Good step forward

Dagerow

Well, I am not sure we saw a lot of 'improvement' except of course in the 'win' area. Certainly, played well enough to win.

how about play calling, game management, Newby, completion percentage, big plays with pierson el ect, penalties, finishing a game. But outside of that I pretty much agree with you

Play calling: it was better this week yes but not better than the first three games in which it was OK as well. It was poor in first couple big ten games. Is it improved since the beginning of the year. I don't think we can fairly say that.

Game management: well we didn't really blow it although I am sure we could find plenty of little things to do better. I guess you could say 'improvement' which I consider to be a general not specific term. In general, game management has not been bad or exceptional good. Average. We had serious mismanagement at times but NOT overall in my view. So, I don't see much improvement. Newby? well he ran through a hole wide enough to drive a U Haul truck through straight up the field for a long TD run and average about 3.4 yards per carry on his other 12 or so runs. Improvement? I don't know. Any of our back could have made that long run - any I believe. Maybe Jano would have been caught from behind IDK. completion percentage? 69% is better than some of the prior game numbers but the weather was absolutely perfect for throwing and we three quite abit less. So - improvement? Maybe. He has done well, except in bad weather for the most part. Big plays? We had two or three I suppose but that is about normal isn't it? Punt return was much better but Pierson El also failed to catch one and let it roll all the way to the one - after which the offense was forced to make a 99 yard drive. I believe the ball rolled about 25 yards to get to the one and should have been fielded to avoid Huskers being pinned on the one. Improvement? Maybe. Finishing the game? Yes, better than several but 'improvement' in general. We had a couple times in the early 4th quarter when the team was teetering on the brink of failure once again. We had a series of three incomeplete passes in a row that left the Gooophers with plenty of time to come back and they mounted one. Had the on side kick worked, who knows how we would have come out! Then, we had another series where we three a completed pass to Westy on his back apparently (I only get to listen to the games and can't watch when working) to keep a drive going when we needed a few yards we three for 20 or more? High risk and almost flopped it. We were much closer to making that game another "hail mary ender' than many want to admit. Improvement? Maybe.

Man I feel sorry for you. It is so sad that you find no joy in things. You were probably mad that NU didn't put 70 on Florida in 95

• Fire 2

Punt return game worse than ever.

What?!

We let two punts roll a long ways yesterday, and we fumbled one the prior game. One punt we didn't catch was downed at the one yard line against Minny. Not executing the fundamentals is killing this team. We need DPE with that fearless, I can catch everything and take it to the house, attitude he had last year

He lost at least one of those balls in the sun, and the other one was just a good punt. You can't stop a good punt with good coverage from getting downed, and letting the second go was probably the right call -- where would he have fair caught it anyway, the 5?

He also had a 42-yard return, and another pretty decent one, but you can focus on that or the prior game fumble.

Chatelain from OWH on Sunday pointed out the improvement by NU from the past two games against the Gophers:

"The past two years, Minnesota exposed Nebraska for what it was: a team too soft to win the Big Ten West. Sure, the Huskers had playmakers, but when it came down to crunch time and they needed to push the line of scrimmage, they couldn’t.

In 2013, Minnesota rushed 54 times for 271 yards against NU. It held the ball for 35:37. It sacked Taylor Martinez four times.

In 2014, Minnesota rushed 53 times for 281. It held the ball for 34:39. It sacked Tommy Armstrong four times."

As for all the talk about not fielding a punt; the sun was brutal. Better to let the punt roll than try to field a football you can't see. Even though the Gophers downed the ball at the 1 yard line, the Huskers reeled off a 99 yard scoring drive!

• Fire 1

What?!

We let two punts roll a long ways yesterday, and we fumbled one the prior game. One punt we didn't catch was downed at the one yard line against Minny. Not executing the fundamentals is killing this team. We need DPE with that fearless, I can catch everything and take it to the house, attitude he had last year

We have an all American back there fielding punts. When the first punt was allowed to drop I scratched my head in confusion. Then, I noticed the position of the sun. Look at the shadows of the players as he is looking for the ball. I believe he wasn't confident in being able to see the ball.

To say our punt returning is "the worse I've ever seen" is....well.....living in a world that isn't reality.

We are currently 30th in the country in average punt return yards and we just now are getting our AA returner back.

How did this team win on Saturday?

Tell ya how....

Two penalties for 25 yards. Two. For 25 yards.

From a team that had (per each previous game):

12 penalties for 90 yards

7 penalties for 80 yards

12 penalties for 98 yards

6 penalties for 42 yards

9 penalties for 89 yards

This was the most complete game they've played all year long. They reduced the backbreaking stupid penalties, won the turnover battle, and for the most part, tackled well.

Improved offensive play calling, but this is what we needed.

Improved number of penalties, but it is easy to improve when you are so bad, and the refs were not calling much.

Field goal kicking still poor.

DB play still piss poor.

Did you mean to post this in the "LOL Michigan" thread?

He lost at least one of those balls in the sun, and the other one was just a good punt. You can't stop a good punt with good coverage from getting downed, and letting the second go was probably the right call -- where would he have fair caught it anyway, the 5?

He also had a 42-yard return, and another pretty decent one, but you can focus on that or the prior game fumble.

The second one almost hit him. If you are going to let it go, then get away from it. I wonder if DPE's foot is fully healed. He used to have no fear at catching a punt running full speed. I also miss the days of TO with 3 returners to guarntee nothing hit the ground.

What?!

you do realize dpe was staring straight into the sun, right. The ball landed 4 yards behind him and ironically, onto his shadow (if your shadow is behind you that implies the suns in front of you). When dpe returned a punt the other way (not staring into the sun) he returned it for 40+ yards.

The second one almost hit him. If you are going to let it go, then get away from it. I wonder if DPE's foot is fully healed. He used to have no fear at catching a punt running full speed. I also miss the days of TO with 3 returners to guarntee nothing hit the ground.

If you lose it in the sun, where do you run to so that you don't get hit by it? Also, if he loses it in the sun, how is he supposed to catch in on a run?

I guess he could be like the scene out of Caddy Shack.

"Be the Ball Danny".