Ashamed

I really need to get this off my chest. I am ASHAMED to call myself a Husker fan right now. I am not ashamed of the TEAM or the COACHING STAFF. I am ashamed of our FAN BASE. We are 6 games into a new era and the supposed "greatest fans in college football", want to fire everyone. It's pathetic if you ask me.

I am amazed at all the D1 coaches, AD's, and Chancellors that we have posting on here. Man, if NU would just hire all of you, we would never lose a game, recruit, or donor. It would be the greatest thing since slice bread. GOOD GOD, get over yourselves.

I am in my late 40's so I have seen the glory years and the hard times, the 70's and early 80's, so I know my Husker football. Thank god we didn't have social media back then, because TO would have left. I remember my father and grandfather using the phrase, "run two, pass one, punt", when talking about TO's offensive scheme. TO had a vision of what he wanted to do and over 20 YEARS of effort he got it done. It didn't happen in 6 games, it didn't happen in 3-5 years. It took 20 years for him to win the big game. Was he ever, 2-4? No, but he didn't have to deal with a college landscape that we have today. He had guys sitting the bench waiting their turn that would be considered 4* players today. Make no mistake, his teams were loaded with talent.

We need to get a grip and let Riley do his thing. I remember losses like yesterday, last week, and week one. TO had them back in the day. We survived them then and we will survive them now. There is a quote on the stadium wall that reflects the Nebraska way, "Not the victory but the action, not the goal but the game, in the deed the glory", we used to believe in that quote. That is what made us the "greatest fans in college football".

We have lost our way!!!

Win the big game? Riley might need 20 more years to win another game, period.

I do think some comments and the people who offer them on this board (I don't know what is written elsewhere as I don't take the time but presumably there is a similar tone and content as this board exhibits) are fair or right and could be accurately described as shameful. I am not ashamed of our team or program or the coaches or administration.

I do, however, understand the strong questioning of how or why we selected Riley to be the future of the program. We needed as a Head Coach at Nebraska someone that has the following capabilities:

1. A great X & Os guy.

2. A person of great, demonstrated personal character for honesty, integrity, sincerity, intelligence, well spoken, with a desire to be the coach at Nebraska as a long term career.

3. A coach with considerable experience (at least 10 years IMO) as a head coach of a program of significance with large budgets, of a D-1 level program.

4. A coach with experience as a former player who can relate to the work, effort, trials and tribulations of being a collegiate and or pro athlete in today's world.

5. A coach with a national reputation and well known to most of the college football world.

6. A good judge of character who can relate to today's youth and be a good role model and leader of them (this is not easy certainly).

7. A person with extra thick skin who can handle criticism and responds well to challenges and believes fervently in his system.

8. Someone who is adaptable and can adjust to the changes that occur over time as things are always in a state of constant change.

9. Someone who will NOT embarrass the University through his personal actions or violate the rules or attempt to cover up the same.

The question is: How many of these basic descriptors do you feel Riley fits? Can we find someone who fits better?

I thiink Riley somewhat fits numbers 1, 3, 4, 6 (maybe?), and 7, and 9. I think he falls short of meeting 2, 5 and 8 and again 6 is ify at best.

How the hell does he fall short of 2 and 5?

I'd say the potential for 2 and 5 is there, we'll know next Saturday. Oh wait, you meant...nvm :devil

• Fire 3

The fans on this board want the best for the state and university. I don't think we are asking for anything special. When the AD and Chancellor hire a football coach in less than a week and he is at best a nice guy and an average coach I feel the state of Nebraska has the right to ask questions. Was the only criteria to not make the university look bad. I have seen too many times how hiring the wrong person can damage an institution. If money was no problem, why the quick hire. Why not call in some of the former players, coaches, and boosters and set up a criteria for what is wanted in a coach. This seems like BC hire all over again. Far too many times the egos of the people in charge get in the way of common sense. This is the highest paying job in public education in the state of Nebraska and needs to be questioned based on the product placed on the field. The team has had a winning record for the past seven years and we fired a coach with a bad temper.( Justified) We bring in a coach known as a nice guy and we are 2-4. It is not the losses that people are having a problem with, its the penalties, poor game management, and no production on O or D. The state of Nebraska needs to hold those in charge accountable for there actions. It starts at the top.

