This Play Erased So Many Question Marks

True2tRA

I loved seeing him bust that loose.

Still, it's literally the only big TD run of the year. And it came against a reeling Minnesota. If we can do something comparable like that against an MSU, I'll be convinced.

Until then, I'm going to consider our O Line as average.

Ha ha! Yeah, that'd be quite a feat. Sparty's run defense is ranked 26th right now, giving up 120 yds per game. That might not sound too impressive. But their first seven games include Air Force and Oregon, the teams with the #5 and #6 ranked rushing attacks in the nation. Sparty's rushing D probably should be ranked around #10 or so, if you account for who they've faced. Sparty held Michigan to 62 yards last Saturday. Just sayin..

Valid point. Yet that's what we are aiming for isn't it? To be able to break off big plays on the best teams.

If we can do that this week and a couple next week I'll be mildly convinced.

Would love to see it. Actually ... wood!

Newby is averaging 5.7 yards a carry over 7 games with zero fumbles.

If coaches need to go with the RB most likely to help them win, it may indeed by Newby, with a heavy dose of our new old fullback Janovich. No argument with the coaches there.

If Ozigbo has been a pleasant surprise, it's because he's a capable sub for Newby. I don't see him doing things that Newby can't do.

I'm most interested in Wilbon getting reps, but that's a behind-the-scenes situation I can only pretend to know about.

My own opinion of Ozigbo is that he is a more decisive runner, and while Newby's averages look really good, he also has a tendency to make too many moves or just crumple into a tackle. It's one of the strangest things I've seen from a runner.

I think part of it is also that Newby just isn't overly flashy. That long TD run he had Saturday was by far his longest of the season. He also has long stretches where he is completely ineffective and that's something you just can't have from your starter. It's one thing to have a bad game, but to be completely shelved in favor of other backs? Pretty strange.

Overall, though, he's definitely our best back. I just wished there was a bit more wow factor to his game.

• Fire 1

good lord........there wasn't even a broken tackle highlight, no one within 10 yards of him, one play, what the hell does that prove? a hole the size of a damn tank.....obviously some Sota guys out of position!

"Let's get it out of the way now that Minnesota was clearly not on the right page on defense, but regardless, we executed our part and that word EXECUTE is not something you could say too often in recent history."

The OP addressed this. Also, while the hole was big are you seriously discounting what NU did to help create that hole? I understand guarding against the kool-aid but one can go in the opposite direction as well.

True I always enjoy your posts even when I disagree with them. Having said that the only reason Newby ran untouched into the end zone was because Minnesota completely blew their coverage on that play. That was pretty clear.

Take away that run which was possible again because Minny was completely out of position defensively and Newby ends up with 47 yards rushing.

Miiny being out of position did not occur in isolation. If you look at NU's plays prior that Newby's run you can see the setup. Minny's DBs looking the wrong way was due in no small part to NU running the RBs and FB up the gut, and to NU's jet sweeps. Ya, Minny was looking the wrong way and part of it was luck on our part but why discount what NU did to set it up?

This play was successful for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.

A) Great play design. It had misdirection that (along with previous play calls) got Minny out of position. They aren't out of position just because they are stupid. They are out of position because they think a different play is going to be ran which was set up by previous plays, formation, motion before snap...etc.

B) Very good line blocking. Everyone has their assignments so that once Minny is out of position, they can take advantage of it.

C) Having a good and fast RB that can take it to the house.

When you think back to the greatest offenses we have ever had, they had these three elements. (as far as a running play anyway). This is why I really am liking this offense. If these players can keep being developed into this system, I am really going to like watching it.

• Fire 1

Hey I just am glad we have a philosophy, and we don't run Beck's pistol/shotgun/read-option/diamond grab bag offense.

In yet, we usually ranked very high nationally in run offense...

And really, it's still a 'grab bag' offense, as long as Tommy is the QB. But I'm not complaining at all - I like this offense. Saturday showed just how good it can be.

in 7 games, this was his only really big run? ok........sigh

Jano is way more impressive, a wrecking ball with decent speed, north, south guy.

This is kind of sobering. I still do not think any of the backs have really "separated" themselves form the others. I hope to see more productivity and highlight worthy runs as Langs leans on it more to open the passing game.

in 7 games, this was his only really big run? ok........sigh

Jano is way more impressive, a wrecking ball with decent speed, north, south guy.

There are 18 running backs in the country with more than 1 play 60+ yards. 13 of those 18 only have 2 total runs of 60+ yards. So Newby is one more big run from being right alongside all but the top five backs in the country with this long of a run. There's only 10 running backs in the country with more than 1 run over 70+ yards, so if the run had been 1 more yard, he'd be in elite company huh? It's hardly anything to get too down about.

I like Janovich too, but Newby hopefully continues to get more opportunities and find a rhythym. I say that because Newby is obviously the running back these coaches have chosen to be the lead back in this offense, and I'd like to see Nebraska continue to stay committed ot the run game.

Nebraska is 27th in the country in rushing yards and 19th in the country in average yards per carry. We are 60th in the country as far as rushing attempts. If we commit to the run game a bit more, I imagine we get better with it, and with the increase in attempts those long rushing plays probably happen a little more often.

• Fire 1

I know True is pumping a little sunshine on the line. It was a big hole. Everybody knows anyone could have gone 10 yards without getting touched. The biggest sign of relief is that it proved Newby can bust a long run if opportunity comes it's way. To me that is key in case it happens against MSU or IOWA. If Newby is out in the open in a foot race, he is capable of going all the way. That's what I liked and needed to see. That's what tells me if a player is a homerun threat or not. Helu, Rex, and AA had speed but not like this.

• Fire 1

Is it typical for the Athletic Director to be on the sideline with the team? I never noticed it before, but Eichorst was on the sideline during the Minnesota game.

I think they pack some PBR and Runzas in a cooler for road games. Supposed to be for the Athletic Department and their family, but some of the TV crew are invited. It's not allowed above field level (I.E. press box).

This could be a rumor, or it could just be a plug for Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I loved seeing him bust that loose.

Still, it's literally the only big TD run of the year. And it came against a reeling Minnesota. If we can do something comparable like that against an MSU, I'll be convinced.

Until then, I'm going to consider our O Line as average.

Ha ha! Yeah, that'd be quite a feat. Sparty's run defense is ranked 26th right now, giving up 120 yds per game. That might not sound too impressive. But their first seven games include Air Force and Oregon, the teams with the #5 and #6 ranked rushing attacks in the nation. Sparty's rushing D probably should be ranked around #10 or so, if you account for who they've faced. Sparty held Michigan to 62 yards last Saturday. Just sayin..

We're a passing team now, so no worries. :D

If Newby is out in the open in a foot race, he is capable of going all the way. That's what I liked and needed to see. That's what tells me if a player is a homerun threat or not. Helu, Rex, and AA had speed but not like this.

Seems a little short-sighted, IMHO. Rex didn't have great top end speed, but AA was pretty good, and Helu should be in the convo, too. One of the most fun parts of the 2010 season was watching TM break those long runs untouched, but Helu had quite a few of them himself. Particularly in the Missouri game where he broke the school record.

I agree with you that it was refreshing to see Newby take one all the way but we've had guys capable of doing similar things in the past, particularly Helu. A lot of it just depends on 1) blocking and 2) how out of position the defense is.