Ran into an old boss at work this morning who played football at Oregon State....

First of all the guy never played for Mike Riley so his opinion is not a first hand account of his coaching ability. I don't know if Riley was a good hire or not, but it happened and we will live with what ever transpires for at least 3 years IMO.

FWIW I was sitting in the Boise airport bar in July and struck up a conversation with a guy in his 50's with a OSU polo on. He said he was acquainted with MR as they had some mutual friends. Said he was a great guy and great coach. But, that he was getting a little heat lately about his teams. Was actually surprised he took the Nebraska Job.

ok... would you be willing to say that a broad spectrum analysis of his coaching sucsess provided in a numerical figure would suffice? I've got some bad news..

I had a friend was a big baseball player

back in high school

He could throw that speedball by you

Make you look like a fool boy

Saw him the other night at this roadside bar

I was walking in, he was walking out

We went back inside sat down had a few drinks

but all he kept talking about was

Mike Riley

wut?

in the 1980's. I was going to say something about Riley, but I thought better against it, because he's got bigger things on his mind. Unsolicited by me, he said to me "Hey, I am sorry that Riley isn't doing well for Nebraska. I didn't think it was a good hire at the time, and I don't understand why a program like Nebraska would hire him in the first place. Don't get me wrong, Riley is a nice guy, but he's not a great coach."

We chatted for a couple minutes in the hallway, and then he ended it with "Banker is not a good defensive coordinator. We had been trying to get ride of him for a long time." I just replied "Yeah, I don't know what Banker is trying to do out there."

I just thought this was an interesting perspective. I know this isn't the first time we have heard this chatter from Oregon State fans/alums. This was a guy who played football at Oregon State, so he knows his stuff. It's almost like he felt sorry for me, in that I (as a Husker fan) have to deal with Riley now. The most telling part to me was the way he interjected "He's a nice guy". When we keep on hearing that about Riley, it tells me that they struggle to find other positives about Riley, so they always fall back on "well, he's a nice guy".

I get the feeling that you made this conversation up in your head.