• Fire 2

Good original post NU5X. I've read this board daily for years, I just have never been one to comment. While I have some frustration with some of the play calling - two things stand out:

- You're not going to be a great program without great QBs, and this year, Nebraska is lacking a great QB. You just can't play call your way out of a QB that continually can't set his feet right.

- For the long term future of the franchise, I haven't been this optimistic in years. Bo's staff couldn't recruit skill positions. The number of great skill positions players that are actually looking at Nebraska - I've just never seen it at such a high point.

Sure, Riley's got to start to gel with his staff and do better with the x's and o's - but without that pipeline of great talent, Nebraska was never going to be better than a 9 win team - and Riley has quickly proven he's the best guy we've had in years for actually getting great future players in house.

• Fire 3

anyone that gets that rapped up in a game played by young men need to get a life I agree with the op

1800 posts? Hello pot, meet kettle. We're all wrapped up in the game and want desperately for these young men to win and bring the program back to relevance. This guy ain't gonna lead them there, plain and simple.

• Fire 2

anyone that gets that rapped up in a game played by young men need to get a life I agree with the op

1800 posts? Hello pot, meet kettle. We're all wrapped up in the game and want desperately for these young men to win and bring the program back to relevance. This guy ain't gonna lead them there, plain and simple.

I post because it is fun I love the game of football. I watched games from 10 am till 10 pm last night. Sure I am unhappy that Nebraska is 2-4 right now, but I am not going to let it ruin my life or my week.

Winning is not Nebraska birthright that is what is bad about too many fans.

• Fire 2

I think it's actually been very tame around the boards considering the circumstances. The OP is the one spreading vitriol and insulting the participants here.

Most fans are just resigned to believing the show is out of their control and no commentary will make a difference.I personally am against trying to manage the team from the comfy chair;....if this experienced staff doesn't know what to do then it'll have to play itself out.

• Fire 2

I couldn't agree more with everything the OP has said. I have travelled to other stadiums and seen their fans mock our fan base. The past is just that, the past. There has been little to truly be proud of in the present. We need to win in order to say we have a championship tradition at this point. Our fans are incredible (when we are winning), they were a tremendous asset yesterday. Yet, in some road blow-outs, I see our fans fleeing the stadium at halftime. Maybe there were medical emergencies or something, but in Indy there were none left by the end of the game (except me and a guy whose girlfriend was a Badger)...We have become fair weather fans. Plain and simple.

We are everything we ridicule other fan bases for being.

I couldn't agree more with everything the OP has said. I have travelled to other stadiums and seen their fans mock our fan base. The past is just that, the past. There has been little to truly be proud of in the present. We need to win in order to say we have a championship tradition at this point. Our fans are incredible (when we are winning), they were a tremendous asset yesterday. Yet, in some road blow-outs, I see our fans fleeing the stadium at halftime. Maybe there were medical emergencies or something, but in Indy there were none left by the end of the game (except me and a guy whose girlfriend was a Badger)...We have become fair weather fans. Plain and simple.

You ridicule other fan bases? I don't....unless they're throwing piss bombs.

Maybe that is a word you don't understand. Read the board. We (in general) constantly praise ourselves for being better than other fan bases because we don't _____ (fill in the blank, boo, they can't touch our sellout streak, whatever...the list is so long I can't even do it justice). Other fans work hard to buy tickets, gear or whatever to show support for their team. We only truly support winners. It makes us the same. Sorry you can't see that.

Maybe that is a word you don't understand. Read the board. We (in general) constantly praise ourselves for being better than other fan bases because we don't _____ (fill in the blank, boo, they can't touch our sellout streak, whatever...the list is so long I can't even do it justice). Other fans work hard to buy tickets, gear or whatever to show support for their team. We only truly support winners. It makes us the same. Sorry you can't see that.

Seems to me that you're the one who doesn't understand. 90,000 fans showed up to watch this team....all the people complaining sat through yet another poor performance hoping things would turn around.

Seems to me you just came on the board to insult the people who are discussing what's going on; to tell us to shut up. Discussing the team is what we do on team boards.....if it gives you the vapors to hear it maybe you shouldn't.

• Fire 2