Oct. 6th Practice Report (OWH)

zoogs

Here is a list of Janovich's carries prior to the last series for NU.

1st Q - 1st & 10 -- gain of 2

2nd Q - 1st & 10 -- gain of 4

3rd Q - 1st & 10 -- gain of 7

4th Q - 1st & 10 -- gain of 4

4th Q - 1st & 10 -- loss of 4

I would consider a first down carry of at least 4 yards a success. That keeps the offense in manageable situations. Janovich failed the 1st time, was successful 3 straight times, and then failed the last time. Who knows if the failures were "his fault" or if Illinois blew up the O-line. I would argue that even the last carry (where he lost 4 yards) was warranted after 3 straight solid first down carries.

Moneyball, you want the ball to go to our backs who have breakaway speed and can find holes? Have you watched the Huskers play this year? Those RB's don't exist. Newby has a terrible time finding a hole and reaching top speed. Ozigbo might be that guy to do that, but I don't know if he has the breakaway speed you want.

I think we all want Langsdorf and Riley to run the ball more in general. At this point in the season, Newby, Janovich, and Ozigbo are the 3 RB's who will get the most carries going forward.

At this point and time I would stop thinking of Jano as a fullback and start thinking of him as a just a RB. He will still play a lot of FB/HB stuff, but don't be surprised to see him line up and get a carry out of a single back set. Think Iowa with Mark Wiesman last year or that red headed guy that PSU had running for them for the last couple of years. His name started with a Z. Nothing fancy, but they pick up yards.

• Fire 1

Here is a list of Janovich's carries prior to the last series for NU.

1st Q - 1st & 10 -- gain of 2

2nd Q - 1st & 10 -- gain of 4

3rd Q - 1st & 10 -- gain of 7

4th Q - 1st & 10 -- gain of 4

4th Q - 1st & 10 -- loss of 4

I would consider a first down carry of at least 4 yards a success. That keeps the offense in manageable situations. Janovich failed the 1st time, was successful 3 straight times, and then failed the last time. Who knows if the failures were "his fault" or if Illinois blew up the O-line. I would argue that even the last carry (where he lost 4 yards) was warranted after 3 straight solid first down carries.

Moneyball, you want the ball to go to our backs who have breakaway speed and can find holes? Have you watched the Huskers play this year? Those RB's don't exist. Newby has a terrible time finding a hole and reaching top speed. Ozigbo might be that guy to do that, but I don't know if he has the breakaway speed you want.

I think we all want Langsdorf and Riley to run the ball more in general. At this point in the season, Newby, Janovich, and Ozigbo are the 3 RB's who will get the most carries going forward.

At this point and time I would stop thinking of Jano as a fullback and start thinking of him as a just a RB. He will still play a lot of FB/HB stuff, but don't be surprised to see him line up and get a carry out of a single back set. Think Iowa with Mark Wiesman last year or that red headed guy that PSU had running for them for the last couple of years. His name started with a Z. Nothing fancy, but they pick up yards.

I agree. I think in normal game situations, Janovich is worth playing some fullback/H-back and some single back sets.

I liked the "loaded pistol" set with TA in the pistol set, Ozigbo at the I-back, and Janovich as the offset fullback/H-back. That gives Ozigbo a lead blocker on outside runs, and still allows for some fullback trap action with Janovich.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/practice-report-oct-nu-settling-into-a-three-back-rotation/article_93181016-6c80-11e5-b9a4-7322355597b8.html

It was Janovich and Ozigbo who were on the field for Nebraska's second-to-last possession, when the Huskers were trying to run out the clock. Said Langsdorf: "Those two, and mix it up with Terrell on some situations I think (it's) a good mix."

>> More Ozigbo, dishing on Wisconsin, Illinois deep ball retrospective, and DPE plans (don't expect too much right away).

from the video linK:

Langsdorf on being pass-heavy:

I think not being one-dimensional is important. And we don't want to be pass-heavy. We probably have gotten that way at some times, but I think you've seen when we've been balanced and had good production on runs AND passes we've moved pretty well. So I think we have to be multi-dimensional, but also get that run going earlier, and stay with it more.

Langsdorf on deep passing:

Two drops on deep balls that were catchable. I think there was one in particular with Westy that popped wide open that was kind of a line-drive throw that gave us some problem, but I think it was the same direction we went when we hit the 55-yarder to Cethan. So, I think the deep throws that we had were catchable. Two of em were for sure. The first play of the game was one of them. I think that's where, ... I think earlier in the game, probably the inconsistency, and not really finding our niche until late, chased us out of it (running the ball) a little bit, early. But (we) definitely have to be a physical running team, and do that more often and earlier.

• Fire 1

So we're supposed to feel better that we really SHOULD have completed 25% of those throws instead of the 12.5% that we did complete.

I take back everything I've said.

Exactly. I hate when coaches say this. You SHOULD have completed those, but you didn't. You weren't completing 70% of your passes that day, so you SHOULD have run the ball more.

Devine Ozibgo - 2015's Brandon Jackson.

Haven't gone back and watched the game again because it would prolly pain me too much, but did he have the burst that Jackson did? I know he had the long run for a TD and another in the 4th I guess I was celebrating too much to really pay attention

He had a nice burst, but more importantly he was decisive and didn't hesitate. Both he and Janovich do that. Newby and Cross don't. Cross takes too much time to get going and has crappy balance and vision. Newby is indecisive and dances too much. He is always looking for the big run. Big runs come from doing the stuff that is important to get the 5 yard run. Newby is a third down back.

Nick Chubs commented on his and Bama's Henry. Said they are both alike. Basically, I get the ball, plant my foot and go....... Something that sets DPE apart as a PR and that separated Oz from the rest of the RB's IMO.

I think not being one-dimensional is important. And we don't want to be pass-heavy. We probably have gotten that way at some times, but I think you've seen when we've been balanced and had good production on runs AND passes we've moved pretty well. So I think we have to be multi-dimensional, but also get that run going earlier, and stay with it more.

Langsdorf on deep passing:

Two drops on deep balls that were catchable. I think there was one in particular with Westy that popped wide open that was kind of a line-drive throw that gave us some problem, but I think it was the same direction we went when we hit the 55-yarder to Cethan. So, I think the deep throws that we had were catchable. Two of em were for sure. The first play of the game was one of them. I think that's where, ... I think earlier in the game, probably the inconsistency, and not really finding our niche until late, chased us out of it (running the ball) a little bit, early. But (we) definitely have to be a physical running team, and do that more often and earlier.

5cf0a238880cf93e6eea80adb9ac07e3.jpg\

Goodness, and he compliments the Cethan Carter play? Maybe it's because he was on the sidelines and not the booth, but that pass was a prayer and should have been picked off. To hang your hat on that like, "Yeah, that's something we should stick with" is insane.

It seems like we have too many talented backs to have Tommy heaving bombs into a hurricane. At this point I'd be happy running the Wishbone.

Agreed. Jano didn't have too many carries, just not always the right call for his ability. We passed way too often for the weather conditions. I don't think Jano should be getting a ton of carries, but if I remember right, most were on the last drive. If we run it with Oz more often, we move the ball more effectively. It isn't that Jano is a bad back, because he has impressed me. He runs hard and has decent success going north and south.