So why did we hire Mike Riley?

Nine wins is all i hear about pelini. but did he have any signature wins? yes he won the expected games but to win the signature wins takes coaching. in those losses he was out coached. with pelini we were not going to see anymore improvement. you were not going to see any big 10 championships and definitely not a national title. and yes the embarassment of his sideline antics. Do we so soon forget his remarks after he was no longer here? Solich was let go for reasons other then coaching performance which was the reason for his short tenure. Callahan was let go for coaching performance after 5 years?. Pelini was let go for a little of both after 5 years. Mike Riley is owed 3 - 5 years before we should make a decision as to performance. Until then lets support him. there are good things happening if we can see past this temporary win/loss ratio.

BINGO! We have a winner! Very well stated and agree. let's relax for a bit and take a deep breath. At least this set of coaches can talk with the media after a tough loss and not have a "pissin fit" and think the world should bow to him!

• Fire 1

Pelini started 2008 with a 3-3 record, he didn't start with 9 wins in the first 5 games.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that you know that is mathematically impossible.

Take it up with your confederates who are crying about Riley failing where Pelini "succeeded" with #9wins.

Riley at OSU beat #7 Arizona State last year.

Cool story, brah. He put a few guys into the NFL, too.

How many championships did that get him?

The exact same number as Pelini.

• Fire 1

Nine wins is all i hear about pelini. but did he have any signature wins? yes he won the expected games but to win the signature wins takes coaching. in those losses he was out coached. with pelini we were not going to see anymore improvement. you were not going to see any big 10 championships and definitely not a national title. and yes the embarassment of his sideline antics. Do we so soon forget his remarks after he was no longer here? Solich was let go for reasons other then coaching performance which was the reason for his short tenure. Callahan was let go for coaching performance after 5 years?. Pelini was let go for a little of both after 5 years. Mike Riley is owed 3 - 5 years before we should make a decision as to performance. Until then lets support him. there are good things happening if we can see past this temporary win/loss ratio.

BINGO! We have a winner! Very well stated and agree. let's relax for a bit and take a deep breath. At least this set of coaches can talk with the media after a tough loss and not have a "pissin fit" and think the world should bow to him!

f'ing A . lets all get used to going 6-6 or 7-5 for the next 3 years!

To understand why Riley was hired, you have to understand why Pelini was fired. Pelini had a mammoth temper, he rubbed fans/media (and likely his boss) the wrong way, he showed little progression year-to-year, had no prior head coaching experience, his teams routinely suffered massive blowouts over the latter half of his tenure and you could sincerely argue his teams had plateaued.

Now, that's the umbrella picture. Enter Mike Riley, who has a ton of previous head-coaching experience, his personality is polar opposite of Pelini and had a reputation for developing talent.

The reality is Riley was an image hire with a lot of potential, and most notably, his experience as a head coach was supposed to help the team avoid some of the big let downs that haunted Pelini. So far, that experience has not translated to the field consistently.

I'm nowhere near the realm of giving up on Riley but I think I'm a lot more patient than most fans. I don't think all coaches or situations are created equal and it very well could take a season or two for this staff and team to reach their potential.

• Fire 1

Maybe because, unlike the last three Head Coaches at Nebraska, Riley was someone who actually ran a college football program before. Plus he had experience. He probably was on a short list of recommendations by many. This program and fan base was out of control by the end of November. And it's possible that there are a lot of coaches that are just too scared to come to Lincoln, try their best, and fail. Riley was not one to back down from this enormous challenge.

He's not a bad hire IMO. I don't have a lot of emotion saying that. I am being level headed here. It's been 5 games. 3 Losses by 8 points. That stings. But IMO that doesn't warrant emotional fits and outburst and Fire Riley threads. Even the consistent jabs throughout so many threads are getting old.

This is our team. He's our coach. Wisconsin is up next. Go Big Red

The only short list Riley was on belonged to Pederhorst and Perly. And it was a really, really, really short list.

To understand why Riley was hired, you have to understand why Pelini was fired. Pelini had a mammoth temper, he rubbed fans/media (and likely his boss) the wrong way, he showed little progression year-to-year, had no prior head coaching experience, his teams routinely suffered massive blowouts over the latter half of his tenure and you could sincerely argue his teams had plateaued.

Now, that's the umbrella picture. Enter Mike Riley, who has a ton of previous head-coaching experience, his personality is polar opposite of Pelini and had a reputation for developing talent.

The reality is Riley was an image hire with a lot of potential, and most notably, his experience as a head coach was supposed to help the team avoid some of the big let downs that haunted Pelini. So far, that experience has not translated to the field consistently.

I'm nowhere near the realm of giving up on Riley but I think I'm a lot more patient than most fans. I don't think all coaches or situations are created equal and it very well could take a season or two for this staff and team to reach their potential.

Riley was an image hire, he has no big time credentials, period. He was thrilled to get a big time job on the verge of his retirement.............that's f'd up!

He was hired because he's got a relatively clean track record, is a nice guy, and was "safe"...

They wanted to hire the "Anti Bo"

When they hired him, they overlooked the fact he's an asshair over .500 and is signature bowl win is the "Sun"...

His previous track record at much lower tier schools shouldn't be used heavily against him, imho. Saban was an ass hair over .500 at Michigan St. before bailing for LSU. Not saying they're the same guy, obviously. But, a lot of very successful coaches at major division one programs weren't exactly stellar at their other head coaching jobs.

• Fire 1

The exact same number as Pelini.

Now that you cleared up that riddle, why did we hire Mike Riley?

Probably because he was the best available coach willing to take the job, and his demeanor and respect within football circles is what Nebraska needed to repair its brand after the Pelini debacle.