Northwestern week

Red Five

Looking at NW's QB (Thorson), we should have a chance as he seems to be worse than Liedner/Stave. He's topped 200 yards once (256 against Ball St). Every other game is between 70 and 150 yards. He is only completing 53% of his passes and has 5.4 ypa.

The do have a good RB in Jackson who is averaging just shy of 100 yards/game. If we can keep him in check, I feel pretty confident in making Thorson beat us.

If we want to salvage this season, beating Northwestern will be a big step in that direction.

They haven't looked like the same team that bested Stanford. Getting shutout by Michigan, getting plastered by Iowa at home. Yeah we can win this one IF we tighten up on defense. This is a team that could give us fits if we let em build some early confidence.

If we want to salvage this season, beating Northwestern will be a big step in that direction.

They haven't looked like the same team that bested Stanford. Getting shutout by Michigan, getting plastered by Iowa at home. Yeah we can win this one IF we tighten up on defense. This is a team that could give us fits if we let em build some early confidence.

True it is also a team that if Nebraska gets up a couple of TD in the 1st quarter could fold up. They looked pretty bad for about 2/3 of the game against Iowa. NU just needs to keep getting healthy and keep getting a little better each week. That is all you can hope and expect to happen.

FWIW -Damon Benning today said that BP's style of defense played right into what NW does well offensively. He said the defense we will see Saturday from Nebraska does not.

Eh, I don't really buy that. Our games vs. Northwestern have been much more about us shooting ourselves in the foot than them beating us.

The first time we played them (2011) that could have been true to some extent. They're short crossing routes ate us up, which, I assume, is what DB was talking about as I've heard that elsewhere before. But not so much after that.

In 2012, we out-gained them 543 to 301 but only beat them by one point thanks in large part to three turnovers.

In 2013 we out-gained them 472 to 326 but turned it over four times.

Last year we finally didn't turn it over against them and the 471 to 290 yardage advantage had a much closer correlation to the scoreboard (38-17).

So they averaged just over 300 yards per game on us the last three years. That's 133 fewer yards per game than we're currently giving up on the year. We may hold down their yardage this year (maybe) but they're also #116 in the country in Total Offense so....

• Fire 1

FWIW -Damon Benning today said that BP's style of defense played right into what NW does well offensively. He said the defense we will see Saturday from Nebraska does not.

Eh, I don't really buy that. Our games vs. Northwestern have been much more about us shooting ourselves in the foot than them beating us.

The first time we played them (2011) that could have been true to some extent. They're short crossing routes ate us up, which, I assume, is what DB was talking about as I've heard that elsewhere before. But not so much after that.

In 2012, we out-gained them 543 to 301 but only beat them by one point thanks in large part to three turnovers.

In 2013 we out-gained them 472 to 326 but turned it over four times.

Last year we finally didn't turn it over against them and the 471 to 290 yardage advantage had a much closer correlation to the scoreboard (38-17).

So they averaged just over 300 yards per game on us the last three years. That's 133 fewer yards per game than we're currently giving up on the year. We may hold down their yardage this year (maybe) but they're also #116 in the country in Total Offense so....

I am just telling you what he said. The 2012 game I remember them trying to throw a lot of fades against Nebraska.