Penalties: Yellow a bad color for Huskers

Saunders

This is a cultural thing within a program. That's why it automatically doesn't improve just by a coaching change. It might take some time to get this out of their system. Hopefully it improves as the year goes and drastically improves for next year.

Well if the data is any indicator, it will be worse because Riley's teams were much more heavily penalized than Bo's.

I remember Collins getting called for offsides with his helmet over the ball a couple times this year, and I see this all the time and it hardly ever gets called.

Yeah, that was a bad one. You never see that called. And it gave the Vadgers a first down.

I think the worst one was the illegal formation call that negated a 35 yd run by Tommy in the second quarter. It definitely cost us three points. Might have cost us a touchdown. I think the call was on the pulling guard, maybe Kondolo. Anyway he cheated back a bit from his normal position so he could pull. But he was still overlapping the center by a foot or so. I could've sworn that was legal. I mean, the refs wouldn't let us line a RB that far up into the line, would they? Could we line Jano that far up to get a jump on hitting the LB? I think not. Seems like it's gotta be one way or the other--the guard was either in the line or in the backfield. And he was overlapping the center so it seems like he had to be considered in the line. (Or am I wrong about this? Any refs out there?)

• Fire 3

It's a cultural thing due to the fact the players obviously don't take it seriously and they haven't for a long time. Penalties have been a problem for years in this program through a number of changes in players on the field. Sure, they are higher this year than they have been. But, that doesn't mean they weren't a problem before.

Riley's past penalty problems are a concern of mine. That doesn't mean it's not a cultural problem here.

Most penalties are a result of not paying attention to detail. When a tackle is flagged for being too far off the LOS which causes there to be 5 players in the back field, that's not because the coaches failed to tell him...."hey...you need to be in a certain position to not get flagged." It's a mental issue to not pay attention to that detail. The mentality that allows that to fester in the entire program is a cultural issue. Discipline is a cultural issue.

My only question is, how come it is not going both ways? What does it cost for them to throw a holding flag against Collins. Dude gets tackled on almost every play but not one holding call against Wisconsin.

I'd be happy with them just evening out the bad PI calls. The one on Cockrell was atrocious, because he beat the receiver to the ball. And Riley not getting a call after he got tackled mid air before the ball was bad too.

That was terrible call, I can't remember exactly but it was either a second down or 3rd down call. If it was third it was the difference between a FG try and a TD. It was such a ticky tack call.

It's a cultural thing due to the fact the players obviously don't take it seriously and they haven't for a long time. Penalties have been a problem for years in this program through a number of changes in players on the field. Sure, they are higher this year than they have been. But, that doesn't mean they weren't a problem before.

Riley's past penalty problems are a concern of mine. That doesn't mean it's not a cultural problem here.

Most penalties are a result of not paying attention to detail. When a tackle is flagged for being too far off the LOS which causes there to be 5 players in the back field, that's not because the coaches failed to tell him...."hey...you need to be in a certain position to not get flagged." It's a mental issue to not pay attention to that detail. The mentality that allows that to fester in the entire program is a cultural issue. Discipline is a cultural issue.

Not trying to be a jerk but are you intentionally ignoring the fact that we've gotten significantly worse in this area? Why would the culture have suddenly gotten so much worse? Were we not paying attention before but now we're REALLY not paying attention?

• Fire 1

Not trying to be a jerk but are you intentionally ignoring the fact that we've gotten significantly worse in this area? Why would the culture have suddenly gotten so much worse? Were we not paying attention before but now we're REALLY not paying attention?

I really didn't think my comments would be very controversial. I acknowledged Riley's pas penalty problems in the post you quoted and said they are a concern of mine. Are we now saying that penalties weren't a problem before he got here? I thought that was a common theme of complaint over the last number of years under Pellini. They may have improved a little in the last couple of years, but, they were still a problem.

This argument I have found myself in feels like arguing if an alcoholic gets drunk 5 nights a week it's not an addiction problem because he's not getting drunk 7 nights a week.

I really didn't think my comments would be very controversial. I acknowledged Riley's pas penalty problems in the post you quoted and said they are a concern of mine. Are we now saying that penalties weren't a problem before he got here? I thought that was a common theme of complaint over the last number of years under Pellini. They may have improved a little in the last couple of years, but, they were still a problem.

This argument I have found myself in feels like arguing if an alcoholic gets drunk 5 nights a week it's not an addiction problem because he's not getting drunk 7 nights a week.

Penalties are always a problem. But claiming some sort of cultural issue doesn't make sense in this case. We've averaged about 6 penalties a year for the last three years. It could always be less but only the best 8-10 teams had fewer than 4 and the vast majority of teams are between 4 and 7. Now we're at 9.7. That's over a 50% increase. So if you're going to claim some cultural problem that has carried over, I think it's a fair question to as why the sudden change to be significantly more. That would seem to be far more indicative of a changed culture toward more penalties, especially considering Riley's track record in that area.

• Fire 1

That is a big question.

Why more this year compared to last. Could it be players thinking too much about their assignment in a new system and less about fine details?

I don't know the answer.

I would like to see a breakdown of number and type of penalty. Which dude of the ball ball has more?

That information to me would be valuable to see what the solution is.

That is a big question.

Why more this year compared to last. Could it be players thinking too much about their assignment in a new system and less about fine details?

I don't know the answer.

I would like to see a breakdown of number and type of penalty. Which dude of the ball ball has more?

That information to me would be valuable to see what the solution is.

My question would be why are Riley's teams consistently more penalized than others? Yes, this is Riley's first team at Nebraska, but Riley has had penalty issues throughout his career at Oregon State. To me, that's why this is a concern.

• Fire 2

The answers to my questions would help answer your question.

If most of the penalties are on the offense due to players not lining up right or two players in motion, that could be more because of players not sure if their roll.

If most are false starts or encroachment, that would point to just not concentrating in the heat of the moment.

If they are holding or pass interference that would point to bad technique.

Can't answer the question with out more info.

The answers to my questions would help answer your question.

If most of the penalties are on the offense due to players not lining up right or two players in motion, that could be more because of players not sure if their roll.

If most are false starts or encroachment, that would point to just not concentrating in the heat of the moment.

If they are holding or pass interference that would point to bad technique.

Can't answer the question with out more info.

You are correct on your assessments of the penalties, but I don't understand how that is a culture problem like you have stated in your previous posts. It seems like you may be contradicting yourself a little bit because none of those seem like a culture issue through six games.

I remember Collins getting called for offsides with his helmet over the ball a couple times this year, and I see this all the time and it hardly ever gets called.

exactly. Against Miami a couple of times I thought the UM DE was over the line a couple times but they never threw the flag for it.