Ashamed

I really need to get this off my chest. I am ASHAMED to call myself a Husker fan right now. I am not ashamed of the TEAM or the COACHING STAFF. I am ashamed of our FAN BASE. We are 6 games into a new era and the supposed "greatest fans in college football", want to fire everyone. It's pathetic if you ask me.

I am amazed at all the D1 coaches, AD's, and Chancellors that we have posting on here. Man, if NU would just hire all of you, we would never lose a game, recruit, or donor. It would be the greatest thing since slice bread. GOOD GOD, get over yourselves.

I am in my late 40's so I have seen the glory years and the hard times, the 70's and early 80's, so I know my Husker football. Thank god we didn't have social media back then, because TO would have left. I remember my father and grandfather using the phrase, "run two, pass one, punt", when talking about TO's offensive scheme. TO had a vision of what he wanted to do and over 20 YEARS of effort he got it done. It didn't happen in 6 games, it didn't happen in 3-5 years. It took 20 years for him to win the big game. Was he ever, 2-4? No, but he didn't have to deal with a college landscape that we have today. He had guys sitting the bench waiting their turn that would be considered 4* players today. Make no mistake, his teams were loaded with talent.

We need to get a grip and let Riley do his thing. I remember losses like yesterday, last week, and week one. TO had them back in the day. We survived them then and we will survive them now. There is a quote on the stadium wall that reflects the Nebraska way, "Not the victory but the action, not the goal but the game, in the deed the glory", we used to believe in that quote. That is what made us the "greatest fans in college football".

We have lost our way!!!

not really, we are just accustomed to better coaches and better coaching.........we have a .500 guy with years of experience, why???????????

• Fire 1

We are the greatest fans indeed. We deserve the best. We work our asses off to be able to go to games, afford season tickets, buy gear, etc. How long of a track record do you need look at to understand that we have a career 500 coach and that's what we'll be while he is here. That's not what I want or what we deserve

• Fire 8

We are the greatest fans indeed. We deserve the best. We work our asses off to be able to go to games, afford season tickets, buy gear, etc. How long of a track record do you need look at to understand that we have a career 500 coach and that's what we'll be while he is here. That's not what I want or what we deserve

Shawn Eichorst, please submit your resignation.

WOW, now we deserve something from this team. We are FANS!! We don't DESERVE anything......

• Fire 4

I agree with the op. We as a fan base are big and proud however we don't deserve anything. We have been blessed as nebraska fans to experience national titles Heisman trophies and a lot of great things. But that doesn't mean we are entitled to anything here in 2015. We don't pay any more for our shirts or our tickets or any other stuff as other places. We are not a bad football team, we have made some interesting play calls that have contributed to us losing a couple games. I think what it comes down to is jealousy. So the way I see it you have two choices. Cheer like you always have because you love the Huskers or you can go away and cheer for a winner because you think your entitled to it. GBR

• Fire 2

I do think some comments and the people who offer them on this board (I don't know what is written elsewhere as I don't take the time but presumably there is a similar tone and content as this board exhibits) are fair or right and could be accurately described as shameful. I am not ashamed of our team or program or the coaches or administration.

I do, however, understand the strong questioning of how or why we selected Riley to be the future of the program. We needed as a Head Coach at Nebraska someone that has the following capabilities:

1. A great X & Os guy.

2. A person of great, demonstrated personal character for honesty, integrity, sincerity, intelligence, well spoken, with a desire to be the coach at Nebraska as a long term career.

3. A coach with considerable experience (at least 10 years IMO) as a head coach of a program of significance with large budgets, of a D-1 level program.

4. A coach with experience as a former player who can relate to the work, effort, trials and tribulations of being a collegiate and or pro athlete in today's world.

5. A coach with a national reputation and well known to most of the college football world.

6. A good judge of character who can relate to today's youth and be a good role model and leader of them (this is not easy certainly).

7. A person with extra thick skin who can handle criticism and responds well to challenges and believes fervently in his system.

8. Someone who is adaptable and can adjust to the changes that occur over time as things are always in a state of constant change.

9. Someone who will NOT embarrass the University through his personal actions or violate the rules or attempt to cover up the same.

The question is: How many of these basic descriptors do you feel Riley fits? Can we find someone who fits better?

I thiink Riley somewhat fits numbers 1, 3, 4, 6 (maybe?), and 7, and 9. I think he falls short of meeting 2, 5 and 8 and again 6 is ify at best.

We are FANS!! We don't DESERVE anything.

Does the Nebraska football team DESERVE more and better fans after a 2-4 record and the captain made a reference to them being "Piece of Sh!t" fans, as quoted by the media?...and the other captains saying they are okay with it after said captain apologized to THEM?

Maybe we can have the team captains lose the American flag they wave when they take the field and instead they can all push a burning dumpster across the field for Fan Appreciation Day.

False outrage doesn't look good on you and it doesn't wear well with others. This team and this season is what it is. Everybody will either get over it or die from it, so either way it won't be a long term condition.

We were told that money wasn't a factor in the coaching decision, and we would hire a coach that would lead us to championships. Yet we hire a .500 coach, who was facing heat from his current program, and only championships he can claim are a couple Grey Cups in the late 80's. But yes let's all be happy watching this team consistently blow leads in the 2nd half and lose on the final possession.

• Fire 1

If you read what I wrote, I never said anything about being happy with how we are playing. I was talking about the how the fan base is reacting. It used to be about the "boys", now it seems to be about the "fans". The "boys" don't play for us, they play for each other and the team. It used to be about "hard work and determination" now its about 9 wins.

Will we ever be great again, I don't know. However, we keep firing coaching staffs over and over, it will NEVER happen.

• Fire 5

I do think some comments and the people who offer them on this board (I don't know what is written elsewhere as I don't take the time but presumably there is a similar tone and content as this board exhibits) are fair or right and could be accurately described as shameful. I am not ashamed of our team or program or the coaches or administration.

I do, however, understand the strong questioning of how or why we selected Riley to be the future of the program. We needed as a Head Coach at Nebraska someone that has the following capabilities:

1. A great X & Os guy.

2. A person of great, demonstrated personal character for honesty, integrity, sincerity, intelligence, well spoken, with a desire to be the coach at Nebraska as a long term career.

3. A coach with considerable experience (at least 10 years IMO) as a head coach of a program of significance with large budgets, of a D-1 level program.

4. A coach with experience as a former player who can relate to the work, effort, trials and tribulations of being a collegiate and or pro athlete in today's world.

5. A coach with a national reputation and well known to most of the college football world.

6. A good judge of character who can relate to today's youth and be a good role model and leader of them (this is not easy certainly).

7. A person with extra thick skin who can handle criticism and responds well to challenges and believes fervently in his system.

8. Someone who is adaptable and can adjust to the changes that occur over time as things are always in a state of constant change.

9. Someone who will NOT embarrass the University through his personal actions or violate the rules or attempt to cover up the same.

The question is: How many of these basic descriptors do you feel Riley fits? Can we find someone who fits better?

I thiink Riley somewhat fits numbers 1, 3, 4, 6 (maybe?), and 7, and 9. I think he falls short of meeting 2, 5 and 8 and again 6 is ify at best.

How the hell does he fall short of 2 and 5?