This Play Erased So Many Question Marks

True2tRA

I've heard Newby had speed but was glad to finally see it. He doesn't run low and hard like Rex and AA. I think that's why they could get a yard or two or three out of nothing. And they both were physical backs from the beginning of their careers. They fought, twisted and stretched for every extra yard possible as soon as contact was made. Newby runs upright mostly and is a little raw. Shies away from engaging contact. He will learn because the last two games he has started to run harder the moment he takes the handoff. This long run will only help his confidence. Got to have that as a back.

• Fire 1

True I always enjoy your posts even when I disagree with them. Having said that the only reason Newby ran untouched into the end zone was because Minnesota completely blew their coverage on that play. That was pretty clear.

Take away that run which was possible again because Minny was completely out of position defensively and Newby ends up with 47 yards rushing.

• Fire 1

So I guess the question would be: why did Minnesota run a corner blitz? Was there anything that we did in the 3-4 plays prior to Newby's run that led the Gophers to believe that a corner blitz would've been a dynamite play and we simply fooled them in the play call? If so, that answers a question of Langsdorf's play-calling ability. It was definitely nice to see Newby's speed on that run.

Anybody that thinks Tim Beck came to Nebraska to run the ball 60% of the time is fooling themselves. Tim Beck wasn't a good enough coordinator to get his passing game to be effective. If he were, Nebraska would have been passing the ball a lot more in recent histroy.

Hey I just am glad we have a philosophy, and we don't run Beck's pistol/shotgun/read-option/diamond grab bag offense.

• Fire 1

So I guess the question would be: why did Minnesota run a corner blitz? Was there anything that we did in the 3-4 plays prior to Newby's run that led the Gophers to believe that a corner blitz would've been a dynamite play and we simply fooled them in the play call? If so, that answers a question of Langsdorf's play-calling ability. It was definitely nice to see Newby's speed on that run.

It's probably a deal where they looked at the film and noticed that when the weak side corner saw motion away from him his responsibility is to blitz, so they were anticipating it, hence the success of Newby's play.

Cross-posting from another thread with Aaron Semm's take on the play.

...what I'm seeing Nebraska do, particularly in the run game, that I think really makes life simpler for a play caller, is I'm starting to see complimentary plays, and play-packages with the run game. Which is a GREAT sign.

For example, the long touchdown run that Newby had early in the ballgame. We had 4 plays off of that same package, where we lined up in unbalance, we gave jet motion, we know that we ran zone to the weakside. Later we come back off of that very same action. We run Power to the strongside. Later off that very same set and action, we actually give it on a jet sweep that was the one on-field penalty that we had, where Newby didn't get his head accross and kinda grabbed the guy by the ankle. And then that sets up the final play in the package, which is the QB counter, back away from the jet.

So when you have a package of plays like that, why that becomes important, or makes it easier for a play caller is that you're lining up, and seeing how they react to that motion, and if this DOESN'T work, plan 'B' will be there, or place 'C' in the package. Having packages of plays like that gives you something to go to. You see how a defense is going to react, and you can call your plays accordingly.

Major props and tip-of-hat to IA State Husker for the transcription :thumbs

True I always enjoy your posts even when I disagree with them. Having said that the only reason Newby ran untouched into the end zone was because Minnesota completely blew their coverage on that play. That was pretty clear.

Take away that run which was possible again because Minny was completely out of position defensively and Newby ends up with 47 yards rushing.

In fairness, Ameer Abdullah had a few of those days.

True, normally you and I see eye to eye, but the only think I saw was decisiveness from Newby...and speed.

Everyone needs to chill out because the last 3 years we were spoiled with a RB that had some of the best feet/vision I've seen since......Ahman?

We caught Minnesota in a bad alignment for the play call. The LB's were out of position only because of how they decided to line up. Put that on top of the fly sweep action, it made them slow (by design). Count was right, the PS safety was looking backside instead staying home. That's why they got burnt. Now, we don't know if Newby breaks that dudes ankle or not if that safety did stay....

That one came down to chess match more so than execution. Playcall vs Alignment, imo.

• Fire 1

I like the enthusiasm but this play told me nothing I didn't already know about Newby: He will gobble up low-hanging fruit but will never get the tough yards. He can pick up the yards the line gives him (when he gets out of his own way), but the next tackle he breaks will be his first.

The ONLY reason we still even talk about Newby is because the coaches refuse to give anyone else a shot. Even then, he's being out-classed by a fullback, who had a similarly long run against a tougher D, but had to create his own opportunity instead of having it gift wrapped for him.

• Fire 1

I like the play design, as it was a lead draw off of the jet sweep action. I don't know if we had seen that much before.

However, the play was successful because Minny was way out of position. Newby said on Monday that anyone could have scored on that play.

This is what I was thinking. Teams have been stopping the jet sweep. It is nice to see a pay that takes advantage of the D.

Yea Minnesota failed and I mentioned that in my post, but to be honest guys, Newby has had some pretty good holes open up this year and he hasn't always hit them with a full head of steam like this. Now yes, this one was fairly easy and obvious as I said in my OP, but to give Newby credit, he didn't hesitate.

I also saw that play as an opportunity to point out some good blocking up front. There are other plays I could have used. Point is, the offensive line seems to be an improved group across the board.

We also had questions a few weeks ago about if Nebraska was capable of "hitting the homerun", which I thought was a pretty ridiculous statement. This play is just one of a few examples here recently that demonstrate Nebraska is capable and may be even more capable if Newby continues to improve on hittin those running lanes with intent.