching facilities etc and want to suck off the B1G teat. I am sure they will go cheap on their next coaching hire.

Never been and no desire to go. Just seems like glorified MAC experience in a crap stadium. Just seems like UI doesn't want to make any investment in coaching facilities etc and want to suck off the B1G teat. I am sure they will go cheap on their next coaching hire.

Uhh, what? are we now sucking off that same teat?????