This Play Erased So Many Question Marks

True2tRA

Well Newby did do what he was supposed to do. Find the lane and go. Unlike Cross on the 2nd and 7 late against Wisconsing .gif that's floatin around Twitter, where he had the the whole left edge sealed off and pushed back and all he had to do was run around the end and probably run over a corner and head for the endzone, instead of running right of the backs of the lineman on the opposite side.

• Fire 1

Cross-posting from another thread with Aaron Semm's take on the play.

...what I'm seeing Nebraska do, particularly in the run game, that I think really makes life simpler for a play caller, is I'm starting to see complimentary plays, and play-packages with the run game. Which is a GREAT sign.

For example, the long touchdown run that Newby had early in the ballgame. We had 4 plays off of that same package, where we lined up in unbalance, we gave jet motion, we know that we ran zone to the weakside. Later we come back off of that very same action. We run Power to the strongside. Later off that very same set and action, we actually give it on a jet sweep that was the one on-field penalty that we had, where Newby didn't get his head accross and kinda grabbed the guy by the ankle. And then that sets up the final play in the package, which is the QB counter, back away from the jet.

So when you have a package of plays like that, why that becomes important, or makes it easier for a play caller is that you're lining up, and seeing how they react to that motion, and if this DOESN'T work, plan 'B' will be there, or place 'C' in the package. Having packages of plays like that gives you something to go to. You see how a defense is going to react, and you can call your plays accordingly.

Major props and tip-of-hat to IA State Husker for the transcription :thumbs

Out of that formation, I believe we actually have a tackle eligible and cover Westy making him ineligible.

WR WR OT OG C OG OT

TE <-----WR

RB QB

• Fire 1

I thought his second TD run of nine yards was much more promising.

He actually hit quickly into the hole and when it closed made a very decisive and sharp cut back to the left and into the endzone. He actually made two defenders miss.

Fully agree with this. He had to work for that one, not just run as fast has he could for 70 yards.

I mentioned before that I thought this play was one that any of our RBs, likely even Jano, could have run and looked great doing so. The speed measure is a little harder to tell. Yes he seems to run as fast as any on the defense but do we know anything about their raw speed? Who was actually lined up and where. I believe we ran a play that Minnesota was not anticipating at all and hit it perfectly. The hole was big enough for someone in a wheelchair to get about 10 yards perhaps. I loved the play of course as it was a very critical time in the game as we were behind and Minnesota was threatening to seize early control. There could easily have been a 3 & out and a second Minne TD would have put the mental 'hex' on the Huskers on the road. We all know the team's mental state had to be at a very 'ify' point. One major falter and being down 14-0 early in the first quarter on the road to a team that had whipped us the two prior years would be very dangerous at a minimum.

All that being said, I am not sure I would judge how 'good' Newby is based on this play. He has many carries. I always believe you should take the 2 longest and the 2 shortest runs out of the stats and then compute the average yards per carry and evaluate BOTH the runner and the blocking and play success level from that result. You want to know what the 'typical' running play accomplished and there are often a few plays that can distort the averages so much. Especially the big plays. Many times you can take three pass completions out of the stats and the numbers tell a completely different story. Your pass defense may have been pretty good on all but a couple plays, for example.

I like the play design, as it was a lead draw off of the jet sweep action. I don't know if we had seen that much before.

However, the play was successful because Minny was way out of position. Newby said on Monday that anyone could have scored on that play.

Most big runs of this nature are the result of it being well blocked, which it was, and the defense being out of position or over running the play, which they were. That still doesn't take away the fact that it was blocked well and Newby had enough speed to score.

The motion in that play is a thing of beauty. As soon as Reilly goes into motion the CB steps up to blitz and the safety steps back out of run coverage. Our play call anticipated their reaction PERFECTLY. Caught them with their pants down around their ankles. This is that 1 in a 100 play that works out exactly as the offense thinks it will. You just don't see this very often. :thumbs:

I thought his second TD run of nine yards was much more promising.

He actually hit quickly into the hole and when it closed made a very decisive and sharp cut back to the left and into the endzone. He actually made two defenders miss.

I actually agree with this and I've got no love lost for Newby. That run looked good. Still no broken tackles, but at least he made people miss.

Newby is averaging 5.7 yards a carry over 7 games with zero fumbles.

If coaches need to go with the RB most likely to help them win, it may indeed by Newby, with a heavy dose of our new old fullback Janovich. No argument with the coaches there.

If Ozigbo has been a pleasant surprise, it's because he's a capable sub for Newby. I don't see him doing things that Newby can't do.

I'm most interested in Wilbon getting reps, but that's a behind-the-scenes situation I can only pretend to know about.

• Fire 3

I just watched that play again, pausing at various times right at the beginning. As I posted above, it is a great play design, and Langsdork/Riley probably saw some tendencies from the Minnesota defense on film.

However, the reason the play was so successful was a complete bust by the defense. Yes, the right side of the line opened up the hole on the right side, but that had to be helped by the fake jet-sweep action to the left. Other than that, there was no one else to block or Newby to avoid. The safeties and linebackers were flowing to the offense's left and the CB on the offense's right came on a blitz and took himself out of the play.

Great play design, and great play call. However, I don't see much out of that play that screams "Newby is a great big play runner!!!"

I loved seeing him bust that loose.

Still, it's literally the only big TD run of the year. And it came against a reeling Minnesota. If we can do something comparable like that against an MSU, I'll be convinced.

Until then, I'm going to consider our O Line as average.

Ha ha! Yeah, that'd be quite a feat. Sparty's run defense is ranked 26th right now, giving up 120 yds per game. That might not sound too impressive. But their first seven games include Air Force and Oregon, the teams with the #5 and #6 ranked rushing attacks in the nation. Sparty's rushing D probably should be ranked around #10 or so, if you account for who they've faced. Sparty held Michigan to 62 yards last Saturday. Just sayin..

Great play design, and great play call. However, I don't see much out of that play that screams "Newby is a great big play runner!!!"

You still have to have a guy that can take advantage. Reminds me of the KSU game in 2010 -- yes, the reason we ran them ragged is because their safeties were terrible with overcommitting and being in the wrong position. Still, it's not any guy that can do what Taylor did.

I loved seeing him bust that loose.

Still, it's literally the only big TD run of the year. And it came against a reeling Minnesota. If we can do something comparable like that against an MSU, I'll be convinced.

Until then, I'm going to consider our O Line as average.

Ha ha! Yeah, that'd be quite a feat. Sparty's run defense is ranked 26th right now, giving up 120 yds per game. That might not sound too impressive. But their first seven games include Air Force and Oregon, the teams with the #5 and #6 ranked rushing attacks in the nation. Sparty's rushing D probably should be ranked around #10 or so, if you account for who they've faced. Sparty held Michigan to 62 yards last Saturday. Just sayin..

Valid point. Yet that's what we are aiming for isn't it? To be able to break off big plays on the best teams.

If we can do that this week and a couple next week I'll be mildly convinced.