Enhance

Forty-nine is too many passes, but the problem is that our running game isn't effective. If it were, we would be more balanced- which is what Riley and Langsdorf have been saying all year they want.

Northwestern has a good defense. Give them some credit too. Especially as long as they were on the field today.

No running game is going to be effective if we just try to force it up the gut every play. I'm not even asking that we get super creative, just call an outside run play. Newby has speed, running him like he's Jerome Bettis is never going to work.

Forty-nine is too many passes, but the problem is that our running game isn't effective. If it were, we would be more balanced- which is what Riley and Langsdorf have been saying all year they want.

Northwestern has a good defense. Give them some credit too. Especially as long as they were on the field today.

Our running game should have been more effective as the 4th quarter wore on because of fatigue etc. Of course, you don't wear out a defensive front seven by throwing the ball 49 times with over half being incompletes. We punted too much but when you don't lean hard against those guys, you won't wear them down.

• Fire 1

It isn't effective because we don't commit to it, and it becomes insanely vanilla when games are close.

No running game is going to be effective if we just try to force it up the gut every play. I'm not even asking that we get super creative, just call an outside run play. Newby has speed, running him like he's Jerome Bettis is never going to work.

Our running game should have been more effective as the 4th quarter wore on because of fatigue etc. Of course, you don't wear out a defensive front seven by throwing the ball 49 times with over half being incompletes. We punted too much but when you don't lean hard against those guys, you won't wear them down.

Do you really believe you know something about football that these coaches don't?

It isn't effective because we don't commit to it, and it becomes insanely vanilla when games are close.

Do you really believe you know something about football that these coaches don't?

Yes. They may well know something about engineering that I don't. I doubt that, but they may. Just because I chose a different profession it doesn't preclude me from knowing more about someone else's altogether different profession than they do.

We ran the ball 38 times.

Why don't we just admit that the problem is not how much we passed or how much we ran, but more so how ineffective we seem to be at both. We seem to fail at the worst times.

We also throw the ball in some baffling spots. I don't like the pass on first down, and I don't like the pass on anything 3rd and 3 or less. Flip side of the coin is, Nebraska can only average 2 yards a carry, so Langs is in a tough spot.

Tommy had 291 yards passing but still looks very poor at times. Numbers don't tell the whole story there, he made some good choices and some bad ones. That pick six was ridiculously stupid. Still, if Tommy's receivers catch a few more passes the game probably goes the other way. 9 drops by seven receivers is the stat I heard. That's just plain bad.

The numbers don't lie in the run game. 38 rushes for 82 yards. This game was lost in that stat right there. More than anywhere else. This team will either decide to get a little more aggresive in the trenches, or they won't. Plain and simple. The coaches gave them more than enough opportunities to establish something on the ground.

• Fire 5

Why don't we just admit that the problem is not how much we passed or how much we ran, but more so how ineffective we seem to be at both. We seem to fail at the worst times.

We also throw the ball in some baffling spots. I don't like the pass on first down, and I don't like the pass on anything 3rd and 3 or less. Flip side of the coin is, Nebraska can only average 2 yards a carry, so Langs is in a tough spot.

Tommy had 291 yards passing but still looks very poor at times. Numbers don't tell the whole story there, he made some good choices and some bad ones. That pick six was ridiculously stupid. Still, if Tommy's receivers catch a few more passes the game probably goes the other way. 9 drops by seven receivers is the stat I heard. That's just plain bad.

The numbers don't lie in the run game. 38 rushes for 82 yards. This game was lost in that stat right there. More than anywhere else. This team will either decide to get a little more aggresive in the trenches, or they won't. Plain and simple. The coaches gave them more than enough opportunities to establish something on the ground.

Good post. It would be nice if it was just as simple as "run the ball more", but that just isn't the case. We all forget how many times we were just stuffed on the run.

We had the ball for approximately 75% of the game. Their D should have been gassed. As mentioned above, where was Jano.

