This Play Erased So Many Question Marks

True2tRA

This play:

Erased a lot of questions we had about this team.

Question number one was about the ability of our offensive line.

In my opinion, the improvement of the offensive line has been dramatic. This play demonstrates the capabilities. Let's get it out of the way now that Minnesota was clearly not on the right page on defense, but regardless, we executed our part and that word EXECUTE is not something you could say too often in recent history. The assignment blocking on this play is great in my opinion. It looks like the players understood their assignments and made their blocks.

Question two was if Nebraska lacked a homerun threat.

Newby went 69 yards and his speed is obvious. When we execute and when Newby sees the lane open up, it is clear that he can be that home run threat. Part of being able to hit the homerun is catching the defense off guard and taking advantage of the opportunity when they present it. As much as you could say Minnesota was out of position, give credit to Nebraska for recognizing it and not hesitating.

Question three was if Newby could be the guy.

To me this play showed a side of Newby I'd like to see more. Now this one might have been "easy". He had a huge lane open up and he one cut and BOOM, to the house. But to me, this is the Newby we need to see more often and he's now shown he can do it. I want to see the one cut and BOOM Newby more often. It's when he takes those two or three hesitations steps, that's when we go nowhere. If Newby can continue to recognize the openings in the defense and show no hesitation, I think he can be THAT GUY that the Nebraska fans desire in their run game.

• Fire 5

Love your positivity, but I have to be that guy. I like what Newby has done this year and I do think he should be the starter. However I'm still not convinced about his "one cut and go", that play the hole was straight ahead and 10 feet wide.

I'm still not convinced he has the knack for running a stretch play and not dancing around until something opens up. But I'm hoping he will develop that as he continues to get more reps.

Also, unless it's 2 yards or less to go, please leave Imani on the side.

• Fire 2

Im gonna be that guy for other reasons. That play was a result of Minny did-or didnt do-tgan what we did. Yes we got a great block at the POA. But what allowed that play to go from 7 yards to a houser was how minny corner blitzed themselves out of the play both linebackers got held up. And the play side safety got caught peekin backside.

But thats football. Ill take it.

Love your positivity, but I have to be that guy. I like what Newby has done this year and I do think he should be the starter. However I'm still not convinced about his "one cut and go", that play the hole was straight ahead and 10 feet wide.

I'm still not convinced he has the knack for running a stretch play and not dancing around until something opens up. But I'm hoping he will develop that as he continues to get more reps.

Since when has Imani shown he can't get yards when he's not hit immediately in the backfield?
  • Fire 1

Since when has Imani shown he can't get yards when he's not hit immediately in the backfield?
just a matter of fact here. Imanis 51 yard td run against mich st in 2013 was same scenario. They had multiple huys caught out of position. One good block sprung it.
  • Fire 1

Game 7 and Oz, Wilbon, Newby and Jano have shown flashes. None have made me say, wow that's the guy. IMO, Jano has shown to be the best guy to get the yards. No idea if he could be an every down back. I still don't see Newby as the guy. I'm just not a fan of his style of running. I like a guy who gets north and south in a hurry. He seems to wait tooling for the holes to open and dances hoping one does. Like the whole team, he does seem to be improving. I've just been spoiled by the Roy, Rex, AA dynasty. Was hoping that chain wouldn't be broken and that the one thing we could count on regardless of the other positions was a RB who could make opposing teams pay. Might be the RB's, but I am leaning more towards scheme and the coaches not convinced to win you have to run first in the B1G and use it to establish the run. (like the Minny game)

All the comments about Newby's style, or Minnesota "gave" it to us.

I like the way Newby DID run, and the way we took what the defense gave us. And we did it on the ground.

Be prepared Lo Country.

The only reason Nebraska ran the ball more under Tim Beck was because Tim Beck was not a good enough coach or recruiter to bring a QB into his system and execute it at a high rate.

Langsdorf and Riley will get their guy and they are good enough to get their team to execute it. The result will be more of a balanced attack, and it will probably be a successful one.

Positivity True! Keep it up you make this board more fun (for most, and the others.....screw em ;) )

Thanks man, I appreciate that. It's really what I was trying to accomplish with this one. Broke it down into just one play, but for me there was a lot of positives to take from this one. Just seeing some good fundamental execution and we took advantage of what they gave us. Yeah, they were out of position and made mistakes, but its still the Huskers job to execute the play and make it happen. The fellas did their jobs and it looked good. I love seeing Nebraska break off a big run like that, I don't care what the defense did. Between that one and Jano's big TD run against Wisconsin, I'm loving the ground game and the effort from the Huskers.

• Fire 1

Well, I didn't know Newby had that type of speed before watching that play, so that part was good news to me. It was good to see Newby run that one out. I've actually been more encouraged seeing Newby's play the last two games where he hits the hole hard and takes the contact. Avoiding the contact and spending a little too much time looking for holes was my biggest complaint of him.

I think we're gonna be fine with all these guys. They're just trying to find their confidence within a completely different team culture and different playbooks.

• Fire 1

All the comments about Newby's style, or Minnesota "gave" it to us.

I like the way Newby DID run, and the way we took what the defense gave us. And we did it on the ground.

Be prepared Lo Country.

The only reason Nebraska ran the ball more under Tim Beck was because Tim Beck was not a good enough coach or recruiter to bring a QB into his system and execute it at a high rate.

Langsdorf and Riley will get their guy and they are good enough to get their team to execute it. The result will be more of a balanced attack, and it will probably be a successful one.

I really hope Newby can become the guy (or one of the other backs). In the same vein as those before him. Hard running, dependable, punishing runners who can get the tough yards and want the ball in their hands when the game is on the line.

Agree about Beck. He and Bo (Bo and Wats) seemed to want different styles of O. At least with Riley and Langs they have the same vision. It just seems that after 7 games, they are finally starting to actually fit the scheme to the guys they have. I was simply expecting a lot better record than we currently have. There has been improvement, both in the quality of play and play calling as the season progressed. That's good.

Can Riley ad Co get it done? I have my doubts. Confused by the clock management and play calling. Especially from an experienced staff. Maybe its the growing pains of a new conference like Bo had his first year (and every year after in the B1G) Maybe they will run the corner. Not a lot of ball left to play, but enough to get a bowl, get 9 wins and possibly knock of 2 top10 teams.

Bottom line, GBR.

• Fire 1