The bottom line is we have hired a staff, that like Cally, is married to a system that doesn't fit the talent we have on hand. OK. I get that. So for sh!ts and giggles lets give him time to get "his guys" here. You know what we will have then? The same sh!t show he had in the PAC 12. A .536 record and a bottom feeding program that gets farther and farther away from the top. Its not his current performance (3-5), but his cumulative body of work that says the guy is average at best.

In 13 seasons, he has (4) 9+ wins and never finished ranked higher than 20..... His best season? 10-4. Guess what, he finished ranked #21 that year. Why. Because he still lost 4 friggin games. Awesome. Why the hell did we hire this guy with this awesome record of getting it done? What in his body of works says he's a good coach or will "get us back". Absolutely nothing. Nada, zip.

This staff is showing the best they can do. Keep the losses respectable. Maybe catch a break or two and we are 6-2. Guess what. Even if we then won 2 more we are at 8 wins and 4 losses. not bad, but that isn't predicted on good coaching, athleticism etc.... Its on plain old fashioned luck. Never should have been in the position to allow BYU, NW, Illinoi or Wisky to even be close. Poor clock management, play calling, scheme etc cost us those games.... Not lack of athleticism. No way these kids (seniors- Soph) were that bad under Bo. Hell they are all 9 game winners. They had talent to win at least 9 every friggin year they were here. Then in comes Mr Rogers (the anti Bo) and this is what we get. The same kids who were good enough to win 9, now might lose out. Kids my a$$. Thats Riley and this craptastic staff he's put together.

Al I want to hear at the press conference is that he will be making some significant staff changes at the end of the season. Apologize to the team, school and fans for bringing some of this staff and that everyone deserves better. Then walk off and start looking at some serious pipe hitters to bring in.

• Fire 4

Oh that line. I think most of us are convinced that a competent coaching staff could coach this team to a better record than 3-5. Where in our posts did we say we should coach Nebraska?

The numbers don't lie, but if you watch the game you can clearly see we were not creative in the run game. Of course we are going to run for such a poor average when we just run it right up the gut. The few times we went outside, Tommy on the option and that second touchdown run it was successful. There is a stat that our team is awful running between the tackles, but when we run outside the tackles we average something like 6+ yards a carry. Even the terrible commentating crew pointed out how Iowa and Michigan were having so much success running outside against Northwestern. Yet this staff thinks they have Jerome Bettis and runs Newby right up the gut constantly with no success.

• Fire 1

It seemed like whenever we did get a nice 4-6 yards on the ground there was no attempt to build on it. We just started slinging it around for no good reason.

Anything more than 25 pass attempts is usually too many pass attempts. Counting the 2 sacks, Langsderp dialed up 51 pass plays. That's filthy.

• Fire 2

This staff believes that throwing sets up the run. So if we don't throw it well, we're in trouble. I don't think it's a great philosophy given our personnel, but they seem willing to live or die by it.

I don't think Langsdorf could come up with an effective run heavy offense if he wanted to.

I don't remember the exact statistic, but I heard someone say on the radio that the vast majority of our failed drives that resulted in punts had 2 passes and a run. Only one drive that failed had 2 runs and a pass, and that drive included the jet sweep play.

I can't be convinced that they're trying in the run game when I look at their approach to the run game. The coaches don't really give it a chance to gain rhythm. Imani Cross has been virtually non-existent all season and then all of a sudden shows up for 7 carries? Andy Janovich, who is just a hell of a football player, gets only two carries? Pierson-El, one of the fastest guys on our team, gets one carry?

Newby had opportunities, but where is Ozigbo? He came in against Illinois and average 10 yards a carry.

You bring up a great point, alwayshusking, something that I think is driving fans like myself crazy. A coach can talk philosophy and scheme all day, but when it comes to Saturday, that scheme better work. If you believe the pass sets up the run then great, but you better damn well be sure that actually happens in a game when it matters. If it doesn't, then your philosophy isn't working.

Northwestern was susceptible. But, our offensive line struggled and we don't have a clear identity or plan of attack.

• Fire 1